1967 Super followed me home: should I keep it? - Page 19 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 316 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

inner lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocess View Post
So can you now turn on your fog lamps with the toggle switch alone? and are those actual fog lamps you have installed?
I'm not sure if they are fog lights or driving. When I get it out in the dark I will see what the pattern is like.

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Engine Compartment: vacuum line question

I have a question about what appears to be a vacuum line for my air intake plenum. See the red circle in the picture below. I'm pretty certain it hooks up to the vacuum nipple on the intake manifold above the distributor but what does it do?

Thanks,
Attached Images

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
post #273 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Garage
It makes vacuum for breather hose at idle when butterflies are closed.

Giulia Super "Biscione" 28th February 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Platinum Subscriber

If you have the Carello "nipple" lights, they're fog lights. I can barely tell when mine are on, yellow bulbs and all. But they sure look cool.
Andrew
post #275 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Andrew, I have Hellas and even with just the 55w bulbs they are very bright now that all the wiring is sorted. When I put relays in I will up it to 100w. I have those crappy yellow bulbs in my GTV and they are worthless.
post #276 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Wow, good lights on an early 105. Mine are pretty weak all around. Relays etc would be a good upgrade.
My Fiat 128 had Hella H4 7" lights and some kind of Super Oscar driving lights on the bumper, all with relays. The car was not fast enough to overdrive that much light; incredible.
Andrew
post #277 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 07:08 PM

Garage
I removed the ancient fuse box from the car, and used a small Dremel too clean the green corrosion off the fuse holders and the spade connectors. The dash lights are a lot brighter and the headlights ate white not yellow.

George
64 TI (the violin), 87 911 Carrera coupe, 89 Peugeot 505 Turbo Wagon sleeper
post #278 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 09:07 PM

Todd, can you show us a picture of the headliner? I have a Berlina with a sagging headliner and am curious to see how yours turned out and how long it took to intall. Did you get yours from Mr. Fiat?
post #279 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaonly View Post
Todd, can you show us a picture of the headliner? I have a Berlina with a sagging headliner and am curious to see how yours turned out and how long it took to intall. Did you get yours from Mr. Fiat?

I got my headliner from Classic Alfa and I am always amazed how fast their shipments show up on my door step.

The job was not easy and took a significant amount of patience. That being said, if you want a show winning car, don't do it yourself. If you want it to look nice and to save a $1000 then by all means, take it on. The headliner was one of the biggest steps in getting rid of the old nasty smell in the car. By now it has that "new car smell"!

Below are some pictures of a few of the wrinkles I couldn't get out. One of the trickiest parts is that the headliner has "sleeves" where you insert the bows. These are wider (extend further out to the edges) than the original and you have to make a decision on how far back to trim them. This is hard to explain unless you see it. I just trimmed a little at a time until I got the idea. I can walk you through the entire process if you want.

Photos:

1. Old Headliner
2. New with bows in place. Notice how the bows don't extend out past the sleeves.
3. Using Zip ties to pull the skinnier bows onto the hooks
4. Finished: not perfect but it sure smells a lot better
5. Don't forget to take tons of pictures of how all the corners fit together and where the holes are to attach grab handles and mirror and visors, etc. Still, will have a hard time finding these holes once they are covered up even with pictures so use a small pin to poke around until you find them.
Attached Images

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
post #280 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the pictures Todd! I tried to do a headliner on a '66 Beetle I owned years ago and gave up so I admire your perseverance.
post #281 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

First Drive for Giulia in at least 10 years

There is a weird rubbing noise at 2:30 that had me very concerned. Any ideas? Everything is new in the front suspension. The BWA Sportstars should be the right size and the tires are only 185's.

I can't emphasize enough how excited I am that the shifting is smooth as butter. The transmission was a huge unknown for me.

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
post #282 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 10:44 AM

Garage
Congratulations, very Beautiful car and what a Sound Rubbing noise; sounds like it's coming rear end of the car, there should be visible mark inside fender if it's tire rubbing.

Giulia Super "Biscione" 28th February 1969
post #283 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:19 PM

Definitely sounds like tire noise, Todd. Since it's happening under load when you turn my guess is that the rear end is moving laterally causing tire to body contact---somewhere. The real question is why you're getting noise since that shouldn't happen with 185 185 cross section tires? On my car w/ 29.5mm offset x 6in wheels I have about the width of my finger between the outside of the tire and the inner edge of the fender lip and no rubbing, even under load. If you haven't done so, your first step is to get the car up in the air so you can look for points of tire/bodywork contact. That noise is loud enough that there's bound to be some telltale marks. What is the offset of your BWA's? Keep us posted.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #284 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:34 PM

A tip for driving an Alfa ... fake into 2nd gear and THEN select 1st.

Cheers

'67 Giulia Super
'08 Ducati 1098S
post #285 of 316 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Congrats! I agree with Gasolina, it looks and SOUNDS amazing. I forget, is that just the stock exhaust on it?

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 164LS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode