Super getting some localized bodywork - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 12:08 PM

I know what you mean about "getting away with anything" in a Giulia sedan

Great fun. You should have had your wife drive them in the race car!

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
----------
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

No seats in back! They'd have to be pretty flexible to fit in around the Petty Enterprises roll cage and battery box. Sure would've been first in church though.
Andrew
Attached Images

post #48 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Couple unrelated items here. Took the Super on a drive from San Mateo to Pescadero yesterday, friend Nancy organizes drives on her two sides, Austin Healey and Alfa. Good time, got to drive a 260 Tiger, it was great. Turnout for her drives is eclectic, much like the Berlina Register. Crowd favorite was a Giulietta SZ, but there was also an almost totally original 59 Porsche 356, old faded paint, original engine and interior, raccoon prints on the roof, loved it.

What was not great is how "bangy" my left front suspension has gotten. I replaced the caster ball joint some time ago, which is in my experience the commonest cause, but that didn't fix it. So I figured lower ball joints, which I tackled today. Did both sides, even though the RF was done in the 17 years (!) I've owned it, I figured what the heck, they should match. RF was OK, LF had about 1/4 or 3/8" of vertical slop, so it was definitely time and money well well spent.

Checked everything else over while I was in there, things look OK. I should do the lower A-arm bushings at some point, but it's not crucial. Doing all this work on my old TI soon, so that'll be a warm-up.

To do this job, I used the factory spring tool to compress, then slowly release the spring til the ball joint was no longer under tension. The spring tool is one mofo, let me tell you. Worked great, you have to get the car up really high to use it.

Another item, we've discussed before, the Giulia Super is the only car I know this size that can carry of full set of tires in the trunk. See pic; I bought four Hoosier race tires for the race Super yesterday in SF, brought them home in the trunk. They're 185/65-15, fit perfectly. What a car. Put probably 250 miles on it yesterday, so great, crossed all three SF bridges, Bay, Golden Gate, and San Rafael.

Andrew
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:55 AM

Nice! Last summer my front end was very "bangy" too, turned out that the lower A-arm bushes were completely shot. Was a huge improvement when I changed them!

Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #50 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Well, the front end was better, but the bang returned. Clearly on the left, I had already replaced the ball joint at the front of the caster rod, so pulled off the upper A arm, which is very old, hasn't been changed in the 17 years I've owned the car. The plastic caster bushing was pretty ripped longitudinally and allowed movement, and the inner upper bearing was loose to the touch, the cause of the actual banging. Had a good one lying around, popped in it, all good. Put 100 miles on the car yesterday, like 200 today, looking at Explorers and seeing my nonegenarian (?) dad.

Upper arm comes off without compressing the spring, and I got to use my factory upper balljoint tool, always a thrill. Took less than an hour. Upper ball joint was still pretty good, they don'e seem under as much strain, but the boot was ripped from apparently previous removal with a pickle fork.

Andrew
post #51 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:09 PM

Did you check the center link tie rod ends? Sounds like one of those. It was on mine when the clunk started.
post #52 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Not steering, was unquestionably the upper inner A-arm bushing. Even bolted in, I could wiggle/bang it around by hand.
Andrew
post #53 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Just to say, as if any of us didn't know, what great cars. Did another 120 miles yesterday to look at, and buy, a truck for my son. No problem. Who says you can't use a 47-year-old Italian car as a daily driver? We use our old cars to retrieve our newer ones when they break down!

Andrew
post #54 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

This car doesn't get much press compared to my project cars because it just runs and works. Checked the trans oil, installed new spark plugs, took it on the Jan. 1 Anti-football rally and the Super drive, it just runs and runs; it's my everyday car. The new plugs made a big difference, very smooth.

Posting today because it was build Feb. 13, 1967, along with Keith Martin's basically identical green/tan Super, one VIN ahead of this one. Timothy Rodgers and I discovered that 10+ years ago when he owned it. Had both in my driveway nose to tail, wish I'd taken a picture. Happy 48th!

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew; 02-13-2015 at 08:04 AM.
post #55 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 12:10 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Excellent. That was always my goal, ie. to only have Alfa's in my shed/driveway.

Finishing the GTV might go a long way to prove to my lovely wife that Alfas can actually go
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #56 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I'm pretty focused; around my house it's rare to have an Alfa that doesn't run. My 58 Normale has the battery out for trunk floor work, but it could be running in five minutes if needed. My wife digs all this, I had a Super in 1981 when we met and I credit it with our getting and stay married.

Andrew
post #57 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 05:30 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I'm pretty focused; around my house it's rare to have an Alfa that doesn't run. My 58 Normale has the battery out for trunk floor work, but it could be running in five minutes if needed. My wife digs all this, I had a Super in 1981 when we met and I credit it with our getting and stay married.

Andrew
That is part of my problem. The Alfa has always been a project car to my wife as we met when it was in the middle of the restoration. She tolerates it but I know she would be over the moon if I woke up one day and sold it. Things will change when it is finished .
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #58 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I take on projects, no question, but I don't take on total restorations. I pick projects that suit my interest and skill, and in most cases a car will be operable in reasonably short order after I get it. The black to blue Duetto is testing that theory, with months of body work, but at least it's at the shop and not at my house.

Andrew
post #59 of 213 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

10 months since a post on this car. Been using it, basically. Seats have needed redoing for a couple years, driver's seat is just worn out, back of rear seat is sun-burned. Seats were done about a year after I got the car in 1997. Very good work, but it doesn't last forever. Kind of retired it a couple months ago and have been driving Fiat 128, VW Bug, Bosch Spider so as not to trash the seats further.

Talked to San Leandro Auto Upholstery, who did the seats on a previous Super in 1985, was happy with the work then, so why not now? He's still in business. Pulled the seats out last night, dropped them off this AM, he says he'll be done by next week. Carpets, which were also done in 1997, are World Upholstery wool, are showing some moth-type decay in a few places, but for now I'll leave them. It's all of a 10-minute job to remove the seats, so at some point I'll put in new carpets. But that's a whole-day job, in my experience.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #60 of 213 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 05:26 PM

Would you do the World Upholstery wool again?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode