Aussie '66 Giulia Super Resto - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to aikendrum105
Here's a few mate, will grab some more of the front head-on tomorrow for the upper / lower panels (the other car is parked right up in front and I've already got my jim-jams on.. Hahaha

Let me know if that's what you're after, or if you need something else entirely
Attached Images

Scott Murray
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon -- brilliant car for the daily, kids taxi and parts hauling

in officina -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 -- TwinSpark+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

che figata -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Another couple.

Cheers,
Attached Images

Scott Murray
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon -- brilliant car for the daily, kids taxi and parts hauling

in officina -

che figata -

post #78 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Scott, the reference photos are great. I wonder if those plastic screw plugs are generic that I can pick up locally?

Well they let me loose with the pistol sander last night so I worked around the door apertures and there was no bad rust just a bit of pitting.

Name:  SUPER_paint_strip_01.JPG
Views: 1168
Size:  123.3 KB

They have the front panel off at the moment and the front crossmember although it is filthy in the photo is in great condition. I was a bit worried due to their tendancy to rust but I think all the grease and grime kept it protected from water! I will snap a pic of the old lower panel later so you can see what a real bodgy bog job looks like!

Name:  SUPER_paint_strip_02.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  49.0 KB

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

www.montreal.alfa-male.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Looks excellent - I'm jealous mine isn't going back to bare metal this time around - I know the lines on my car won't be as crisp as they should be due to 2-3 coats of paint...

Those little round plugs - if you can't find them anywhere - I'm sure I could turn up a set for you easy enough on the lathe out of some white delrin or similar...

I have to chase up a trimmer for those metal clips that peg the headlining to the body - when I find some I'll see if they know a source for the plastic plugs.

Cheers,

Scott Murray

in officina -

che figata -

post #80 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks mate, I will also have a look through my buckets of bits to see if I have any spare metal clips. They were pinging off all over the place last night when I was detaching the edge of the headliner. I guess I better collect them all. How many do you think you need?

post #81 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 PM

I will have to check out the front of my car, since I too could probably do with such plastic screw plugs. If you come across a source please keep us aware of this. Alternatively Scott, if you were keen to make some up, I too could use them and would be happy to pay for them.

Re the metal clips for the headliner, I wonder if they are the same ones as used on the dash to hold the wood and chrome trims in place. If so, I have a couple of bags of plastic clips which Gifford (Geh105) sent over to me, to replace the old rusty metal clips. I probably have more than I need. I will find the bags and take a photo of the plastic clip and post it for you guys to see. If they are what you need, I can post some across to you.

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
years"
post #82 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Platinum Subscriber

my google-fu is strong today... the headliner trim clips are like this... ish.

Edge Clips (including 'D' and 'S' types and Edge Panel Clips) | Classic Car Parts

Edge clip 8.7mm height ,for material thickness of 0.8 - 2.0mm, width 12.7mm. General application. | Edge Clips (including 'D' and 'S' types and Edge Panel Clips) | Classic Car Parts

The dash clips are a little different I think - work over the chrome pins coming through from the strips If I remember - and are also the 'bugger em to remove' type. I have seen cars with m3 nuts screwed over the pins instead to hold the trim on. same for the bootlid scripts

Derek, I'd say half of mine are missing at the moment - a goodly few, that's for sure.. More of a 'buy a bag of 100' type fix perhaps

Scott Murray

in officina -

che figata -

post #83 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

So what do people use as replacement screws for the door hinges? Mine have been suitably trashed over the last 44 years. Luigi had a dumb idea by putting in the internal hex type screws. Useless. Do the later cars have a better type that are countersunk like mine? Cant see any repros at Alfaholics, Classic Alfa, Centerline etc.

I figure I need to get my doors hung soon just to make sure things sorta line up...
Attached Images

post #84 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 03:00 PM

Hi Derek, that is a really good question and one which I have no answer. I will check what the guy who worked on my car's bodywork did when re-hanging the doors.

I only have the driver's door which is currently not hung, but I bought off ebay some spare hinges a year or two ago, and I am pretty sure they came with screws. So you would be more than welcome to any I don't need, if they are in good condition. I just need to find which envelope they are in, in my boxes of Super parts.

I will get back to you once I have found them. Dave

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
years"
post #85 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi mate - I'll pop a couple of mine out and take a picture - but the screw you posted looks quite similar to those used on the 1750 GTV I used to have - conplete with the self-tapping / thread-cleaning notch they have...

A quick one for you - the engine in the car when I bought it didn't have an oil-pressure sender - there's no provision for one on the block either, and the alternate location (or oil temp sensor location) on the top of the cartridge oil filter housing is blanked off.

I've tried both a later Jaeger and Veglia sender I had knocking about - but they peg the oil pressure gauge at full.. Do you have any info / images of the sender in your car (as they're both '66 models with the earlier gauge set they should be similar)

Cheers,

Scott.

Scott Murray

in officina -

che figata -

post #86 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

I got some similar, without the notch at my bolt bloke.
post #87 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Well following Jim's lead I went to the bolt place near me and came up with these. They fit and at 16 cents each will do the job fine for me. The one on the left is from my '66 sedan and the one on the right from a '66 coupe. The new one doesn't have a domed head or notch.
Attached Images

post #88 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

I also did a couple of hours at the body shop where I got a better idea of where my car sits in the queue. At the end. That ok as it will save me money since I am doing the dumb grunt work of stripping the paint. They are cleaning it up after I do a section and giving it a coat of epoxy primer. I'll be happy when I see the end of the engine bay though!
They were able to save my front right guard as well. They got the metal back into the correct shape, and gave it a quick prime which is where it is at in the photo. More work on the guard still to come of course.

Scott, my Super engine is at my father-in-law's place. I do have a 1600 GT veloce engine buried up in the back corner of my garage. I may need to build some fancy monkeybars to get to it but I will see if I can have a look soon.
Attached Images

post #89 of 613 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Wow - I'm having deja-vu looking at that stripped engine bay - right down to the wiper scuttle drain hose falling apart when I tried to pull it through...

I know what you mean about being at the back of the queue - but that's usually the way of things - there's plenty of Mercs with parking dings that need to be fixed pronto to keep the cashflow coming in

Looks great though - the time for bolting on all those shiny NOS bits fast approaches !

No stress on the pressure sender - I think Milano's have chased one up for me - and you can get the earlier ones from Centerline, and also a compatible sender from VDO here in AU apparently.... I guess in a pinch I could muck about with a transistor to reverse the signal..

Scott Murray

in officina -

che figata -

post #90 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Nose Job

Well after a bit of a break after Christmas & New Years its back into the bodywork. The front end is coming along nicely. The engine bay has been stripped to bare metal and primed, the front left corner repaired, and the lower valance replaced with a replacement panel from Germany. Most repair panels seem to originate there. Check out the old lower panel! I remember when I first bought the car and was cleaning it up a bit, I found a butter knife caked in dried body filler behind it!

Things are progressing well, I am moving around to the back for a while and hopefully not too many nasty surprised under the paint.

It might be a while before I can get back across the river to where the car is if these crazy floodwaters keep rising.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode