Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Super Seat Replacement between Early and Late Models

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  italiansedanman 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy some seats in great condition that I would like to replace my tatty ones with.
The problem I see is that I have a 1966 Super which has a single common seat rail in the middle of the front seats. The front seats from the later Supers e.g.1969/70 do not share this common rail.
Is this possible for me to change the rail fixing in my car to the later type with a minimum of fuss? Has anyone done or seen this done before?

Thanks in advance for anyone who has any ideas.

#4 ·
Early cars are unusual in how their seats attach (through 1970ish?). Probably because the first TIs had bench front seats and no need for inner/center tracks. They have one track on the floor and the other center shared track on top of the tunnel. So the seat tracks are at about a 6" difference in height.

Once Alfa admitted the Giulia was not a six-seater (look at original TI marketing materials) and moved the handbrake to the tunnel, the seat tracks were then both on the floor in the conventional way. Maybe a rationalization, since Berlinas were like that from the start?

Andrew

#5 ·
Thanks guys,
It probably shouldnt be too much hassle I hope, I just want to be sure that the fixing points I drill in the floor are strong enough. Interesting that the single central rail is a hang over from the benchseat of the Ti.
Ben, I'm pretty sure the guy selling the seats in a nice guy, you know him better, what do you think?;)

#6 ·
That's just my guess on the central rail; I don't think the bench seat used a central rail at all, but rather just crossed over the tunnel.

Another point is that it's a relatively narrow car, and using the central rail allows the seats to be a bit wider. If the inner track is down on the floor, you lose a couple inches of width, which must be true of the floor-handbrake cars, though I haven't measured one.

Andrew

#7 ·
Like most Giulia Superisms, there are many inconsistansies. Both the Giulia Supers that I have owned have had the narrow seats, but both had umbrella handbrakes at the same time... The wide seats, in my opinion, dont really embrace the sporting nature of the Giulia, and neither does the bench seat in the early ti's. I guess though, you've got to imagine the car as it was regarded at launch, as a sedan for families - even if it was a hot-rod under the skin!

Derek, trust me - he's a nice guy. Just waaaay to crazy about Alfas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.