Floor pan spot welds and gearbox removal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Floor pan spot welds and gearbox removal

Hey there

Two questions

I'm looking for a guide (or a thread?) about the spot welds in the floorpans. I know about the ones between the pans but other than that i have only discovered some when i ground down the seam sealer + some paint, but there must be many more. :-)

I need to remove the gearbox in that car as well - does removing the floorpans help in anyway to remove the gearbox (without pulling the engine)?

Thanks a lot!
Alessandro

Learning, learning..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:33 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroM View Post
I'm looking for a guide (or a thread?) about the spot welds in the floorpans. I know about the ones between the pans but other than that i have only discovered some when i ground down the seam sealer + some paint, but there must be many more. :-)
The floor pans are spot welded around their extremities; to gearbox tunnel, bulkhead, chassis rails (twice) and rear seat kick panel (I think that is what it is called). The gearbox mount is also spot welded to the floor panel, and there is a cross member in the floor panel middle. Lastly but most importantly to the engine bay member that runs from the front of the car, connects to the bulkhead and under the floor pans until it reaches the previously mentioned cross member (which takes the loads out to the chassis rail and gearbox tunnel). You also will have to confirm safety belt mount reinforcements are there.

Quote:
I need to remove the gearbox in that car as well - does removing the floorpans help in anyway to remove the gearbox (without pulling the engine)?
No. But will make spot welding the floor to the gearbox tunnel easier, I think.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Pete

How are the panels welded to the sills? I wasn't able to find any up top.

Is there any standard documentation on the spot welds or is it just too obvious for most people, not so much many threads seem to cover these.

-Alessandro

Learning, learning..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:09 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
This thread will help you: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car...ts-detail.html

Hope this cross section helps:
Pete
Attached Images

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:06 AM

Garage
That's a good general cross section of the rockers. At the A pillar there's an additional member between the inner and middle.
Removing the gearbox is tricky for two reasons, if you have standing pedals and floor shift. The short clutch arm has to be removed, that means removal of the nut and knocking out the cross pin. The other thing are the ears on the bellhousing left over from a column shift cars that get in the way of pulling the trans back far enough to clear the clutch. 30 years ago I carefully trimmed the bellhousing and covered the holes with aluminium tape.
I'll put some pictures up.

George
64 TI (the violin), 87 911 Carrera coupe, 89 Peugeot 505 Turbo Wagon sleeper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode