1967 Giulia Super: Best Options for Wheels/Tires Approximating Original Tire Size? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berardo View Post
With regard to the earlier mentioned Turbinas, is there a preferred offset or do they all fit?
Well, I hate to pose as an expert but my understanding is that the Turbina wheel came out on the Alfa Montreal first and that those wheels are a different size and much rarer than the Turbinas that came on later GTVs and Spiders. Those are the ones you'll find regularly and it is my understanding that they are all 14" by 5-1/2" rims with a 38mm offset. I think the first ones were made by Campognolo and are lightest of the bunch with a higher magnesium content. I think Cromodora made them for Alfa as well. Magnesium content has its good and bad qualities; lightness vs. degradation over time.
I welcome anyone's corrections to the above.

Jonathan-
'73 GT Junior1600-gone now.
'69 Giulia 1300ti 2 liter-the honeymoon is ON.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 12:45 PM

Red face These...

These are now on my '68 Super. 14x5 1/2 made by cromodora. Great look and they are factory option wheels from 1968, 10548 part numbers cast into the back.
Attached Images

Fiorentino likes this.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #33 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 12:49 PM

The tires are Yokohama S Drives 185/55/14 , the off set of the rim pushes it right to the limit, as you can see in the picture, I had to roll the inside of the fender well, and compensate the springs to make them fit, all worth it!
Attached Images

Anfanuts and deepblue like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:47 PM

I have GTA repros that are 15x7 with 185x65x15 Sumitomo tires. It's a tight squeeze and I had to raise the rear end by replacing the Alfaholics suspension with something closer to stock.
I will need tires soon, and would like to change the wheels before then. While my first choice was to go stock 15" steel, I'm considering all options.
post #35 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
I warned the PO that the 7" wheels would not work especially with the lowered package. Ironically it was delivered to him with Turbinas and 185's. But some noobs always think "more is better". Guys here are even having trouble rubbing on 185's with the narrower AH GTA-R wheels due to the offset. The spider and GT wheel arches are very generous, not so on the rear of a Giulia sedan. On a sedan, offset is everything. I have some lovely Campy Americas but I'd have to shave the hub and wheel 5 mm each or go with 165's (maybe 175's).

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -
post #36 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:19 PM

I wish he left the Turbinas in the trunk.
Anfanuts likes this.
post #37 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:23 PM

I love the America's! Thats what I wanted on my Super, I'd go with 175's, I couldn't find the rims at the time, are they4x108 bolt pattern though? I've seen 4x98 too....
post #38 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

The alloy TZ or Ti Super wheels look period. Period!

JCDK likes this.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #39 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaEvan View Post
I love the America's! Thats what I wanted on my Super, I'd go with 175's, I couldn't find the rims at the time, are they4x108 bolt pattern though? I've seen 4x98 too....
Yes, earlier they were made as a factory alternative in 4x108. Later they put them on Alfettas but in 4x98. I already have early 12# CD-35's on my 69 Spider and nice Heinbrand TZ-R wheels on my 72 Super. I need a GT now for those wheels. Insane eh? B

PS: those Ronals's you show above are very similar to the Campy America. A friend put them on a Giulia and had to shave the hubs and wheels 5 mm each to accommodate 185's, a trackday car so he wanted wider tires.
Attached Images

Last edited by Anfanuts; 04-02-2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add ps
post #40 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
The alloy TZ or Ti Super wheels look period. Period!
Indeed. And they have a generous offset, HB at 38mm. Jim now regrets the AH GTA-R wheels as they rub, even the thinner owes with 185's.
Attached Images

Last edited by Anfanuts; 04-02-2018 at 04:56 PM.
post #41 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
Indeed. And they have a generous offset, HB at 38mm. Jim now regrets the AH GTA-R wheels as they rub, even the thinner owes with 185's.

Actually, mine are the 6x15x28.5mm GTA style wheels w/ 185x65x15 tires supplied by Classic Alfa. They fit just fine when my Super had it's "granny" overload spring, but rub the rear fender lip with stock springs and stock ride height. The problem "may" be caused by worn rear-axle bushings, although everything feels tight back there. I am, of course, thinking of machining the rear hub, rolling the fender lip, or, perhaps even better, simply fitting 175x70x15 tires. Supers are finicky about whee/tire combinations.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #42 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 05:56 AM

there is very little lip, in fact, the sheet metal just flares out over the wheel with a very short return. pretty flat under there, not much to fold really.
as mentioned, the rear wheel arches are N-A-R-R-O-W!!! the fact that the limit strap mount is in there too makes a bad situation worse. much worse. overall width is a concern but offset may be more of one.
my car is lowered w a ward and dean street spring package. for general street use, running stock rims on mine w 165, tall (can't remember the sidewall height number). they clear everything by a mile, give a surprising amount of grip, a lower final drive for easier cruising and raises the car up off the ground to alleviate road clearance issues. for fun stuff, have 15x7 wheels w 205/50/15 tires. its been so long that i can;t remember exactly but think the wheels have about a 27-28mm offset. tires clear (just) except under very hard cornering when the inner side of wheel itself rubs on limit strap mounts.. there is no room to finagle offset etc to get a little more clearance, so am taking those mounts off.
post #43 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:01 AM

Garage
Here's the pic from inside of rear wheel well. Area where tire usually touch inner fender is marked with red, I hope this helps to understand what there is inside and why rolling the fender lip doesn't actually help much.
Attached Images

Giulia Super "Biscione" 28th February 1969
post #44 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 AM

Gasolina, yep, you're spot on, its not the fender but the inner liner, I rolled the inner liner back which helped a lot, I also notice... that there is about a 1/2 inch difference on the inner rear on the left and right side of the car... so Alfa wasn't very exact when building these things, you wouldn't notice it if you stuck to the original rim and tire size's, I asked others and they noticed the same too.
Gasolina likes this.
post #45 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaEvan View Post
that there is about a 1/2 inch difference on the inner rear on the left and right side of the car... so Alfa wasn't very exact when building these things, you wouldn't notice it if you stuck to the original rim and tire size's, I asked others and they noticed the same too.
That's why it's important to use the factory shims to locate the T bar, and thus the axle in the correct position.

JC de Koeijer

Giulia street rod, 1974 Spider Veloce, 2019 Giulia Super.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode