Just bought a '67 Giulia Super, a light recommissioning commences - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Colour me envious.
GoldCloverLeaf likes this.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to GoldCloverLeaf
Finally, i have taken some decent photos. I had an alignment job done up the road at Classic Speed Shop (highly recommended). There was some rubbing on the left rear wheel, luckily the trunion was shimmed over, so removing one of the shims fixed the issue. I don't mind the current wheels but not my first choice, plus the offset isn't ideal but i will leave them for now. I have the restored set of original steel wheels with perfect caps which came with the car, although i do really like the GTA and TZ reproduction wheels... would be a tough choice.

I'll be putting the bumpers back on at some stage, the rear bumper is bent at both corners, i'm waiting on a couple NOS corners to arrive and will restore them back to original.

The car drives very well, impressed with the PO's work on the suspension, it was a very thorough rebuild. The rebound on the Koni reds seems a bit tight, so i'll take one of the shocks off to see how it's been adjusted - i think they get shipped in the fully soft position, so i'll check to see if they have been wound up.

Other than that, i just ordered some new valve stem seals, i believe the old ones have perished due to the car sitting so long (just over 10 years), going through the history, it's only done 16,000kms since the head was done (valve guides etc), so i'll make up a tool so i can replace the seals in situ without taking the head off, i figure it's worth a gamble as the engine seems very healthy otherwise, just getting some blue smoke after engine braking... so cross fingers.

As you can see in the photos, the colour looks quite different depending on the light, i spent the best part of a day cutting/buffing and hand polishing the car, although i must say, not bad for a 30 year old repaint.
Attached Images

deepblue likes this.

For the Road: '67 Giulia Super, '85 GTV6
For the Off Road: '85 Unimog U1700L, '01 Defender Td5
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

And couple more... what a car!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Gold Subscriber

Outstanding!!!

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 AM

looks really sweet, the bootlid came up great and that elbow work has paid off!

Shows how nice the shape, pure form, of the Giulia is....

Cheers.

'74 2000 GTV - Robinia Metallizzato, '73 1.3 Giulia Super - Giallo Prototipo, '68 1750 S1 Berlina - Verde Oliva Metallizzato
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:09 AM

Garage
The more I look on these sedans... the more I want one... Just a beautiful car with plenty of character.

LOVE IT!!!!

Regards

Thomas

Thomas Linser
(Jan 1967 1300 GT Junior, in bluette w/oxblood skai inetrior)
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:31 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I just love these without bumpers - the overall shape of the car really comes through better. Also, love the while cloverleaf on the dark car! I have a dark blue super and never thought about a white one....

1973 Giulia Super 1.3 - Blu Olandese - 1750 Nord
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

It does look good with the bumpers off, however it's a requirement of historic registration to keep them fitted apparently (how boring i know!). I'll see how they look after i replace the end caps and polish them up.

I always liked the look of the GTA 1300 juniors that are white with a green cloverleaf and a green stripe, i wondered how a green super would look with a white cloverleaf and a white stripe, but i chickened out on the stripe part, i'll let someone else try that first.

post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
No stock Giulia sedans (62-77) had oil temp indication, only the GT's. The sender on the canister oil filter is the low oil pressure idiot light as with the other 105's.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

If that's he case i wonder why they didn't install a low oil pressure light... at least not on european / australia spec cars. Were they installed on US spec cars? No mention of it in the owners manual either - refer attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Super Dash.pdf (1.17 MB, 20 views)

post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:29 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCloverLeaf View Post
If that's he case i wonder why they didn't install a low oil pressure light... at least not on european / australia spec cars. Were they installed on US spec cars? No mention of it in the owners manual either - refer attached.
Correct but you apparently have a 1750 engine and that was added then, 69 or so, to the 1750 lineup. No Oil LP switch/light on Supers. Supers only had 1300 & 1600 engines originally.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 05-19-2019 at 07:34 AM.
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thumbs up

After 40+ years of off-and-on Alfa ownership, I hate to think about all the times I've wondered, "Why didn't they" or "Why would they".

Thanks for the additional photos; I love the white cloverleaf, agree about the white stripe and the bumpers.

I can't believe how great this car looks, especially in the slightly-diminished light of the early evening!

Sort it out as you need to, but JUST DON'T DO NUTHIN' to this beautiful car, except drive it. I have seen lots of very nice Supers (almost bought two) and yours is one that anyone would be very proud to own.

Whatever the real Aussie expression is for "Well done, Mate", that's what goes here!

Take a photo of it in front of the Sidney Opera House: two classics in one photo!

Ray

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed

Last edited by Raimondo; 05-19-2019 at 09:25 PM.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
Correct but you apparently have a 1750 engine and that was added then, 69 or so, to the 1750 lineup. No Oil LP switch/light on Supers. Supers only had 1300 & 1600 engines originally.
Well that's news to me. The engine number starts with AR00526... looking at Fusi's documents that is correct for a 1600. I think the 1750's started at something like AR0548...

I'm guessing the oil filter canister came off something else, but the real mystery is the wiring loom to it looks original. I'll have to trace it one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimondo View Post
After 40+ years of off-and-on Alfa ownership, I hate to think about all the times I've wondered, "Why didn't they" or "Why would they", that I hate to think about it.

Thanks for the additional photos; I love the white cloverleaf, agree about the white stripe and the bumpers.

I can't believe how great this car looks, especially in the slightly-diminished light of the early evening!

Sort it out as you need to, but JUST DON'T DO NUTHIN' to this beautiful car, except drive it. I have seen lots of very nice Supers (almost bought two) and yours is one that anyone would be very proud to own.

Whatever the real Aussie expression is for "Well done, Mate", that's what goes here!

Take a photo of it in front of the Sidney Opera House: two classics in one photo!

Ray
Thanks Ray, i'll definitely be enjoying it. And good idea regarding the opera house, that is a possibility! And period correct too, the opera house would have looked something like this when the car was new. It wasn't finished until 1973.
Attached Images

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Gold Subscriber

Whels look V. good.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:57 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCloverLeaf View Post
Well that's news to me. The engine number starts with AR00526... looking at Fusi's documents that is correct for a 1600. I think the 1750's started at something like AR0548...

I'm guessing the oil filter canister came off something else, but the real mystery is the wiring loom to it looks original. I'll have to trace it one day.
I must have misred something in someone else's sig block thinking you had a 1750 in it. Sorry. I'd need to check my 65 to see if there is even a boss on the cannister filter top for the oil pressure switch. Maybe some PO put one on with an light in the past. On 1750's it's the little red round crustal thing with the chrome ring. Woildn;pt take much to drill a hole and put one in. Or it's a later caniseter from some rebuild. B

Last edited by Anfanuts; 05-19-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode