Super Seat Replacement between Early and Late Models - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Super Seat Replacement between Early and Late Models

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy some seats in great condition that I would like to replace my tatty ones with.
The problem I see is that I have a 1966 Super which has a single common seat rail in the middle of the front seats. The front seats from the later Supers e.g.1969/70 do not share this common rail.
Is this possible for me to change the rail fixing in my car to the later type with a minimum of fuss? Has anyone done or seen this done before?

Thanks in advance for anyone who has any ideas.

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:55 PM

The floors on the early vs. late models are different. If you are willing to drill holes and use some spacers it should be no problem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:40 AM

Wink

I think as long as the person selling the seats is a nice guy, it should work...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Early cars are unusual in how their seats attach (through 1970ish?). Probably because the first TIs had bench front seats and no need for inner/center tracks. They have one track on the floor and the other center shared track on top of the tunnel. So the seat tracks are at about a 6" difference in height.

Once Alfa admitted the Giulia was not a six-seater (look at original TI marketing materials) and moved the handbrake to the tunnel, the seat tracks were then both on the floor in the conventional way. Maybe a rationalization, since Berlinas were like that from the start?

Andrew
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
It probably shouldnt be too much hassle I hope, I just want to be sure that the fixing points I drill in the floor are strong enough. Interesting that the single central rail is a hang over from the benchseat of the Ti.
Ben, I'm pretty sure the guy selling the seats in a nice guy, you know him better, what do you think?

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Platinum Subscriber

That's just my guess on the central rail; I don't think the bench seat used a central rail at all, but rather just crossed over the tunnel.

Another point is that it's a relatively narrow car, and using the central rail allows the seats to be a bit wider. If the inner track is down on the floor, you lose a couple inches of width, which must be true of the floor-handbrake cars, though I haven't measured one.

Andrew
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 01:08 AM

Like most Giulia Superisms, there are many inconsistansies. Both the Giulia Supers that I have owned have had the narrow seats, but both had umbrella handbrakes at the same time... The wide seats, in my opinion, dont really embrace the sporting nature of the Giulia, and neither does the bench seat in the early ti's. I guess though, you've got to imagine the car as it was regarded at launch, as a sedan for families - even if it was a hot-rod under the skin!

Derek, trust me - he's a nice guy. Just waaaay to crazy about Alfas!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode