Super getting some localized bodywork - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 218 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I'm going to pass on the 124. If anyone's interested, it's on Sacramento CL. I think price is unrealistic, maybe half what he's asking? It does drive, though brakes are draggy.
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 218 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:08 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Note, pushrod 1400. I drove one of these to Reno and back years ago over Donner. Was not fast really, but they rev and they're willing and always up for an adventure.
Andrew
I'm assuming this is the ad: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...815828436.html Asking price is $4,700.

Probably wise to pass on this one - the pushrod powerplant definitely limits its appeal. Dash top is incredibly cooked, though hey, it is 47 years old. Now if it were a '69, two headlight coupe, it would get my interest.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-25-2019 at 10:12 AM.
post #153 of 218 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Well, it seemed like an easy way out of my Ghia. I'd rather drive almost any Fiat than almost any VW. But yeah, I don't need another project just now.
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Always one more trip, one more car to look at. Had a top secret Alfa to inspect in SoCal this weekend, so motored to Santa Monica in my Super. Went down 101 and PCH, came back by way of the desert, Palmdale, Mojave, Tehachapi, then up the Big Valley on 99. 814 miles, cruised 70, got 25 mpg. No issues at all, and what fun. Last trip two months ago I took the Berlina, so seemed time to take the Super. Met up with a Berlina friend in Santa Monica, saw his 71 Euro Berlina.

Here it is face to face with friend's Matta, then at a rest stop with trucker companions on 99 in Modesto. What a great car, but preaching to myself and you all.

Andrew
Attached Images

Gasolina, JCDK and GTA R like this.
post #155 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 AM

Your Super is looking great

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
post #156 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

To me, it's all in the driving. But yes, looking nice is good too. The car is not so good up close. My paint repairs from the start of this thread have come apart, so getting paint again pretty soon. Will get a workmanlike job because I use this car every day and it lives outside. No point in paying for paint I can't maintain.

The secret car I looked at was the opposite. Cosmetically stunning, and lots of $$ and attention lavished on upgrades, but they didn't know how to make the car feel all of a piece, and much doesn't work as it should. After you build it you have to spend time dialing it in. I've had this Super 22 years, it's dialed in. Coming down from Tehachapi to Bakersfield had a good thrash on Caliente Rd, Cal-Bodfish Rd., Bena Rd. 7:30 AM Sunday, no one but me was out. So fun. I have over 60K miles on this car now.

Andrew
PSk likes this.
post #157 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:11 AM

So true Andrew! My GTV is more go than show but I do miss that Super driving feeling.

Todd
'59 Sprint '71 GTV
post #158 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

If anyone's interested, the Matta above is going to be on "Jay Leno's Garage" soon, hosted by Donald Osborne. Don't have an air date yet, it was filmed a few weeks ago.
Andrew
jthames likes this.
post #159 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I've said this before: another weekend, another trip. My wife did an SF Tri Club training weekend up at Lake Berryessa in Napa County last weekend. She took our VW Westfalia Weekender to camp in. I drove up Friday to join her for the overnight and Saturday, took the Super. Nasty weather Friday, but the tradeoff was there was no one out on the road. Suisun Valley to Wooden Valley to the edge of the Napa Valley. Great drive, then back down through Pope Valley and Napa Valley Saturday, when again no one was out. About 150 miles RT, so fun.

Here's classic car camping. Everyone else in the tri club, young tech industry folks and whatnot, had normal modern cars.

Andrew
Attached Images

post #160 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:59 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:

Here's classic car camping. Everyone else in the tri club, young tech industry folks and whatnot, had normal modern cars.

Andrew
You mean one of those soulless things that requires a computer science degree to work on and is about as interesting to drive as a Disneyland bumper car?

Mike
1969 GTV 1750
1966 Super
San Diego, CA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #161 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Triathlon is not a poor man's sport. My wife is relatively old to be doing them, has been at it 20 years. Most of these pups are from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Tufts, etc., smart kids with good degrees and high pay. Well, you can't survive in SF now if you don't have high pay. A nice bunch, recall that 99% of folks don't drive interesting cars. On my 1000 miles to Escondido and back last weekend, I saw a Corvair on I-405, I think that was the extent of interesting iron on the road in California. It's boring out there.
Andrew
post #162 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
recall that 99% of folks don't drive interesting cars. On my 1000 miles to Escondido and back last weekend, I saw a Corvair on I-405, I think that was the extent of interesting iron on the road in California. It's boring out there.
I have observed this too and think it's something that has changed over the past 5-or so years. A decade ago, people visiting from the rustbelt would often remark on the cool old iron they saw used as daily drivers here in California. Not necessarily shiny, restored cars heading to a concours, but stuff like old Corvairs on their way to Safeway.

Today you no longer see first series Mustangs with faded paint, 70's Japanese mini pickups, etc. just being used as transportation. Everything on the road now is a new crossover, SUV, minivan or pickup.

I guess is this another sign of the current generation not interested in saving a buck by keeping old cars on the road and not viewing old cars as cool. We can't blame our smog laws - it isn't as if you see pre-76 cars, but not 76 and later. We can't attribute it to rust or annual safety inspections ('cause we don't have any).

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 03-25-2019 at 04:52 PM.
post #163 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:58 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I have observed this too and think it's something that has changed over the past 5-or so years. A decade ago, people visiting from the rustbelt would often remark on the cool old iron they saw used as daily drivers here in California. Not necessarily shiny, restored cars heading to a concours, but stuff like old Corvairs on their way to Safeway.

Today you no longer see first series Mustangs with faded paint, 70's Japanese mini pickups, etc. just being used as transportation. Everything on the road now is a new crossover, SUV, minivan or pickup.

I guess is this another sign of the current generation not interested in saving a buck by keeping old cars on the road and not viewing old cars as cool. We can't blame our smog laws - it isn't as if you see pre-76 cars, but not 76 and later. We can't attribute it to rust or annual safety inspections ('cause we don't have any).
Yeah, my daughter is 30 and she is the only one of her friends that knows how to drive a stick shift, tow a trailer and drive a boat.

Mike
1969 GTV 1750
1966 Super
San Diego, CA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #164 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:40 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post

There are plenty of young kids driving interesting old cars, they are just 80s and 90s cars. It's hard to believe that anything built in 1994 is now vintage.

Driving a 40+ year old car takes a level of commitment most just don't have. Andrew is a rare breed.

Plus in California, Oregon and other states cars from the late 70s are nearly impossible to smog, so many of them just got scrapped. I'd love to see a rolling 25 year exemption.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1984 GTV6, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 97 164LS
post #165 of 218 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:49 PM

You chaps ought to come over to New Zealand, especially Christchurch the home of classic cars in NZ. I regularly, despite the many used *** imports see classics daily driven. I suppose its because we are a suburban city where most homes people live in have a garage, and a relatively dry climate( 25" rain per yr) We do have a strong car culture here and heaps of classic USA cars here too. Most are in great daily driver, or better condition. Everything here from old Australian, British, USA, German, French and Italian vehicles. The average car over here is 10-20yrs old anyway but in good condition.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode