Door pin removal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By carl750

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Door pin removal

This is on late Super (Nuova) ......... the hinge pins are the "split pin" type. Because they are split pin I would assume they come out fairly easily. However, while it looks like there is plenty of room to drive the upper pin "down & out". There does not appear to be room to drive the lower "down & out" .... it would hit the door before it got all the way out ........... and to drive it "up and out" would require a strange curved punch or something to do it. I would appreciate advice from somebody who has done this in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I remember facing this once, don't recall my solution, and saw a car in which someone cut an access hole. Ugh.
Remove the door, hinges and all, and drive the pin out? Maybe not the answer you want. Drill it out with a right-angle drill fixture? If the pin has a step or offset worn in it, it may be very reluctant to come out. How about an offset rivet driver and air hammer?
Andrew
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

With a half dozen different diameter and length brass punches they came out ........... top one downward and bottom one upward.
The worst out-of-round is in the hinges attached to the doors.

Now to work on solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Looking at parts manual for earlier Super it appears that the hinge on door is welded in place ........ correct?
Hinge on body is bolted in place ........ correct?

Would it be a mistake to try to remove the hinges on the body? ....... to ream out for bushings
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:52 AM

I am not looking forward to doing my top pin on the front doors of my Berlina.

It would be great if you could put up a few pics. I'd love to see what the pins that came out look like.

I purchased some new pins (see this thread - http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/seda...or-hinges.html)

but have yet to fit them. I have a concern as mentioned in the thread.

Cheers,

Paul.

'74 2000 GTV - Robinia Metallizzato, '73 1.3 Giulia Super - Giallo Prototipo, '68 1750 S1 Berlina - Verde Oliva Metallizzato
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

Like car1750, I used different sized punches on the rear door on my berlina, haven't tackled the front yet. Cardisk shows using an odd angled punch for removal. Steck(?) makes one that looks similar that I'm temped to order

87 graduate, 81 gtv6, 91 164s, 73 berlina 79 Mille miglia GONE: 76 alfetta gt, 74 berlina, 85 gtv6, 79 spider
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Attached is a Internet image (probably clearer than a photo)
Attached Images

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Solution

The wear is completely in the hinges ...... the split pin is much, much harder and had no wear.
Here is my solution to these hinge problems.

I installed 8 "Dry-Running Sleeve Bearing with Steel Shell, PTFE-Lined TIN Bronze, for 6mm Shaft Diameter" purchased from McMaster-Carr (#6679k11). These 8 mm OD bearings slipped nicely into the hinges since the old split pins were 8 mm .... I did wrap the bearings that went into the hinges on the door in a 0.003" sheet of shim stock since they were worn so much that bearing would fall through. Not a real "press fit", but good enough.

Then I tossed the 8 mm split pins and replaced them with hardened 6 mm rod that I threaded for 6 mm nyloc-nut. The pins I made were just like the ones that came from the factory with my Giulietta Sprint Veloce. ........... I went retro

All is nice and tight now .......... still need to adjust the lock, but enough for today.
Attached Images

alfavulcan likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl750 View Post
The wear is completely in the hinges ...... the split pin is much, much harder and had no wear.
Here is my solution to these hinge problems.

I installed 8 "Dry-Running Sleeve Bearing with Steel Shell, PTFE-Lined TIN Bronze, for 6mm Shaft Diameter" purchased from McMaster-Carr (#6679k11). These 8 mm OD bearings slipped nicely into the hinges since the old split pins were 8 mm .... I did wrap the bearings that went into the hinges on the door in a 0.003" sheet of shim stock since they were worn so much that bearing would fall through. Not a real "press fit", but good enough.

Then I tossed the 8 mm split pins and replaced them with hardened 6 mm rod that I threaded for 6 mm nyloc-nut. The pins I made were just like the ones that came from the factory with my Giulietta Sprint Veloce. ........... I went retro

All is nice and tight now .......... still need to adjust the lock, but enough for today.
Nice solution. Where did you get the hardened pins and how did you cut the thread or did you cut the thread and then harden.

Loctite will have a retaining compound that could be used to hold the bearings in the hinge. Select a product to suit the gap you encounter. Likely one of their 600 series. Probably would want to put the pin through while compound sets.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/ca/...compounds.html

Regards

Ken

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
ex- 1965 GTA, RHD, Corsa, Trans/Am 66-72
1964 Sprint GT, B-Sedan in 70's
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode