Aussie '66 Giulia Super Resto - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 613 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa2go View Post
the marchals werent necessary but I love the look of them undermounted to the bumper like the Carabinieri cars and who knows they might have come off a 250 GTO!
Hi Derek, and congratulations on your finds! But Marchals are, in fact, more than necessary (that's the way I feel anyway...)

GT 1600 Junior 1973, 159 2.4 JTDM 2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 613 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
Hi Derek, and congratulations on your finds! But Marchals are, in fact, more than necessary (that's the way I feel anyway...)
WoW I reckon you could cause some retina damage to someone with all those turned on!

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #48 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Well, I know its been a while but I guess I should give a little update on the lack of progress on my car, stupid GFC and architecture industry

I nearly have the funds back up to finish the bodywork and have given my retired mechanic father-in-law a nudge to get back to my engine

He did ask me the other night when the bottom end of my engine was rebuilt. I have receipts back to 1982 and the only receipt I have for the bottom end is for new rings in 1994. Bear in mind that the PO reckons he has put about 500000km on this engine! He definitely wasnt a big fan of replacing seals and gaskets though.

The reason my FIL asked was because he reckons the pistons and liners look as new and because he can still see the original honing marks. How can this be? I will still replace the bottom end bearings and full gasket set but it looks like the pistons and liners are good.

In my usual style I am still buying other bits and pieces, and now pretty much have all NOS shiny bits such as door handles, indicators etc, so that will be nice putting them back on the shiny paint.

I also bought a set of widened 15" steelies as I love the original caps but am not a big fan of the 4.5" wide look and as we all know a pain in the posterior to get tyres for.
The widened steelies have 205/50 continentals on them and apparently fitted his Ti with no body modification or rubbing but I think I will put 195/65s on them for a while. I figure the offset must be pretty spot on. Hell, I'm still young so indulge me on this little sway from originality for a while. I still have original steelies I can go back to. I will have koni reds, new springs and adjustable arms as my only other mods.
Below is a picture of his car with wheels fitted sans-hubcaps
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alfa2go; 07-01-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Gold Subscriber

The end is neigh Derek. Don't stop now the car looks fantastic, can't wait to see the completed beauty.
Jim
post #50 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 AM

Is that a Gordon Keeble I see in the corner?

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
post #51 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg1053 View Post
The end is neigh Derek. Don't stop now the car looks fantastic, can't wait to see the completed beauty.
Jim
Jim, I hope you are not mistaking the Green Ti for my car? Just the wheels are now mine. I'm pretty sure the end is not neigh for my car!

Alex, I had to google that one and reckon you might be right. A pretty rare car over here I would think. A contemporary stable mate.

post #52 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Jim, I hope you are not mistaking the Green Ti for my car? Just the wheels are now mine. I'm pretty sure the end is not neigh for my car!

Alex, I had to google that one and reckon you might be right. A pretty rare car over here I would think. A contemporary stable mate.
Derek, like my project Giulia Super restoration, keep the dream going for one day they will be finished. Hold on to that thought The wheels for steelies look damned nice, and funnily enough pretty similar to the Alfaholics GTA alloy wheels. Good pickup for sure.

Well spotted Alex re the Gordon Keeble, I suspect you could be correct. I wonder how many would realise if you put a Gordon Keeble and a 2600 sprint side profile on, just how similar they are in design. The Gordon, though having US muscle under the bonnet unlike the 2600 twincam 6. Dave

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
years"
post #53 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 07:01 AM

Hi Derek,
I know what you mean by lack of progress, Im in the same boat and like you are buying many parts. I think the rims look great, love that photo of the green Ti, I bought the springs out of that car and Nigel did claim he had no rubbing issues with the widened steelies, so looks like the offsets about right for a super.

Keep ploding along your doing well

Alex - Great pick up well spotted.

Pep

Current - 1974 GT 1600 Junior, 1984 Alfetta GCL Sedan
Gone - 2002 147, 1988 75 TS, 1982 GTV 2.0, 1982 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
post #54 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 02:24 AM

I dont think that's a Gordon Keeble, I'd put my money on Trumph Herald - the bonnet isn't long enough, and there's no part of the bonnet scoop visible and, reputedly the only GK in Australia is in Grafton NSW. Derek, when you finish your car, drive it down! Please..!
post #55 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Giulia parts wanted

Hi Barry

Thanks for your reply. I'm have a 67 Giulia that I will be restoring and am in need of a few bits. Front bumper & brackets, timber dash facia panels, left rear AR script badge (as per 69 model) for starters. I look forward to hearing from you. Cheers, Ron
post #56 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 03:29 PM

Modelling drawings

Hi Derek. I can't say that I know much about the modelling software process that you are using but the drawings look great. I thought you might have mentioned something about not having much to go with in terms of scale referencing so I'm attaching a Giulia spec drawing that I found a while back which you might be able to make use of. If not then that's ok as others might like to keep it as a reference. Cheers
Ron
Attached Images

Last edited by patanga; 07-11-2010 at 03:34 PM.
post #57 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ron, yep those are the line drawings I am using. Here is where it is at after spending a couple more hours on it last week. The 105 coupe would have been so much easier to model.
Attached Images

post #58 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
T The 105 coupe would have been so much easier to model.
Well come on then mate, get started!
post #59 of 613 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Don't encourage me! It is a family trait I have inherited to start too many projects and not finish any of them. I must stay focused...

post #60 of 613 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

OK, well for my 1000th post I figured it had to be a suitable milestone, so here is a pic of my car finally arriving at the body shop yesterday. The body man is a bit scared of what he might find other than the obvious bits. I do have a heap of repair panels but its the inner panels that are always the worry.
Does anyone have a good pic of what is behind the rear quarter panel?
This thread should start moving now as I empty my pockets quickly. Who knows what I might have to sell to fund my addiction!
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode