Super getting some localized bodywork - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Jeez time flies.

Figured out the transfer of rpm-related vibration to the rear axle was through poor exhaust alignment. The pop-up over the axle was hitting the trunnion nut all the time. Pounded it out of the way and all better.

Every 20 years I make it a point to look at my carbs. Car came to me in 1997 with a non-orig 1600 with rod knock, apparently original 40 DCOE 24 carbs and manifold. I installed an APE 1750 about a year later, rejetted the carbs to 1750 specs, all good. Over the past month it's been a bit stumbly, so I did the recommended thing, checked all the ignition first. Changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc, no better. At big throttle openings is OK, stumbles just off idle.

The plugs for 3 and 4 were just utterly black. 2 was pretty dark, only 1 was OK. Poked around, pulled the tops off the carbs and three of the four starter circuit c-clips were broken and the little "volcano" caps were wearing into the carb tops. Hmm. So pulled the carbs off today. Three of the four starter plungers were stuck up, only one was seating in the bore. So those three were allowing extra gas to get drawn in all the time I think. I have some extra 40 DCOE 28 Jr carbs, same pieces, so will cannibalize to make these right. I've seen the broken c-clips before, but only on a shelf carb, not on a running one. Must make it a point to check the carbs each decade.

Also note the cool green Cavis plug wires. While I was at it, checked a few valve clearances and timing, haven't done so in maybe 6-7 years. All good. What great engines.

Andrew
Andrew
Attached Images

PSk and horsewidower like this.

Last edited by Andrew; 08-07-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Sorry for the focus.
Andrew
post #123 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:15 AM

Garage
And people that don't know about Webers say they go out of tune regularly................
Next time I hear that Andrew, I'll show them your post !

Steve

GTA R
1963 Giulia Ti Super Rep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Yes. Roughly 50K miles without touching them. I'm not crowing about my own attentiveness here, believe me. But Spica and Webers, set, drive, ignore.
Andrew
post #125 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:59 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA R View Post
And people that don't know about Webers say they go out of tune regularly................
Next time I hear that Andrew, I'll show them your post !

Steve
The problem with Webers is they have adjustment screws. This means idiots can play with them.

My family used to live next to a lovely man with a Triumph 2500S saloon. Occasionally he would come over and admit he has screwed up the Solex/SU carb settings. My dad would go over and reset them and tell him off for playing. My families car repair garage used to service this car ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #126 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Cleaned the carbs up, got all the cold start plungers out, cleaned the bores with a little rifle brush, polished the plungers, oiled everything, eventually they worked nicely. On one of the cold start actuators, both tangs were broken off the geared levers, so I stole one from the Jr carb. Also stole one of the volcanoes and two of the brass c clips. All back together with new gaskets, checked all passages, everything seems clear. I'm leaving the choke cable disconnected. I suspect when I loaned this car out recently someone used the choke, first time in 20 years, and the plungers stuck and tabs broke.

Andrew
Attached Images

Blu Hollandese and jthames like this.
post #127 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Carbs back on, shimmed up the throttle bellcrank a bit. Fiddled the carb balance and idle circuits and it's running well. Drove it around some, was still a tiny bit stumbly and "rushed"; I can't think of a better word. Well, check the timing! At idle it was almost at the M mark. Retarded, now all good.

While I was fiddling the idle circuits it sneezed and I could see the chuff came through the cold start circuit; a gassy mist blasted out. So clearly the plungers get some exercise even when you don't use them.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #128 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

After some driving, these carbs are the best they've been in the 21 years I've owned this car. I'm better at this now than I was in my "youth," though most of it come down to a more patient, thoughtful mental approach, which I think just comes with age.

This suitor came a' calling today; friend Scott's 1900 T4 for some light repair. I worked on this sucker for almost six months getting it running, brakes, clutch, wiring, switches, taillights, battery box, all kinds of stuff. We did some minor adjustments and tooled around the block. Such a great car. His wife's dad bought it new. Can't beat a story like that.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #129 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
While I was fiddling the idle circuits it sneezed and I could see the chuff came through the cold start circuit; a gassy mist blasted out...
Interesting you mention this. I was doing my own fiddling today (trying to eliminate the carb sneezing). It sneezed, the starter circuit bellcrank shot back - never noticed it before. (I don't have the choke cables installed.) Wondering if that's momentarily enriching the AFR. I don't see it with my O2 sensor but it might be too brief...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #130 of 218 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Various updates.

I bought another Super, which has a carbed 2000 but seemed poky. I stole my 10548 intake cam from this Super, installed in that Super. Along with main jet increase and advanced timing, much stronger.

That allowed me to put my other Alquati A32 intake cam in this Super. Wow, responded just like it did in my GTV. Torquier and revier.

Then, what the heck, caught up on some long delayed projects. It has stock springs, has always sat roughly 1.5 inches high in the back compared to the front. I took the expedient route and cut the stock springs that much. Car is still in the air, haven't seen it on the ground yet but I'm hopeful it'll sit flat.

Further, when I put in a 4.10 LS diff from APE two years ago, my driveshaft has sloppy u-joints, although smooth. Took it to the driveshaft shop, which balanced etc but it was never as smooth as it should have been. So while the car is up now, took it back. They found the center sliding spline was too worn. I took four others in, they couldn't make a good combo of any of them. So they searched their catalog, came up with a suitable Spicer u-joint and spline section and spliced them in. He said the balance was much better. Here it is, compared to the old ready. Ready to go in in the next day or two.

Finally, the other Super came with seven real TI Super wheels, part of the reason I bought it. I'm putting them on my car. Have cheap 165-15 tires, but they drive fine and for now that's what I'll use. Each wheel/tire combo is 8 pounds lighter than a steel wheel with 185-14. Hope to have it all operable this weekend.

Andrew
Attached Images

PSk, Blu Hollandese and JCDK like this.
post #131 of 218 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:11 PM

You are a magnet for Alfas.
They somehow seem to gravitate to Berkeley.
post #132 of 218 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Super works well. Freeway was an effing mess, but got it up to 70 and it seemed smooth. Sits maybe 1/4" high in back, so that's fine. Noticeable rake is gone. New wheels are nice, tires are not as good as the Vreds I had on the other wheels. May have to go for new tires.
With the new intake cam and 4.10 axle, I am always going too fast. I don't normally drive crazy, but the combo makes it hard to go slow.
Andrew
post #133 of 218 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Here it is, springs cut and new wheels/tires. Kinda hard to see the rebuilt driveshaft. It could be a tad lower, but it's fine. I'll throw more tools in the trunk to set the ride height.

Andrew
Attached Images

braino and JCDK like this.
post #134 of 218 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Friends don't let friends drive anything but Giulia Supers.

Bit of a gathering at my house. The green car is my longtime standby Super. The brownish grey one is a car I got talked into buying recently to help clear a house after the owner died. Haven't talked about it much, I worked through it, it's running fine, and am talking to a prospective buyer. The gunmetal car is a friend's, I'm helping do an engine rebuild so it's here to get the engine out. All are 1967, mine is early, the other two are 859xxx series, so late in the year.

Plus a comparo of couple Italian design icons. The gunmetal Super plus this Cagiva Gran Canyon I've been enjoying, a Ducati 900SS engine/trans on an adventure bike frame; has an MV Agusta-ish paint scheme. Torque like you cannot imagine.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #135 of 218 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 07:56 PM

I saw you guys when i was on my way home from BART, that gray one is pretty.

Re tires, Try 195/65R-14 VREDESTEIN SPORTRAC 5 SL from tire rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Super works well. Freeway was an effing mess, but got it up to 70 and it seemed smooth. Sits maybe 1/4" high in back, so that's fine. Noticeable rake is gone. New wheels are nice, tires are not as good as the Vreds I had on the other wheels. May have to go for new tires.
With the new intake cam and 4.10 axle, I am always going too fast. I don't normally drive crazy, but the combo makes it hard to go slow.
Andrew

Jonathan
1974 GTV 2000 (ex-1992 Spider Veloce)

Last edited by jthames; 08-22-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode