Super getting some localized bodywork - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 PM

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  Alfa Gulia Super 023.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  68.4 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I too have had some localized body work - considerably more than I had anticipated when I took the car to the shop but certainly necessary.
Work done by Ayer European Auto in Gardiner, Maine, a shop I've worked with for the last 20 years or so. Very good quality and fairly priced.

Robert Willis
Attached Images

1967 Giulia Super
1969 Giulia 1300 Ti - Gone West
1977 Lola T-492 Sports 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

My car had the RR lower fender repair down in 2004 and it's the one part that remained OK that that body shop touched. Same basic repair on mine, not quite as extensive.

My car is reassembled and back in use. Will get some pics. Much as I like my Berlina, I like my Super better. Berlina (Spica) gets much better gas mileage though, especially in town.

Andrew
post #18 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Pics taken today in El Cerrito. Bodywork and paint suit my purposes; looks good, isn't so nice that I'm afraid to use the car. That's no indictment of the work, it's wanted I wanted and paid for. I could have paid for a ton more hours of prep and perfection that experience shows I wouldn't keep up to snuff.

I still plan to use this as my daily car, though I am more aware of its increasing value, and how much work and money I just put into it. I have to say, all things equal I'd rather the value of these hadn't gone up so much. Just my view from wanting to use it every day and not worry about it. The last couple months driving the beater Berlina have been great from this perspective; if it gets a scratch or ding, big deal. I don't even lock it.

About 1/3 of the car was painted and re-clearcoated. In most cases I can't tell where the old and new meet; mostly the joins and blended and buffed, not cleanly at panel breaks. Front left corner of hood was worked too, in addition to right roof, both rockers, both rear doors and wheelwells, and repaint on the whole trunk lid. Good work by Conrad and Andy. Conrad managed to do all the roof cutting and welding with my just pulling back the headliner a few inches, then regluing it when he was done. Did it myself, didn't have to involve an upholstery shop. Also, the new windshield, glare free. Weighs about half what the original Alfa glass did.

Andrew
Attached Images

Shiraz1965 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:06 PM

Looks really good...now it's time to enjoy it...daily

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #20 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Sweeeeeet!!!

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 GTV 1750 S2
1967 Giulia Super
post #21 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 PM

wow. Nice!

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
----------
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport
post #22 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Andrew, is this a prosourceglass windshield or one of the fancy Alfaholics lightweight ones? Asking, as I am in need to replace one ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Also, the new windshield, glare free. Weighs about half what the original Alfa glass did.

Andrew
post #23 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Not Prosource. It was one of two new ones I had with FWxxx sticker on it, so I believe an older one out of a warehouse. I want to say FW078, but will have to look it up. I can also look at the manufacturer "stamp," which unfortunately is somewhat high up on the driver's side, which seems like poor placement.
Andrew
post #24 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Looked at my glass. As I say, I had several windshields and can't recall specifically where this one came from. It has a sticker with FW00178 on it, the interchange number, but the sticker is gone now.

Glass has on it:
CCC within a circle
E000039 DOT 563 AS-1 M-668
FW00178

I presume CCC is the maker? FW00178 is the part number that any glass shop can find it with. But in terms of thickness and weight, I think it just depends on the luck of the draw. I have about 8 windshields; at some point I could dig them out and weigh them, but they're all under the house, a sore-back-making project.

Andrew
post #25 of 213 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Just found this picture of the Super in approximately its original cosmetic condition when I got it, summer 1997. This was at a Berlina Register tour, unsure of the year, can't recall the name of the guy who had the equally nasty Super with BWAs, in the picture behind mine.Tall German hippieish guy, never saw him again.

I bought the car 1997 when if failed smog, had a bad rod bearing, and was sinking into the pavement in Berkeley; Roger's in Oakland had to harass the owner to take it home. It became smog-exempt Jan 1998 and I registered it. The car was nasty in every way other than rust, kind of its one good point. By the time of this picture (early 2000s) I have installed an unbroken grille, new window seals, a new engine, redone the interior, 14" wheels and hubcaps from my old 1969 Berlina. Its original "volcano" 15" wheels were can-painted beige for unknown reasons.

Car was sold new in Oakland or Berkeley, has had six (maybe more) previous Bay Area owners, most of whom I've met. First owner Russell Potts lived up on Grizzly Peak in Berkeley, had a street GTA as well at the time. A neighbor a couple blocks over hailed me down when he first saw me driving this, told me about the original owner, who had been a friend of his. The "UAW" black license plate is a real spotting feature for folks.
Andrew
Attached Images

post #26 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Been enjoying the car immensely. The nice paint has prompted me to actually wash it form time to time. It's bodywork year; as I mentioned above, first I got the vandalism key scrape, then did that and the rust repair taking car of one of the dog-bites-Super dents at the same time. Well, two weeks ago, I don't know where, someone swiped the driver's door and LF fender slightly, probably in a poor parking lot maneuver. No note, and I don't even know when/where it happened. Will take it to a good paintless dent guy to see if he can work his magic. Otherwise it's back to Andy for pounding and paint. It's not a bad dent, but it's maddening as hell, and this is on collision coverage, while the vandalism was comprehensive, so I'll have to pay deductible.

In other news, I have loved the 165-14 Vredestein Sprint Plus tires on this car, had them for 10+ years. I don't drive enough to wear tires out through mileage, rather they die of dry rot, hardness, cracked sidewalls, carcass issues. These Vreds are my favorite tires ever, got them from a Berlina guy who bought them, then sold his Berlina before he mounted them. I picked them up in LA on the way back from buying a Berlina in Phoenix and driving it home. Mega adventure. But they're really cracked, and they've gotten old and distorted enough that if I rotate them, the carcass are screwy enough that the car doesn't track straight. Clearly on borrowed time.

Someone gave me a couple years ago these 185/70-14 Hercules tires on 2000 wheels, so I mounted them today and will put some miles on them to see how they are. If they work well, I'll transfer them to the Super's 1750 wheels. They're cheap, treadwear rating of 500, so they should last til the end of time. Drove around the block and the steering is nice and light. So we'll see how they drive and stick. They're a bit taller than the 165-14, OK with me. I like the clearance and the gearing.

I'm definitely not a tire snob. The Berlina has had two sets of Nankang Chinese tires on it, the latest which came with BWAs.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #27 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Not to mention that my new 750 Spider has 155-15 Sears tires, with tubes, bought in 1975. They're not cracked at all; I cannot imagine why not.
Andrew
post #28 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the tire comparison pic Andrew. Looking to up-size my tires.
currently have 165 hr 14 sprint classics which are fun but wanted to try another option.

I just picked up some saab steel wheels and was looking for tires and am thinking 185 65 15. Good to hear that your steering still felt light.
Of course that is on a Giulia compared to a berlina.

Tom

73' Berlina, 72' TR6, 97' T100, 08' GTI
post #29 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

This car has a ZF box, sort of rebuilt by Norman Racing 10+ years ago. They took two boxes I had and used the best parts of each to make one, though they couldn't cut new races. I personally like the feel of Burman boxes better, but this is what the car had, and each car can be so different depending on all kinds of factors.

Put 100 miles on it today, tires feel good. Car feels a bit more planted, which might be the wider, squarer rubber on the ground. Or my imagination. An annoying squeak from one of the Vreds is now gone.
185/65-14 ought to be very close to the diameter of 165-14.

Andrew
post #30 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
congratulations. turned out really nice!

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode