Aussie '66 Giulia Super Resto - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Aussie '66 Giulia Super Resto

Well its about time I started a thread on the “freshening up” of my 1966 Giulia Super.

I bought the old girl a few years back on ebay, well sort of, as I rang the guy made an offer and he withdrew the ad. It has had a hard live after spending 25+ years in Nimbin. Aussies will know that town is pretty infamous for a particular type of grass… Anyway I went and visited the PO down there a couple of months ago and he told me he used it as a ‘work ute’ to carry building supplies up the side of the mountain he now lives on! He also swapped parts onto it from any giulia models he could get his hands on.

So I drove it for a couple of years everyday to get to work, heaps of fun and it performed admirably in traffic. Fixed various small bits and pieces as I went and was going to keep doing this without taking it off the road for any long period of time. When the clutch went I thought I’d pull the engine and well one thing led to another and you know how it goes, here comes the engine rebuild and bare metal respray!

I’ll post a few pics and comment more as I go.

First pics are from the day I bought it.
Attached Images

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

First thing I needed to do was replace the windscreen and rear window rubbers as they were shot and leaking. You could push the windscreen in and out! Made it easy to remove

While I had the glass out I welded and reinforced the A pillars that were cracked, probably from the stress of the bumpy roads near Nimbin. Better than the bits of galv plate covered the cracks and were screwed each side of the crack

Another 'while I'm at it', I replaced the front windscreen with a new one (not the best fit though as it was a bit short on the lower corners), and took the roof,pillars and cowl back to bare metal to get rid of the sky blue roof that the PO said "made it look more European". It was like texture paint that he had done from a can.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 PM

Hi Derek,

Looking forward to seeing more pics as your resto continues. Maybe we will have to meet 1/2 way across Oz one day (In our '66 supers of course). I'm currently gathering parts to get my 1300 TI back on the road.

Ciao for now,

Bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Hi Bill, sounds like a plan! What bits do you need for your 1300? I have a spare 1300 head on the shelf.
Just came back from a visit to the body man. Looks like I might be looking for a replacement front right door

post #5 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:24 PM

Let me know where and when, I will front up in my '66 (white) Super too!

1967 Giulia Sprint Veloce, 1977 Alfetta GTV, 2009 159 JTS Ti
post #6 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 AM

Hi Derek, if Geoff Cotton over there above Bryon Bay could finish his white '64/65 Ti you could add another one for a meetup. Mine regrettably is such a long way off being finished and besides will become Blu Hollandese, but as discussed previously perhaps with a white roof ??

Not sure if I have a spare RHS door and I suspect they are probably becomming a little hard to find these days. Good luck. I can ask some questions of a mate of mine to see if he has any left. Its just possible he might.

Goodluck with your project. Dave

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
years"
post #7 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 03:58 AM

Hi Derek,

I've just emailed you as I've got a lot of brand new parts which might tempt you if you plan on doing a really good job on this Super!

Cheers,

Alex.
post #8 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 05:14 AM

Hi Alex, if Derek isn't interested or doesn't need what you have you might also like to PM me too, since I am also well into the restoration of my '69 Super, which I have been restoring back to look like a '67 Super, including full connolly leather interior, full mechanical rebuild and a major de-rusting. Mine needed all 'new' doors, cills, etc etc. Would be good to know what you have since I probably still need some parts. Dave

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
years"
post #9 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:32 AM

Hi Dave,

Email sent to you too

Alex.
post #10 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:25 AM

Alex,

Can you send me one as well?

John Trevey
post #11 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa2go View Post
.....Looks like I might be looking for a replacement front right door
Hi, I look forward to following your restoration progress. In the event you haven't seen my restoration thread, which I think is finally finished, here's the link: 1972 Super Restoration Project

And, if you get hardup for a door down in your part of the world, I think I may have an extra, we'd just have to figure out what it's worth and the shipping issues/costs.

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD
post #12 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM

Derek, cheers for starting your resto thread. I'll be an avid reader!

1966 Giulia Super (current)
1966 Giulia Super (R.I.P.)
1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
post #13 of 613 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Phil it would be cool to start the Aussie Strada Giulia Bianca Club! Dave, I still reckon Polizia blue for you. Alex, thanks for the email, will follow up with the extra info soon, Gifford thanks for the parts offer,(Dave too) of course I will look local first but it wouldnt be the first time I have had something big sent over the pond, Robert, I hope it is a good read and thanks for some stuff you have already sent me!

It is a bit daunting, and I am scared what I will find under the paint on the sills and front right guard. It has had a hit on the front right at one stage, and was badly repaired so I will replace the front corner. I have a repro lower valance and may need to replace the upper radiator support too.

Pulling the engine was actually pretty easy once I found all the nuts under 40 years of crap. Gotta be on of the filthiest engines Ive seen! One thing that nearly got me was that the chain I had on the hoist hook was a touch too long and I nearly didnt clear the front radiator support because I hit the limit of the hoist! It is definitely a good tip to have the rear of the car up high.

This is the original engine and at one point I did consider putting a 2L in but I am going to aim for original for this car now. It does have a 1750 head on it though but I will be putting a 1600 back on it.

My father in law is a retired mechanic who is doing the bottom end rebuild for me. It was nice giving him a box full of new parts to go into it, pistons, liners, etc. I have a rebuilt ported and polished 1600 head still in bubble wrap that will take some 10548 cams that should do the job nicely. Will post pics when I find them.

Soooo, full rebuild for this engine including gearbox and carbs.
Attached Images

Last edited by alfa2go; 08-01-2009 at 04:58 AM.
post #14 of 613 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 09:13 PM

Hey Derek,

Thanks for the offer of 1300 bits but I'm gonna keep my original 1300 in storage as I have a 2L to go in the 1300TI. The plan is to keep the giulia super stock with it's 1600 and build the 1300TI up as more of a hot streeter. Keep the pics coming.

Ciao 4 now,
Bill.
post #15 of 613 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 03:29 AM

Derek

Did I miss something but was there one exhaust port missing from that photo of the exhaust in the engine bay?
I have a fair collection of parts, doors, guards, trim (lots of) and various other bits if anyone is in need of same. Have also tracked down a source for new heater diaphragms if anyone is having heater problems like yours truly.
Barry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode