Wanted Alive: A Giulia - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Yeah, I've seen that one on the ABB before. Can't remember the guy's user name. Pretty sure he's in Boston. Looks like a nice car.

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 GTV 1750 S2
1967 Giulia Super
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 07:38 PM

looks nice!. want it! why does it say 1300?
post #153 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palito View Post
why does it say 1300?
Regardless, the description states it has a fresh 2L in it now.

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 GTV 1750 S2
1967 Giulia Super
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
That one looks very nice and seller seems honest.
Ask if rear axle gearing have been changed (original a 1300 car), could be tiresome on long runs with 1300 gearing.
Erik
post #155 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
That one looks very nice and seller seems honest.
Ask if rear axle gearing have been changed (original a 1300 car), could be tiresome on long runs with 1300 gearing.
Erik
I don't think it would make any difference. The red lines are the same. I don't think a 2L sounds any different at 4000 RPM than a 1300. My 1.3 purrs at 80 MPH. The only advantage to the 2L is acceleration and torque to get to 4000 and above. I don't believe a 4.77 paired with it would be a detriment.

I know the car and driver. I haven't driven it nor scrutinized it closely it but I would vouch for his honesty. He has another Super that he is keeping. Who needs a Sat and Sun car? For you left coaster who think everything rusts out here... we drive our cars in less threatening weather than you probably do.
post #156 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I have this car on the register, yes a 115.09 Nuova 1300 Super. Does belong to a BB regular, or at least was at one point.
Andrew
post #157 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Same Super from Denver CL that was listed earlier on 7/22. I hoped to see it when I F12'ed through Denver, but timing, and my desire to get home before I ran out of brakes, obviated it.
Andrew

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa...lia-super.html
post #158 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
I don't think it would make any difference. The red lines are the same. I don't think a 2L sounds any different at 4000 RPM than a 1300. My 1.3 purrs at 80 MPH. The only advantage to the 2L is acceleration and torque to get to 4000 and above. I don't believe a 4.77 paired with it would be a detriment.
I've experienced a 2L conversion on my Super with the original diff and a 4.10. Big difference in feel. With the original ratio I ran out of 1st gear very quickly, and the car felt frantic at speed. With the axle matched to the engine, the gears are well spaced and high speed cruising is relatively calm. It's not the red line that matters but the final ratio with the combination of transmission and axle gearing. I would not go back.

Dean
1974 2000 GTV / 1976 Giulia Nuova Super 2.0 / 1965 TR4

Last edited by dmericas; 08-12-2013 at 03:50 PM.
post #159 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmericas View Post
I've experienced a 2L conversion on my Super with the original diff and a 4.11. Big difference in feel. With the original ratio I ran out of 1st gear very quickly, and the car felt frantic at speed. With the axle matched to the engine, the gears are well spaced and high speed cruising is relatively calm. It's not the red line that matters but the final ratio with the combination of transmission and axle gearing. I would not go back.
A 4.10 will make any engine size less strained. It all depends on your driving pleasure. A racer would never use a 4.10 or 11. I find 1st gear an excuse to get moving and into 2nd as quickly as I can, not drag racing. Obviously, not in your case. In any case the car listed would be very happy in the hands of who ever buys it and any difference in the rear end will be a matter of getting used to, in my opinion. There are many many ratios that can make the whole experience different if you want one wants to start playing around with gear box ratios.
post #160 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 PM

Garage
My son is going thru some of this with the Formula SAE car, called the cascades, it plots the traction force vs speed for each gear. Need the torque curve to plot the set of curves and overall gear ratio for ea gear.
It seems to me this is the way to match the gear spacing to the engine characteristics.
Personally I'd like to see what this looks like for my car, 1600 Duetto engine with a 5.12.

George
64 TI (the violin), 87 911 Carrera coupe, 89 Peugeot 505 Turbo Wagon sleeper
post #161 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
It's a hill climber and stump puller George . . . First across the crosswalk too!!

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -
post #162 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:21 PM

As usual, we have wandered off the mark on the blue car for sale. Since we don't know if the rear end has been swapped out without asking the seller, a buyer who cares should probably investigate the answer to that question. What fits the fellow in Texas might not matter to a buyer when all is said and done.

BTW, I drive a '57 Giulietta Spider Veloce with a 5.12 for the last 30 years with a 5-speed... I've never missed the stock 4.10..It was delivered that way by special order and works just fine. It's really a matter of accepting the pluses and the minuses.
post #163 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
My dear friend from Mass. I was referring to George's car. He and I have had this conversation before. No clue what the Nuova has.Happy you like your cars' setups.

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
)(
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -
post #164 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
My dear friend from Mass. I was referring to George's car. He and I have had this conversation before. No clue what the Nuova has.Happy you like your cars' setups.
My comment wasn't directed at you just that we ALL have gotten off course including miao.
post #165 of 1728 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:08 AM

Garage
My apologies...just rambling.

George
64 TI (the violin), 87 911 Carrera coupe, 89 Peugeot 505 Turbo Wagon sleeper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode