Super getting some localized bodywork - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 07:35 AM

Wow, Andrew! What fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 08:06 AM

Thats' cool Andrew, looking forward to seeing the videos.
Randy always seemed like a down to earth dude.

73' Berlina, 72' TR6, 97' T100, 08' GTI
post #78 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I only knew Randy's name, didn't know he'd been doing this stuff with MT for some time. He was very professional, very fast, very easy and nice to work with. The career trajectory of an older race driver is not always an easy thing, but he still does real racing, vintage racing, stuff like this. The fire burns in his belly, no question. I have a lot of track time, but not with a pro driver in the left seat. It is magnitudes more violent that what I've ever done in a LeMons car or my vintage Super.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 08:25 AM

Did you do some laps with Randy in the passenger seat? just showing him the car before he drove it?

73' Berlina, 72' TR6, 97' T100, 08' GTI
post #80 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Yes. I drove my Super with Randy riding, just circulating, not hauling bootie. Later he drove it on the track by himself, got the tail out. And I rode in the new Giulia with him driving, OMG was he driving, helmets for that one.
Andrew
post #81 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:10 AM

Garage
Sounds like a blast, did you say a magazine article was the purpose of the event?
I can't wait for a white TI to show up a a dealer around here ......

George
64 TI (the violin), 87 911 Carrera coupe, 89 Peugeot 505 Turbo Wagon sleeper
post #82 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

It's for a Motor Trend video segment, on their Youtube channel or something, early next year. Probably on MotorTrend.com or whatever their site is too.
Andrew
post #83 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Gold Subscriber

Probably Motor Trend on demand. $5 a month streaming service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #84 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Coincidentally, I was just today reading the latest Hot Rod and David Freiburger mentions Motor Trend on Demand.
Andrew
horsewidower likes this.
post #85 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:09 PM
Platinum Subscriber

That's awesome! I will definitely look for that. I'm not a subscriber to Motor Trend On Demand, but they host the new Roadkill shows that Freiburger created. They're hilarious, and Randy has done some driving in a few episodes.
post #86 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I used to think of all the magazines as separate, but they're all related now.
Andrew
horsewidower likes this.
post #87 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

They are all owned by "The Enthusiast Network"

It's a huge waste of money to subscribe to a multitude of magazines, now. They all come out with the same test results for the same cars within 60 days of each other. There is some difference in the subjective narration of individual author.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #88 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I dropped everything except Cycle World, Classic Bike, and Hot Rod. Not crazy about all of Hot Rod's subjects, approaches, and opinions, but the tech info is very useful. Marlin Davis gives really good explanations of tech issues in HR, as does Kevin Cameron in CW.
Andrew
post #89 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

So embarked on a little mission creep yesterday. Have been meaning to do the trailing arm bushings for some months. I've done them on a couple other cars in the last year, and it makes a giant difference to smoothness, ride, and handling. I've had this car 20 years, I've never had them off, I'd guess they've never been done. Got them out in an hour yesterday. They're not the worst I've ever seen, but worth doing.

Was cleaning the rear axle (orig 4.56) and whatnot, and got to thinking and thinking. If I ever had a reason to change it, I'd go for a 4.10. I do more freeway driving than I used to. The more I considered, the more it seemed now was the time, even though this one is fine. I can do straps, center T arm bushings, the works at the same time, and won't have to do axle seals on the 4.56, which it needs. I have a credit with APE, so Larry Jr is happy to prep a Bosch axle for me to go in. So that's in progress, and this will sit now standing on its nose til the new axle arrives.

Also, it's hard to see, but the LR wheel, the center area around the lug nuts is all wonky and bent, and the lugnuts were all loose. I am sensitive to getting the rear wheels on right, not bending the center hole, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what happened here. Til I thought about what use I'd recently put the car to; Randy Pobst drifting it at Thunderhill. That's all I can figure. I have never seen the bolt circle bend on these wheels, ever, but Randy gave the car a harder workout than it's ever had in my driving. Right rear is fine, fronts are fine. So I think the cost of my Motor Trend day is one 1750 wheel. Fair enough.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #90 of 221 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 08:58 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Sounds like a great idea. I have been thinking a 4.10 axle would make the Berlina more enjoyable on the freeway as well.

When are you coming up to Portland again? I'd love to get your expert opinion on my Berlina.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode