Thanks, things are starting to happen. Turns out the seller has had a few Alfas, an Alfetta, and a couple of others. The guy he bought it from was also an Alfa guy and had it listed on CL along with a couple of engines and lots of spares. He started a family in 84 and parked it (running) where it sat. He kept a detailed service history and took care of the car. Can't ask for much more than that! The jackpoints are good, holes in the footwells though and some rust on the inner sills, the outers were replaced so we'll see. Shipping has gone up since my last one, 900 from Ohio to East Texas. Plan is to get it running then swap my spare 2L and trans, drivetrain, maybe the 410 rear end I rebuilt so I'll have an Alfa to drive when the GTV goes in for headliner and new windshield. I've been putting it off because it's running so well and I didn't have an Alda to drive because I sold my Spider awhile back.
The interior looked like they had hauled cement in it at one point. There was some kind of gunk on much of the surfaces. It took quite a bit of scrubbing to remove whatever it was. We removed the dash and completely restored it.
The dash pad was of course cracked and beyond repair. We handed that to the local upholstery shop and they recovered it easily. The binnacle was painted with a Rustoleum texture paint that I am really impressed with. The vinyl pieces (other than the dash pad) were painted with SEM vinyl paint – again an excellent product made them look new. The wood was removed (including the center console), stripped, stained and clear coated. It is probably too shiny but it I like that it is UV stable and won’t yellow over time. The PO had applied some silly stick on chrome trim to much of the exterior and interior and that was dispatched with “extreme prejudice”. The chrome trim was polished and although pitted looks quite presentable.
None of the gauges worked. We disassembled the tach, speedo and clock, cleaned and lubricated everything, polished the stainless and replaced the bulbs with LEDs. The result: The tach and speedo work; the clock and fuel gauge are DOA. I modified a badge and replaced the guts of the clock with it. I know it’s not kosher but I can’t stand staring at a clock that doesn’t work and I’m not spending $300 for the privilege of seeing it work. Not sure what to do with the fuel gauge. It is integral to the speedometer so it’s not a simple replacement. I suppose it could be the sending unit…
I'll pick up the clock for my Super on Friday for a hundred dollar bill. Oliver, the Swiss watch guy in White Rock, B.C. cleaned it up.
Yikes, 3 years goes by fast! My poor little Super drew the short straw when I needed a 1750 motor for another project. So for most of the past 3 years it has sat quietly in the back of the shop under a tarp.
Finally this year I decided it was ridiculous to treat the her this way. My plan was to restore the car, build up a Twinspark and really have some fun. But it occured to me that driving it now might be more fun than dreaming about hot rodding it later. With that revelation and a former racing 2L (Jamisen prepped head and cams, HiComp pistons, lightened flywheel, 123 Ignition and DCOE 45s) that came my way recently I decided to take the intermediate step.
What's nice about a 1970 is that it was born with a hydraulic clutch so there was no horsing around with adapters and such. The re-engining was simple and since I had replaced the original 1600 diff with an LSD several years ago the car could easily handle the extra power.
At first though, it was a nightmare getting the motor to cooperate. It would foul the plugs almost immediately regardless of how much I leaned out the carbs with jets and mix screws, etc. It also developed a nasty miss at low RPM. I handed it off to @KPC655 and he helped clean up a number of issues. But after much gnashing of teeth I realized that although the carb tops indicated that they were a matching set, in reality the bodies were way different - one was the original early Italian made and the other was a later emissions style! I can't believe I never noticed it before.
Anyway, those came off pronto and while I didn't have another set of 45s I did have a decent set of 40s that I was able to rebuild and luckily had a set of carb mounts to go with it. I was pretty pleased with the one day turn around to get the carbs replaced but initially there was little difference in operation.
But this time as I rejetted, adjusted the mix screws and replaced the spark plugs the motor started to come alive. The final issue was the miss. As @genericwood and I commiserated, 80% of carb problems are ignition and so it was with this guy. I replaced the 123 dizzy cap and rotor (my one complain with the 123 is the poor fit of the cap - too easy to knock off) and that eliminated the miss.
Replaced the steelies with Daytonas and removed the bumpers. Still need to play with the ride height a bit but I think if I stick with 195s I should be able to lower it a bit more.
The bottomline is that it goes like stink now! So much so that I am going to replace the smaller 1600 ATE front calipers with the larger calipers from the 2000 era. Of course that means replacing the spindles too but that will give me a chance to freshen up the suspension.
It is far from a pretty face but I think the Super is worth the effort so come this winter, we'll do a proper restoration. But until then I intend on having fun...