New aquisition ... 73 Berlina Twin Spark - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:26 PM

Just have to pop in and say that is very, very nice looking!
pinshaw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow, guess its happy birthday for the Berlina, was a year ago I picked her up

So Windshield is delayed due to installer heading out of town

Found these clips and think I remember them holding the headliner, but was surprised there were 24? of them
Also thought there was a long plastic trim that held the headliner on the edge behind the mirror
Can you lmk if these were stock or Im just missing something?

Wood pieces are making progress. Had to go to plan B, so bought mahogany veneer and glued that directly over the old pieces.
May have to work the edge a lil to get trim around, but they look great and trimmed up nicely
did several stain trials and went w a couple coats of red mahogany
Letting it dry over the weekend before applying varnish.

Gonna be a push to get it all done for Monterey next weekend, but been there before
Attached Images

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 67 Giulia Super Project, 73 Berlina TS, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
post #108 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:35 AM

Great morning read over coffee. I love the resto, paint and upholstery are great together.

The depth of knowledge on this board is staggering. I have not acquired my own project (yet) but will have confidence when I start that there is a huge reservoir of experience to tap into.

Can't wait to see this finished!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the windshield in last night. 2.5 hours,no wonder they were putting it off. Dash inserts in, console together but not in yet Double checking some electrical with mechanic n figured better out than in right now getting closer to driving n sorting all that out. the fun part.
Attached Images

gregc57 likes this.

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 67 Giulia Super Project, 73 Berlina TS, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
post #110 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Spent today sorting starting issue, turns out it was a bad relay Felt good to work my through the maze until I reached that point n now I can actually drive it. Crazy. So next up is to install console, sort out the gauges that arent working, replace limiting straps in back n tease the exhaust. Seems kind of pedestrian at the moment. Ill see how I feel once I really take it for a drive. Brakes are good, horn works, gas gauge solid. Prob due for a basic tune with fresh oil, fluids n plugs. Maybe an alignment since its lower now. Easy stuff.
Attached Images

post #111 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:42 PM

Someone on the BB referred to Berlinas as 'the next big thing'. Yours is it, well done!
pinshaw and Backto105 like this.

Current Next Big Thing: '69 Berlina-Cava Beige. Back In The Day: '69 Berlina-Amaranto; '71 Berlina-Verde Olivia; '69 Berlina-Grigio Medio; '69 Giulia Super-Anthracite Inglise
post #112 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, its been a labor of love. I keep hearing how well they drive. nice to be able to finally test that out n see. Twinspark should be fun to play with as well. win win

post #113 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, thought the exhaust seemed a lil off so I crawled up under to see the stock 3 box unit, complete with a hole in the first one. Thought about just deleting the one but broke down n ordered a ss system from Alfaholics instead.
Attached Images

post #114 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi, just catching up to this thread (and Andrew's posts covering the recent repaint of his Super), and inspired to see the results of your work on the Berlina. My '73 (bought in 1989) has been patiently waiting for the time and resources to get the body, paint and interior done, and seeing the process happen in the photos makes it seem more doable.

I think the Berlina's styling looks better today than it did 10 years ago, maybe because it is so different from the way "normal" cars look now. So heartwarming to hear things like "Berlinas are the next big thing," too.

//dj
pinshaw likes this.
post #115 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

PS, I like those front side-markers. I've long thought, when I get around to redoing my Berlina, of replacing the big rectangle ones with something a little more in scale.
post #116 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. I bought those for another car, but werent the right ones Seemed to match the berlina better. Luckily the large hole matched these perfectly. .

post #117 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hopped on the freeway for first time since buying it to pickup my daughter n all I can say is woohoo! what a blast! great on tight onramp, it just squirted out of the corner. Engine is ridiculous torque wise. not sure what Martin did to gearbox, its the best ive ever used. literally just slips into gear, with so little effort. maybe its years of driving race cars, n thus is normal, but I love it, so effortless.

Think the one thing that stands out compared with other cars is the seating position. not used to sitting up as high n seats are soft n not bolstered. I get why you'd change seats if really more aggressive driving wise. I had thoughts of putting my new Giulia seats into the Super n now it make more sense to pursue that idea.

Anyway. gotta work on gauges, console, add a side mirror ( def needs it) fix wing wing, little stuff. Still up in the air in side rocker trim. Theyre sitting there all polished but since i cant find the right clips, theyre not installed. Starting to like the way it looks without them. Sure more will pop up after driving it more but fir now, its fun n worth the all the work.

post #118 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Sounds like a blast. Are you happy with the new exhaust system?
//dj
pinshaw likes this.
post #119 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:11 PM

Garage
Love the colour

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #120 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exhaust is good. Maybe its the engine but still kinda normal sounding at lower rpms, but thumps at higher ones. Def breathes better

Had a wierd thing happen today. Coil #1 decided to have a melt down. Was wondering why it stalled at lights after things got warm, now I know. Thought idle was set too low n went to adjust it n well, melted goop on the inner fender

So parked it, mounted the mirror, fixed wing wing, adjusted passenger door latch n fix drivers window that wasnt closing.

now I'm hunting down a coil n looking at the Alfaholics 3d mapped system, which looks good but seriously, the stick setup is pretty **** impressive out of the box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in