Pine green Nuova super 1300 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Pine green Nuova super 1300

Hello everyone,

Long time reader on this forum, finally this summer I imported a Giulia Nouva Super, very happy with it, although I have not driven it much as it is wintertime. Already installed lowered springs, "sports" exhaust and sump guard. After finally got the plates and registration, went for quick drive to find out that only 3 cylinders are running, and the alternator bearings are making loud noises.

So now I'm in the process of replacing the bearings in the alternator, getting new leads, points, rotor arm, plugs. While there, we will refurb the solex carburetors with help from a friend. We took off the inlet manifold as well to check the rubber carb mounts, which looked cracked from the outer side, but I can not see visible cracks on the inner side... Now in the dilemma whether I should replace them or not, as i heard these old mounts are better quality than the aftermarket ones that I can order online.

Also I took of the filter king glass housing to reveal a quite dirty fuel filter, with brown sludge at the bottom of the glass, the filter might have been not replaced for a couple of years. Than I checked the petrol tank, it seems lightly rusty but when I scratch the inside with a screwdriver it does not leave a mark or flakes, so the surface looks stable and petrol inside (fresh) looks clear and transparent.

Could you give some advice whether I should get a new tank and rubber mounts? I will take some pics later today of how they look like.
Attached Images

sgrinavi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:23 AM

It seems like your tank will need a cleaning. I would not rebuild the carbs without having the tank cleaned by a radiator shop. I can't say it will require a coating inside. The shop should tell you if they recommend it after they have scoped it. A little discoloration won't harm anything and be a problem if you keep fresh gas and filters on it. Once the tank is cleaned it should be ok with fresh gas and the bowl filter. I would also install an inline filter. If the car came from Italy, I would bet there is no antifreeze in the cooling system. For some reasons, the Italians famously think it is a waste of time and money to put anti-freeze in the system. The three cars I imported had only water in them. I would also flush the brakes. You might want to update your profile to tell us what part of the world you live in.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

I bought the car from Germany, so some maintenance was already done by the previous owner who originally imported it from Italy a couple of years back. Breaks, suspension, was overhauled and put in order, also got fresh antifreeze as well, although I could see signs that it was probably used with plain water sometime in its life.

I'm still debating, whether I should try to do some DIY tank sealer treatment like POR15, their kit is available locally, but I suspect it would a bit messy project to do. As far as cleaning the tank I could not find such service locally yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:06 AM

I don't believe in tank sealers. .. To me it is the equivalent of cleaning air ducts.. it is a scam. Either way you have to remove the tank and get a local expert opinion who is capable of doing the job professionally. If your tank is so bad inside, I would rather hunt for a clean used one or replace it with a new one.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 02-06-2019 at 07:09 AM.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 AM

Garage
I really love that color on Giulias - and would like to see more pictures

What springs did you choose? For my Berlina I am about to choose Eibach in combination with red Koni shocks, but not finally decided.

Cheers
Joerg

Oo-\°/-oO
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

I got the springs from classicalfa, they look great, for me not too low, but need to be careful with speedbumps, -40 mm front and back, Eibach brand, shocks stayed factory items for now.

Too bad about tank seal, I was kind of sceptical too when I read the instructions, I guess first thing will be to remove the tank and drain petrol I'm little bit afraid the the rubber boot will be damaged, the one around the filler cap, as it is quite cold in the garage, it seems rock hard.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:13 AM

The boot thing is a real monkey to deal with. It might be wise to heat it with a hair drier as you trying to get the tank out. Tanks in GTV's are a pain too. I've never done it and the group might have some tips if you start a new thread.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:41 PM

The old, hard filler neck seal will be a pain. I did once manage to remove and reinstall, but it was so hard to do that I never wanted to do it again, and I did some damage. So next time I bought a new seal....it was so pliable/soft in comparison that I wouldn't consider wrestling with an old, hard one again.

Re tank sealers...they work, but the impression I get is that they are mostly used to rescue leaky, pin-holed tanks. You need to PRECISELY follow the instructions, or it will fail, and isn't cheap. If it's that bad (really rusty/pin-holed) and you can buy a new one off the shelf, why bother...
A fuel tank with petrol in it won't rust. Get any water out, get any loose rust out (I know people who have used things like gravel and shake like buggery (:-o) wash/dry, inspect, fill it up and go. Divotandtralee's advice in post #4 is good. If you're in any doubt get someone to assess it.
divotandtralee and Anfanuts like this.

Last edited by Ranz; 02-09-2019 at 03:02 AM.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:01 PM

I have a '72 Super and was bedeviled by water entering the trunk (boot). I would get water in after washing the car!!!! I replaced the opening lid gasket and the push button lock gasket and it still leaked enough to fill the flange around the fuel tank every time, with no traces anywhere else. I even thought the tail lights were the cause. Seems the water entered around the cracked filler boot and migrated undetected to the tank flange. The boot is a PITA to change but it was worth the beer to celebrate. If you have to remove the one on the car, don't even try to salvage it. The new one will go in with some trickery, I can't recall but it is a bear even for the expert who told me it would be. He was correct.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 03:16 PM

Garage
Wow, what a beauty. Love the color. Just perfect.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments everyone,

I had some findings yesterday, after closer inspection it seems that the carb rubber mounts are cracked on the inside as well, so I'm ordering new ones...

On the fuel tank, I took some pictures, and looked around for professional services, it seems that the cost of refinish is about 60-70% of a brand new fuel tank, so I'm leaning towards the later.

If I reach in to the inner side of the tank, it leaves fine brown powdery marks on my glove. We are planning to do long road trips around Europe, so would like to make the giulia as reliable as possible.

Managed to wiggle off the rubber filler neck boot as well, but unfortunately there is a 10 mm crack at the lower corner by the fuel door hinge, I guess needs to be replaced as well...
Attached Images

spirito likes this.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 AM

I don't see anything unusual. There will always be some fine particulates in a gas tank enough to show on a glove inspection. The early Giuliettas and Giulias have a cylindrical screen in the bottom bung to collect them at the bottom of the tank before the gas is pumped to the engine. I assume you opened the tank at the fuel level sender. If you "fish" around the bottom of the tank with flexible magnetic parts retriever and don't come up with "corn flakes" but perhaps only some "fuzz" on the magnet, I would say you are good to go. This is what to expect and the inline filters will do their job. If the gas is over 6-12 months old, pump it out as best you can and fill with fresh.Just my two cents. In line filters have a value and expect to collect some solids.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, I'm confused ... So do think I could keep use the tank as is? Without any treatment? The fuel I removed is fresh, just put in there, but before there was 3 months where it was kind of empty, as the gauge was showing full, and I did not used the car at the time. There is a small metal screen at the bottom of the fuel sender, and it seems totally clean as well as the whole sender unit as well.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:18 AM

Yes.. button it up and forget it. You aren't going to hurt anything and you won't be stranded on the side of the road.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

That is great news, thanks . Your comments are highly appreciated.
What do you think about the rubber boot around the filler neck? Is there any danger in using it if there is a crack in it? I guess water could get into the boot through door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode