Headlight switch: is it repairable? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Headlight switch: is it repairable?

1967 Giulia Super:

I have power going into my headlight switch and none coming out for either the regular or highbeams. The dash lights work though.

Does it come apart so that I can clean the contacts or do I just need to buy a new one?

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:07 PM

People have taken these apart and cleaned the contacts and connections.
The parts are held together by long brass rivets.
New ones are available, but the price is high and the quality is not as good as the originals.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Headlight Switch

So I would have to drill out the rivets and find something to replace them with.

Maybe I can just use a small nut and bolt to replace the rivets?

Has anybody done this?

I am not too excited about the high cost of a new switch that may not be great quality.

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM

If you have a good hardware store nearby, they may have long alum. or brass rivets.
I know my local ACE store has quite a selection !

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddfiebig View Post
Maybe I can just use a small nut and bolt to replace the rivets? Has anybody done this?
Yes. Use small screws (#6 or #8, I forget which) to replace the small rivets, and nothing to replace the large. The two screws that attach the switch to the steering column go through the large rivets, so if they are drilled out and not replaced, those screws will serve to clamp the switch halves together.

Incidently, there are many threads on the BB about repairing these switches.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 04-05-2013 at 08:20 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Platinum Subscriber

If it is the same switch that was used in S2 Spiders then you can clean up the contacts without removing the switch. Find a thread that has pictures showing the three locations where you can get at the contacts.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 PM

Todd - I think I have a decent used switch. There are (at least) two different types, but you and I have the same year Super. PM me if you are interested.

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 GTV 1750 S2
1967 Giulia Super

Last edited by fangio8c; 04-05-2013 at 08:19 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
This is all well documented on the BB. Have you done a search, yet?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:39 PM

I'm searching all over the place. Can you point me to where it is? I know I saw an exploded view or disassembly instructions somewhere but now I can't find it.

any help would be appreciated.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:19 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunger View Post
I'm searching all over the place. Can you point me to where it is? I know I saw an exploded view or disassembly instructions somewhere but now I can't find it.

any help would be appreciated.
What have you done to test the switch?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:31 PM

it won't turn off. this has happened to me before. the contacts are carbonized. last time I found disassembly instructions, took it apart and cleaned it. this time I can't find the instructions.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:33 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
You will need to remove the steering wheel and the two part plastic cowling to access the headlamp switch. Once you remove the switch, you will be able to see the contacts. The picture below shows two of them. The other is on the other side. Open the contacts and insert a piece of emery cloth. Close the contacts and pull the emery cloth out. Repeat as necessary to clean the contacts.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode