My 67 Super Project - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

My 67 Super Project

Just what the BB needs, another Super project!

This my project I picked up in Sebastapol, CA 2 years ago. In retrospect I am not sure this car should have been saved but its mine now so here we go. Updates and progress will be pretty slow. My goal is a CSRG vintage racer that can be street legal again if I choose. This car is way too rough to restore fully (IMO) but I have tried to do things the best I can as a home hobbiest.

Before you say it, Andrew has the serial number already....

Isnt she lovely....
Attached Images

74 GTV (red) (rusty) (fun)
67 Super (white) (also rusty)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

It ran... somewhat

So I had to know it if would run.

Changed out the starter (burnt up)
rebuild the webers
new fuel pump

It tried to start but was struggling. Eventually some beating on the muffler loosened up about a million acorns and she coughed to life. Actually sounded pretty good but a pop out of cyl 1 and hard starting had me suspicious. compression test

pulled the head and there is a little corrosion problem. My pro welder buddy has since fixed this right up. However this was just for fun, the bodywork really needs attention before the engine.
Attached Images

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

just a bit of bondo right....

So this is by far my most advanced car body work I have ever tried. Done a bit of reading and other guys on the BB inspired me to give it a go. This car has been hit in front, repaired poorly with a lot off brazing. It was then hit again and partiallly repaired and left in the rain for years. I found a front passenger fender at APE, unfortunaltely the driver fender was terrible and the lower valance and radiator support are very poor on the APE piece as well. But its a start and you dont find parts for these very easily anymore.

Man it takes a lot of drilling to break out all the factory spot welds on the fender....
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

bumper horn and subframe

Unfortunately the driver side frame area where the sway bar attaches and lower radiator support attaches is totally rotten. Passenger side is fine. Seems much like Porsche 914's battery acid runs down into the frame and wreaks havoc. The Ape clip donated the replacement horn which i seam welded in place. I tried to overlap tabs as much as possible. I treated the inside of the frame rail to rust-mort and por-15. Was not fun trying to wire brush the inside. I suppose the only perfect way to fix this car would be a complete subframe dis-assembly like Daron does but thats way out of my budget and skill level.
Attached Images

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

more parts..

I got a new valance and lower radiator cross member from Classic Alfa. Great folks to work with. I cannot believe how fast they get parts to California. They always reply patiently to my questions and emails. They are reasonable on shipping, parts are top quality. I get status emails on my orders with tracking numbers. The US vendors could take a lesson on how to run a biz....

Borrowed a spot welder and this saved a lot of time installing the cross member and the lower valance. Plug welding is time consuming at my skill level.
Attached Images

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

cont...

On the top radiator cross member I had to seperate the inner and outer shell to be able to straighten it well. Its a meld of the original and the donor clip from APE. Some of this sheet metal is very thin and tough to weld without blowing holes. I am slowly getting better. Lots of grinding!

Once I had the crossmember on and test fitted the the lower valance and the hood along with a bit of measuring I seam welded the pass. fender back together and plug welded all the original spot welds...

The fenders did not line up at the lip but a bit of sectioning on the blue fender fixed that. Was much easier than I thought it was going to be. The stuff you think will be hard is always easy and via versa....
Attached Images

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

a little dash work

I took a break to rebuild the instruments. They are a really pretty piece. spray on stripper took care of the outer bezel and I disassembled the gauges to clean the glass, paint the silver bezels and polish the rust out of the chrome as best I could. I had a local shop reupholster the pad. I am really happy with this result.
Attached Images

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

a complete front end...

I did a big push this last weekend and got the big welding complete on the front end. Rebuilt the headlight housings and polished the 1 piece grill. The car originally had the figure 8 headlight bezels but I like the 1 piece grill. The stuff that came with the car was totally mangled anyway. I bought the 1 piece grill from the BB and got it for a good price but its very warped. It polished up nicely but is actually pretty pretzeled (twisted) from end to end. Stainless steel does polish up nicely but does not like to bend back to shape.

Next is the rear fender arches and rust holes in only one door ??? Why only one? A few holes in pan to fix and it should be relatively hole free. Suprisingly the lower side longs are rust free. No rhyme or reason to some of this rust action. I also got the rear fender arches from Classic Alfa, this area is trickier than its look. There is 3 layers here.

Anyhow its nice to drive into the garage and see a face on my Super, Its got such a nice smirk. Must be one of the coolest front ends in auto history.

Probably take a bit of a Alfa break now. My 914-6's engine needs some serious attention. My 7 year old is finally "into" cars and my only running sports car start spewing oil like the Valdeez.

Promise to update when thing happens. Appreciate all the info on this BB

cheers Daron
Attached Images

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx9146 View Post
I am really happy with this result.
As you should be, nice work!

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 03:36 AM

Nice job!

Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
It looks like you're doing it right! Nice job.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx9146 View Post
Just what the BB needs, another Super project!
No need for tongue in cheek on this one. Of course we need to see more Super projects! Its keeps sewing the seed of covetousness in the hearts of all spider and coupe owners!

Very ballsy to cut off all that metal on the front. It'll be a fun car when you are finished. Keep up the great work.

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 04:23 PM

Wow that was a lot of work. My super just had some rust on the sway bar mounts. I didn't bother with fixing it and just fixed the outer sheet metal since I went with a rear mount front anti-roll bar. It acts as a chassis stiffener too! Sooooo much better !

Dan Walker, Stevenson Ranch CA
67 Duetto, 93 Spec Miata
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Super

NICE work!

Pat Hood
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:48 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Brilliant!!!

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Tags
67, project, super, welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode