1750 Berlina - my new ride - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

1750 Berlina - my new ride

Been a while - I've been Alfaless for a few years.
Taken a detour to Japanese and English classics, always with the plan to get back to Italy - to Alfa.
I've been through a long thought process - chrome bumper Alfetta GTV, maybe Giulia again, even a flirt with Fiat 124B Coupe and Lancia Monte Carlo. But now I am close. So **** close.
I've taken a look at a 1750 Berlina.
It looks and drives great.
Small cosmetic things that need fixing.

Question that the experts may help me in answering:
1. Front grille and lights are from a 2000 - is it possible to get hold of an original 1750?
2. Rear lights look like originals - but are there differences between series 1 and 2 cars?
3. Engine has been replaced by 2 litre unit - fine by me
4. Chassis number is: AR 1763386. Can anyone help with model and production date details?
5. The retainer straps/levers are missing on all 4 doors - but new ones will come with the car. But the mounting bracket on the door opening is missing on three of the doors - can they be sourced?

If I am lucky, it will be parked in my garage in a couple of weeks.

Plans are:
a. Get hold of an original 1750 front grille and lights
b. Lower it at the rear end - probably get Alfaholics springs and shocks - experience/recommendations
c. Seems ok at the front, but may consider a slight lowering - experience/recommendations

I've had a numb er of Giulia Supers, but this one seems to a lot more 'laid 'back' when driving at 60-80mph, but could use a slight tightening of the suspension - hence the lowering.

I will primarily be using the Berlina for lot's of summer driving - winding country roads, short sprints on motorways and long distance on B roads with speed limits of around 60-70mph.
Track days will be maybe once a year.

So, what are your thoughts.
Attached Images

Current - 1750 Berlina. Past - Giulia x 3, 75 Evoluzione, 155, 156, 146, Lotus Europa, Jaguar 420G and many more.

Last edited by perholmen; 06-11-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Likely has a 4.3 axle, slightly longer gearing than a Super. They're a bit longer, a bit quieter, a bit heavier. I like them better as freeway/long distance cars.
Congratulations. Had my 69 1750 out yesterday, 100 miles, just boomed along.
Andrew
sunvalleyalfa likes this.
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:19 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Don't know about that front. The directionals should mount on the bumper and not in the body of the car. You might want to dig a bit deeper just to make sure of what your getting.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Don't know about that front. The directionals should mount on the bumper and not in the body of the car. You might want to dig a bit deeper just to make sure of what your getting.
Its a Euro car. Only the U.S. cars had the lights on the bumpers.
spydaman likes this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:48 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Its a Euro car. Only the U.S. cars had the lights on the bumpers.
Jim, European 1750 Berlinas have directionals on the top of the bumper like the 1750 GTV's.
Attached Images

post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:37 PM
Platinum Subscriber

There are two kinds of non-US lights and two kinds of US lights. First series 1750 had the turn signals on the bumper, like my 69 Canadian car. Then they moved to the body just under the headight above the bumper. US cars were all below the bumper, first the small 69 lights, common to GTV, then in 71 the larger rectangular lights common to GTV and Spider. On my Berlina thread there's a pic of all four types at Alice's/Sky Londa on the last Berlina drive. I'll get the link.
Andrew
Zagato_Olaf likes this.
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Platinum Subscriber

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/seda...berlina-6.html
Post 88 shows US and non-US 1750 and US and non-US 2000, all four kinds of lights.
Andrew
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:33 PM

Andrew is correct. This is a (very nice looking) series 2. Brian - the photo you posted is a series 1 which as you correctly point out had front indicators mounted on top of the bumper.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:16 AM
Platinum Subscriber

If that is the worst of the issues I say go for it. None of them is critical (rust) and all sound easily fixable. Some parts take time to find, but I was amazed when I asked if anyone had had any Berlina bumpers and two people in small Portland had some in their stash.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1984 GTV6, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 97 164LS
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:02 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
There are two kinds of non-US lights and two kinds of US lights. First series 1750 had the turn signals on the bumper, like my 69 Canadian car. Then they moved to the body just under the headight above the bumper. US cars were all below the bumper, first the small 69 lights, common to GTV, then in 71 the larger rectangular lights common to GTV and Spider. On my Berlina thread there's a pic of all four types at Alice's/Sky Londa on the last Berlina drive. I'll get the link.
Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
Andrew is correct. This is a (very nice looking) series 2. Brian - the photo you posted is a series 1 which as you correctly point out had front indicators mounted on top of the bumper.
Thanks for correcting me.

post #11 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Digging deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post

I agree, and would dig deeper too. Everything points to this being a 1750 Berlina (eurospec). However, this car may have been in a front end collision. The grille being incorrect is one thing, but this car should not have the outer headlights the same size of the inners. The outers on a 1750 berlina are larger (7" I think). As well, the front bumper is incorrect. Its also from a 2000. So someone along the way got the parts from a 2000 front and adapted them to this car. I would dig deeper!

Anthony
72 GTV, 72 GTV (Sold), 74 Berlina (Project), 72 Spider (Sold), 76 Spider (Sold), 70 GTJ
post #12 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:30 PM

From the Pics above, it says Series 2 ..... but yes the grill // headlights are incorrect.

.S2 centre console
.S2 steering wheel albeit wrong centre
.S2 headlining (no black insert either side of rear screen)
.S2 front side markers
.S2 front bumper
.S2 body mounted indicators
.S2 bootlid with rear alfa badge
.S2 rear 1750 badge next to number plate (no black & white alfa badge)

Serial number puts it in the S2 date range (Andrew could confirm ?)

If the body checks out, go for it I say!

Cheers,

Paul.

'74 2000 GTV - Robinia Metallizzato, '73 1.3 Giulia Super - Giallo Prototipo, '68 1750 S1 Berlina - Verde Oliva Metallizzato
post #13 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV-074 View Post
From the Pics above, it says Series 2 ..... but yes the grill // headlights are incorrect.

.S2 centre console
.S2 steering wheel albeit wrong centre
.S2 headlining (no black insert either side of rear screen)
.S2 front side markers
.S2 front bumper
.S2 body mounted indicators
.S2 bootlid with rear alfa badge
.S2 rear 1750 badge next to number plate (no black & white alfa badge)

Serial number puts it in the S2 date range (Andrew could confirm ?)

If the body checks out, go for it I say!

Cheers,

Paul.
Agreed!

My first Alfa was a ‘71 series 2 1750 Berlina in NZ. Great car, sold me on the marque.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #14 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - I was pretty sure that it is a S1 EURO spec. But is it possible to get hold of an original 1750 front grille and lights?
Chassis number is: AR 1763386. I guess I can write to the Storico Alfa to get the details
And last, but not least, the retainer straps/levers are missing on all 4 doors - but new ones will come with the car. But the mounting bracket on the door opening is missing on three of the doors - can they be sourced?

And any experience advice on rear springs, shocks ans front and rear sway bar?

Current - 1750 Berlina. Past - Giulia x 3, 75 Evoluzione, 155, 156, 146, Lotus Europa, Jaguar 420G and many more.
post #15 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:16 PM

You may find this thread from a few years ago useful. It mainly concerns Supers but the spring recommendations should also apply to Berlinas as well as Supers.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/seda...oad-super.html

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode