Super getting some localized bodywork - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 213 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I wouldn't do wool, maybe a wool blend. The color was never right, but I knew that when I bought it. Alfa grey carpets of the period were a dirty grey, some were salt and peppery, but this was a very blue grey. The fit was 80% good, I did the work myself. I have installed only a few other carpet sets over the years, so I don't have that much to compare to as to fit.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

OK, took only 2.5 months, but I got the seats back yesterday, installed, all good. Took much longer than expected, who knows the reasons why, but what the heck. He gave me a couple hundred bucks off as a goodwill gesture. Seats are very good, material is closely to original door panels than last recover was. He painted the frames, redid the burlap, it all looks quite good. Put 100 miles on it today, very happy. I can stop driving all the interim cars (Fiat 128, VW Bug, VW Bus, Bosch Spider) and get back to enjoying this.

The woman guard at my dad's retirement place went absolutely nuts over the Super this morning. She couldn't believe the shape, the color, etc. Folks really respond to these cars.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #63 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:58 PM

Very nice job! Must feel great sitting on those. Hope to get mine done this year. Mine was up on a hoist at the local tyre place getting a wheel alignment this morning. It was fun watching people watch it.

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Keith Martin and Timothy Rogers wrote to remind me that their (Timothy used to own it, now Keith does) and my Supers, consecutive serial numbers/nose to tail on the assembly line, were built 49 years ago today. Both green/tan, both sold new in Calif, both had original black Calif plates til Timothy's car moved to Oregon.

Best Cars Ever

Andrew
post #65 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

Seats:

Nice colour, tone and fit.

+ + +

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #66 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Interior looks lovely. Are those Classic Alfa kits or custom made?

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Made the new covers off the old. It's how I've done it on all Alfa seats. Only Mustang and VW seats have I bought pre-mades.
Andrew
post #68 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 04:33 AM

Garage
Really good looking seats!

Giulia Super "Biscione" 28th February 1969
post #69 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Yes. Once I got over the delay frustration, very happy. Have managed to drive the car significant distances every day since I got the seats in, and so comfy. With renewed stuffing, better supported and just a tad closer to the wheel, which I like. With my years of track time, I learned to appreciate a forward seating position. And I'm not tall.

Andrew
Gasolina likes this.
post #70 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 07:44 AM

Garage
SUPER nice there Andrew, and they DO look comfy, same color as mine. The issue now is sliding around the seats if doing any spirited cornering as the TI seem to be flater.

George
64 TI (the violin), 87 911 Carrera coupe, 89 Peugeot 505 Turbo Wagon sleeper
post #71 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 03:39 PM

Love those seats Andrew. The carpets look like they are in great shape so no hurry there. I can't wait to get to drive mine.

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
post #72 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Carpets are worse than they look, they're moth-eaten, or something, down around the tracks and at the edges of the rear. I'm just not up for it right now. Many other things going on and I just wanted this back on the road. Another drive in it tomorrow up the Marin coast, that should be fun.

Andrew
post #73 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Putting on miles, I drive 80-mile round trips a couple times a week to my dad's retirement place up towards Sacramento. Just turned over 100,000, which probably is 200,000 who knows. When I bought the car it showed 45,000, so I've put 55,000 miles on it in 20 years. That's about right, I do 3000 miles a year, year in, year out. I have other cars, but this is my daily driver. I don't commute by car, so I don't rack up the miles.

I have noticed on the I-80 trips it's been a stumbly at mild throttle. Felt like carb adjustments needed or failed accel circuits. Heeding my own advice to do the ignition first, I looked at the plugs, which were NipponDenso and not bad, but old. Replaced those with new NGKs, slight improvement. Then looked at the dist, which is a Marelliplex. Cap and rotor's electrical contacts were almost entirely gone, just old and burned up, and the center graphite brush was worn away. I realize I may not have looked inside the dist in 5, perhaps 10 years. Rotor was also scraping inside the cap. Replaced them, check the timing, which was fine, and it runs like a different car. Carb adjustments magically no longer needed.

Gee, regular maintenance? Now it's back to the best car in the world.

Andrew
PhilBoncer likes this.
post #74 of 213 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Along with never looking at the distributor, I never look at the brakes. Fluid was down a bit in the reservoir, so looked at the pads. Fronts were maybe 20% left, so changed them, repacked wheel bearings at the same time. Car was up on a lift for a new exhaust last week, and I noted them the MC is weeping, so time to change it.

Went last night to the Italian Film Festival Showing of "Nio e la Giulia," an Italian comedy with a green 1300 TI as a central character. I took my Super and Conrad took both his Colli wagons, we got to park at the entrance to the theater at the Marin Civic Center. The movie was funny and the event was quite enjoyable, and sold out. Folks loved seeing the Giulias, a lot of the attendees are older Italian folks who came over from the old country, so they remember these in period. Everyone had a story. It motivated me to wash and vacuum my car, which doesn't happen that often!

Andrew
Attached Images

post #75 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Here's something from yesterday that was utterly unexpected, one of the best car days I've ever had.

I got invited by Motor Trend to participate in a shoot for a feature they’re doing on the new Giulia. They wanted a small spectrum of Alfa performance sedans, so mine, a Milano Verde, and two new Giulias. Spent the whole day at Thunderhill (west track) with the editorial and production teams, and Randy Pobst, who did the serious track driving. A few pics here, have a ton more I will sort today.

These Giulias are both Quads, 90* V6, based on a Ferrari engine. Roughly 500 HP. They go on sale next month, as I hear it. These were both US-legal cars. One had carbon brakes and carbon seats, otherwise the spec was the same. There will also be a TI version with four-cylinder engine. Also had the blue 2017 M3 Competition Package (“Compac”) with carbon brakes, seats, other goodies to compare on the track. It too is roughly 500 HP. It wasn’t planned thus, but I got to drive them all, and Randy did some laps in my Super, including getting it sideways for the camera. Easy with 500 HP, not easy with 100. Old tires help.

It was an honor and a treat. Long day doing photo setups and whatnot, but really, I was so lucky someone happened to mention me to the editor as a local Giulia nut. How could I say no? Did some full-on hot laps with Randy in the red Giulia, I could hardly keep my head up. It pulls about 1 g in cornering and 1.2 g in braking, they say. One editor got sick from the g forces. I was out for 5-6 laps, felt OK. I took my camera but it was not possible to use it while lapping. My drive in the M3 and Giulia, didn’t try to light up anything, just pootled around. Just figuring out the shifting, starting, parking brake, etc., when you’re used to a 50-year-old car is a tall order.

And as always, the Super just motored. 250 miles up and back, and maybe 25 track miles. I got a salad and a half tank of gas out of it!

Andrew
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode