Super getting some localized bodywork - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

My son lives in Seattle now so we'll be up that way more. No immediate plans, though my daughter is in Portland this weekend. Have her come by and give her opinion!
Larry Jr says once folks switch to 4.10 they never go back. It somewhat depends on your engine, type of driving, etc. A 1300 TI that you didn't take on the freeway much, 4.10 would not be a good idea. My car has a 1750 with Euro cams, so should be able to pull the axle without trouble.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:25 PM

Andrew,

I need to "do" everything on the rear of my 67 Super. I plan on replacing all the bushings (trailing arms and t-arm) while I clean and repaint so it will match my front suspension.

Do you have any tips for me on taking it apart? How do I keep the springs from going sproing when I take out the differential?

Is it hard to take out the t-arm once the diff is out?

Thanks,

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
post #93 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

For the front, you need the factory spring compressor or long threaded rods, stronger the better. Acme thread even better. Take out two diagonal spring pan bolts, replace with long rods, run the nuts all the way up to do the work of the missing bolts. Undo the other two bolts, then slowly let the spring pans down by unthreading the nuts on the long rods. Takes some time, be very careful. Stock front springs are under tension even at full droop. Very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. You cannot just put a floor jack under the pan and undo the bolts. SPROING, there goes your fender and your arm.

Rear, jack it up high, put jackstands under the rear jack points. Let axle hang on straps. Undo shocks at bottom. Undo rear trailing arm nuts, loosen front nuts. Put a floor jack under the rear bushing of each trailing arm, raise just enough (not even an inch) to relax pressure on bolt. Push bolt out, let trailing arm down til spring droops. That's it. Wholly different from the front. Axle will hang there on the trunnion and the straps. Be wary of the driveshaft angle, best to support the diff front.

If you want to take the axle out, now undo straps, parking brake, brake hose, driveshaft, trunnion cones. Support axle, maybe on short jackstands, slide right to clear trunnion.

With short aftermarket springs, both front and rear may be easier. Front springs can be 4-10 times higher rate than rear, so beware.

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew; 11-23-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 AM

Thanks Andrew,

That is what I was hoping to hear. I plan on taking mine completely out and making it all pretty.

What about the t-arm. Are there any tricks to getting that out or does it simply unbolt after the diff is out?

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
post #95 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Take it out last, once the springs are out and the diff removed. Undo three big bolts on each end, remove. The bushings at each end in the mounting blocks I have never removed, so I can't help you there. You can buy new plastic washer/spacers to go in the space between the bushing and the arm. I slit mine, curled them in place, seem fine. I made some nylon ones years ago, same insertion method, curled them in place, used a hose clamp to hold them in, worked fine.

Andrew
post #96 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:10 AM

Thanks, I better get to work. This should be the last big project on my car and I will document it over at my page showing everything else I have done.

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
post #97 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I've been stymied by rain, but also waiting on Larry Jr to get the 4.10 ready to go. Thanksgiving weekend, gosh, he had other things to do.
I changed my axles straps at the same time. Trailing arms and straps have never been out of this car, ever. I've been surprised in the past that the axle strap/bump stop screws (big 8 x 1.25 flatheads, either slot or Phillips), always came out OK, seeming they should be rusted in. Never had a problem til this car. One came out OK. The other three, had to grind/drill/cut them out. Two came out with vise grips once I cut the heads off, one broke off and I had to drill out, then retap hole. All good now, but a couple un-fun hours of work. Heat, penetrant, care, patience, proper tools in this area.

Andrew
post #98 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:25 AM

So far I have been luck that on my car not a single bolt has been rusted on.

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
post #99 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

This surprised me, definitely. This car has lived its whole life in the Bay Area, first bolts I've ever had to fight on it. I had a 56 Giulietta Berlina, decades sitting outside in OR and WA, these bolts came out without a fight; I couldn't believe it.
Andrew
post #100 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Some pics. The car on my "annex" parking, practicing its leap like Giulias did in 60s Italian gangster movies. Next, the formerly offending strap/bump stop screws, now all good. The design here is a built-in dirt/rust trap, and the nut plates are open at the top, so crud gets down into the threads. Visible rubbed off paint is from Randy Pobst's drifting. Finally, new stock bushings in the trailing arms. 1600s have small bushings in front, large in back.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #101 of 213 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Got the axle last week, installed over the weekend. Works fine, smooth at speed, it'll take a little getting used to the new speeds and shift points.
I have an rpm-related vibration around 2500 that didn't used to be there, that's a puzzle, will look into it. Doesn't seem like the axle could have done that. For now, will drive 10% faster everywhere than before since I didn't change the speedo gearing.

Andrew
Attached Images

JCDK likes this.
post #102 of 213 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 05:27 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
will drive 10% faster everywhere than before since I didn't change the speedo gearing.
When I did my 4.56 ---> 4.10 conversion, I also left the speedo drive gears alone. My speedometer had always read high (with the 4.56). According to my GPS, it now reads accurately with the 4.10. This is on a '66 Sprint, which may use a different type of speedometer than the Super.

Quote:
Larry Jr says once folks switch to 4.10 they never go back.
I agree with Larry, since most of my driving is at 60 - 80 mph. The 4.56 may have been OK for the Italian roads of the 1960's, but it isn't so well-suited to California freeways. And the Alfa gearbox has sufficiently wide ratios that you don't even feel that 10% lower ratio in the lower gears.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 12-13-2016 at 05:33 PM.
post #103 of 213 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

1st gear with a 4.56 is ridiculous; you have to shift before you get across the intersection.
Speedo is the same mechanically. The drive gears in the trans are the same on all of them, drive a cable. Change that gear for a different rear end. I guess you could pull the gear out of a Bosch Spider trans. I don't care.
I drive the freeway reading 70. On the 4.56, that was in reality about 65. Not it'll be about 71. I have a 1750 with carbs and Euro cams, pulls the longer rear end fine. I drove many miles in a 71 Euro Berlina with strong 2000 and stock 4.3 rear end. Great combo.
Andrew
post #104 of 213 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Zipped out to APE in Tracy yesterday, 70 miles each way at 75 mph. Very smooth and fast. Larry and I are putting our heads together on the 2300 rpm vibration, no definitive answer yet. For now, will drive and see how it goes. Probably will do u-joints, last done 50,000 miles ago and needing it now. Car is a fun rocket after a couple months driving the Berlina.

Andrew
post #105 of 213 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Went on a NY Day drive with Conrad and some other friends this morning, SF coast down 1, up to Sky Londa and Alices's Restaurant. 10-12 cars, about half Alfas, various other Melee type cars and a 1953 Bentley Continental, which keeps up surprisingly well for something that looks like a ship next to a Sprint Speciale or Alpine. Super ran like a champ, caravaned with Conrad's wagon from Berkeley, sort of cousins, if not twins.

Andrew
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode