Dashboard Wiring `65 Ti - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you George. Just to make sure I`m on the same wavelength Blk is black?,GY = grey?,TAN = ?. Y is obviously yellow, and R red.
Rev counter spring looks like a tangled piece of spaghetti so will have to replace spring and for some reason speedometer doesn`t work either despite new cable but speedo has never worked since we`ve owned the car so sorting that out too.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Guys,

Just for my 2 cents worth. The Factory gauges for Ti Supers were from Giulietta Sprint. I made the mistake when building my replica in selecting 2600 gauges... they look very similar to the Giulietta ones especially the tri-gauge. Sorry to digress.

I do have a laminated Ti wiring diagram if it helps Alfavirusnz.

Jim
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz View Post
Thank you George. Just to make sure I`m on the same wavelength Blk is black?,GY = grey?,TAN = ?. Y is obviously yellow, and R red.
Rev counter spring looks like a tangled piece of spaghetti so will have to replace spring and for some reason speedometer doesn`t work either despite new cable but speedo has never worked since we`ve owned the car so sorting that out too.
Right about the colors, tan was prob pink 50yrs ago.
About the rev counter spring, a jeweler might be able to do something with it....and about the speedo, about 40 yrs ago I fixed mine, which was not working, while in college. It's very simple inside once removed from the cluster, iirc. In my case, the ribbon which was made from a plastic material, was stuck to the drums also made from plastic, prob made soft due to heat right under the top of the dash. So I made a new ribbon from drafting school velum, sprayed flat black and day-glo orange. I also remember using watchband spring loaded pins as axles for the drums. Its worked perfectly since then, i.e. 1976 or 77. Also remember positioning the ribbon over so that it reads 10mph at stand still to compensate for the overly optimistic readings at speed. 70 mph is 70 now.
Attached Images

George
64 TI (the violin), 87 911 Carrera coupe, 89 Peugeot 505 Turbo Wagon sleeper

Last edited by ganunez; 01-19-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:04 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Tom Sahines here in Calif is good with gauges, but that's a long way from NZ or Australia.
Andrew
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:23 AM

Garage
Just a tip, if you have to remove the 3 rocker switch assembly for any reason do it while the instrument cluster is out, while it looks like they would slide out from the bottom after the 2 screws are removed, they don't. The cluster has to be out and the switch assembly has to come out the top thru the cluster opening.

George
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Ian, I know you have a Ti just like mine -graphite grey (interior upholstery different colour though) as my son and joint owner has come in and seen you on one of his business trips to the UK to view the car.
It would be hugely appreciated to get photos of the rear of your instrument cluster.
Todd your car is a later model with different dash, mine is the strip speedometer with the silly little rev counter tagged on the end. Thank you though.
JCDK that instrument cluster looks good - what are the gauges from as I don`t recognise them. Tempting though it is however as I don`t really like the dash appearance I try to stick to originality and will keep my dash panel and elaborate steering wheel.
Does anyone know if the earth return path is simply though the clamps holding the instrument cluster to the dash panel?
Richard, Sorry I did try & take some photos of the back of the cluster with my phone, but the results weren't very good - there's so little room & other cables etc in the way! I'll try & make a note of what colour cables go where.... Actually my car was originally moss green with the tan interior, but I always liked the graphite grey so had it painted that colour. I now also have a 1966 LHD 1300 Ti which is also graphite but that has the dark red interior....(and has now been slightly hot-rodded! ) I'll see if that has the same coloured wires.

Ian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Andrew, we have an excellent long established instrument repair business here in Christchurch and a lot gets sent from overseas to them. We also have one of the foremost restoration companies in the world here- winner of multiple Concours trophies at Pebble Beach, Lake Como etc -Auto Restorations. They have their own engineering machine shop and do anything including instruments.

George, the old stuck ribbon to drum problem may be my issue re speedo as the car has sat in high temps outside for a couple of years before we acquired it - the sun ruined a brand new set of 155x15 Michelins which I had to throw away (around NZ$250 ea).

Jim, thank you for your kind offer but was lucky enough to be given by Alfa a copy of the owners manual with, as they did then, a wiring diagram within. -They also sent me a workshop manual (copy) gratis, plus stuff for our other cars. Most generous.

Ian, might see you in a few months time as my son (joint owner) is setting up an office in Kent and I am hoping to get over for a UK visit. I`d like to see your car. Graphite grey or versions similar must have been very popular in Europe during this period as our `63 Fiat 500D was originally this colour, as was our Lancia Flavia Coupe, and our `65 Lancia Fulvia 2C Berlina. We hardly saw any cars that colour in NZ nor do I recall any US cars of that era in that colour.
We love it but only the Ti and 2C Lancia remain in the original colour unfortunately.

Richard J
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 11:12 PM

Well Alfisti are always welcome Richard! If it's any consolation both my speedos go up to about 40 (mph on the RHD and kph on the LHD) and stay there (not sure plod would accept that as a speeding excuse!) so maybe mine have suffered the same affliction (though I doubt it's the sun here in Blighty that's caused it!). The fuel gauge on the RHD one doesn't work either despite trying all the usual tricks.... Early instrument clusters aren't exactly plentiful around here...

Ian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Bugger Ian. I thought I could come over and buy up at large all those cheap (to us) specific early Giulia Ti 1600 parts. I suspect there were very few Giulias sold in UK at the time they were new. Alfa UK would have imported and sold the easier to sell and more profitable coupes I suspect.

Richard J
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Bugger Ian. I thought I could come over and buy up at large all those cheap (to us) specific early Giulia Ti 1600 parts.

I think there are less than 6 known early Ti Giulias in the UK....

Ian

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 03:07 AM

Garage
According to "How Many Left ?" there are 6 1300 Ti's registered in the UK,
Tried to find out about 1600's, (as mine was originally a 1963 1600Ti,), but it doesn't have figures for those.
Maybe even less.

Steve

GTA R
1963 Giulia Ti Super Rep
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 08:36 AM

Garage
Here is another tip, after an hour on my back replacing the cluster, put 3w bulbs for ilumination, the 2 on the grey leads. Much better than was there before, what ever they were. Also the 4 down the left side as well. I really hate taking that thing out.
Attached Images

George
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

That looks a lot brighter George. I`ll do the same. I looked at the owners handbook for the bulb spec and originals are supposed to be 2.5w. As I said above Alfa were amazingly generous and provided among other things for my other cars a copy of the english version owner`s handbook .
As was typical for the time though it is also a mini workshop manual and is an incredibly useful resource for not only the operation of the car and what does what. A complete contrast to new car handbooks.

Richard J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode