Aussie '66 Giulia Super Resto - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 PM

Hi Derek,

Good work and it sure has come a long way, pretty beautiful grille you got there......and kids too.

Good luck,

tsu105 Giulia Super 1.6 1972 Dark Blue,GTV 2000 1973 Grigio Chiaro ,Giulia Super Biscione 1972(restoration) GTV 916 2.0 T.Spark 2002 Grigio Chiaro Red Style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Tsu105. I am really getting frustrated by the things that are getting in the way of this resto but hey thats life.
Got a bit bored on a few lunchbreaks and have started to model up my car. Never done a car before, architecture is my field.
Attached Images

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #33 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa2go View Post
Thanks Tsu105. I am really getting frustrated by the things that are getting in the way of this resto but hey thats life.
Got a bit bored on a few lunchbreaks and have started to model up my car. Never done a car before, architecture is my field.
Cool.

BIM or AutoCAD?

1966 Giulia Super (current)
1966 Giulia Super (R.I.P.)
1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Cinema 4D actually. Its like 3D Studio Max and I'll render it eventually with Vray. Most architectural cad software would struggle with these sorts of shapes. I use Archicad in our office. It would have been easier to do the 105 coupe I noticed as the Giulia sedan has some tricky bits to model such as the bootlid and all those little raised bits down the sides, under the bonnet strip, etc. Might be fun when it is finished to try some peoples ideas for race car paint jobs!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 PM

Hi Derek

Great drawings of the Giulia, I was going to ask about the technical aspects of the drawing but noticed that Il Vecchio did. I used to be an architectural student in another life, though never finished the degree. Had a change in career direction and went into science instead (marine biology). Ended up in Environmental Management !! Go figure.

Back to the drawings, would be really keen to see the finished rendered drawings, but had wondered how well CAD coped with the complex curves. Interesting to see how far the technology has moved on since the 80s !! Dave

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
years"
post #36 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Hi Dave, I'm yet to have a career change as I still enjoy architecture but its pretty common these days to change directions particularly amongst my age group and below (I'm a gen X). One of my friends at work is a registered architect but got he car dealers licence last year and also started a tattoo parlour a few months back!

When the giulia model is finished I will probably save it as a VR object which means anyone will be able to open it in Internet Explorer or Flash Player and spin the 3D model around to their hearts content. I'll add a few buttons so you can change its colour and wheel type etc. I'll add a Polizia paint scheme option for your inspiration too!
There really arent many limits these days!

post #37 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Derek,
That will be something to see.
Jim
post #38 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to cucinando
Thumbs up

Hey Derek. I'm back on the BB air with some time and money (**** you GFC!!) to get back to my Jnr resto.

Good work on the Super. Your doors looked OK - did you strip them yourself before sending to the shop? What was the process? And if it's not too rude, can you disclose an approximate cost to have them fixed in metal? I want to do the same with the Jnr.

Glad to be back on the BB, happy to see some old faces still supporting the community.

Gavin Cooke
'66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (project
)
post #39 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:51 AM

Great work on the drawing. Would be awesome if you could eventually do the same for the coupe and Berlina. I'm sure many of us would love to be able to play around with colour and wheel combo's.

'74 GTV 2000 - gone but not forgotten
'70 1750 Berlina - Project
post #40 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucinando View Post
Hey Derek. I'm back on the BB air with some time and money (**** you GFC!!) to get back to my Jnr resto.

Good work on the Super. Your doors looked OK - did you strip them yourself before sending to the shop? What was the process? And if it's not too rude, can you disclose an approximate cost to have them fixed in metal? I want to do the same with the Jnr.

Glad to be back on the BB, happy to see some old faces still supporting the community.
Hey Gavin good to see you are back on the BB! I am still looking for that monetary recovery myself... As for the doors, bonnet and boot I took them to a soda blaster and it cost about $550 I think to get them all stripped. Soda blasting doesnt generate heat so you wont warp any panels however it wont remove rust, just paint and filler. Doesnt leave any nasty residue as you just hose them down after.
My body guy had to go over them with the disc though as the metal was a bit to polished for the primer to go on. Averaged about $300-400 per door to get them to top coat stage by the time they cut the rust and replaced with metal. I am very happy with the work done so far. I will be even happier when all the new front panels are on though!

post #41 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo105 View Post
Great work on the drawing. Would be awesome if you could eventually do the same for the coupe and Berlina. I'm sure many of us would love to be able to play around with colour and wheel combo's.
Hi Damo, will see how I go, but yeah it would be good to do the suite! I'm not exactly fast at this sort of modelling though. I might do the wheels and windows tomorrow.

post #42 of 613 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa2go View Post
Hi Derek,

pretty cool work on the AutoCad, cant think of a better thing to do during lunch breaks After all the typical day in a an Italian car designer is having a few lattes, cappucinos and espressos in between doing a few drawings...best kind of work in my opinion.

tsu105 Giulia Super 1.6 1972 Dark Blue,GTV 2000 1973 Grigio Chiaro ,Giulia Super Biscione 1972(restoration) GTV 916 2.0 T.Spark 2002 Grigio Chiaro Red Style.
post #43 of 613 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Brilliant work on the CAD model! Did you take a point cloud measurement of the car? or is it "traced" from a photo and then NURBS'd . really admirable work as I have done both methods with smaller parts and spent a lot of time getting it done. I'll look forward to the finished rendering.. (and an .iges or .stp file if its an available format from your platform!).

Really really nice work.

'62 Giulietta spider --- '74 spider rolling chassis--- '64 Giulia Ti --- '6o's DUCATi 250cc cafe racer.

post #44 of 613 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sono veL.O.ce View Post
Brilliant work on the CAD model! Did you take a point cloud measurement of the car? or is it "traced" from a photo and then NURBS'd . really admirable work as I have done both methods with smaller parts and spent a lot of time getting it done. I'll look forward to the finished rendering.. (and an .iges or .stp file if its an available format from your platform!).

Really really nice work.
Thanks it is coming along slowly. Working on the grille at the moment. I'll get back to the body later. I am working off a dodgy plan and some elevations. Lucky I have so many spare parts under my desk at work that I can measure, am I the only one?
Dont think my program exports igs and stp but I'm sure there will be something that will exchange well with whatever you use.
Attached Images

Last edited by alfa2go; 02-04-2010 at 01:01 AM.
post #45 of 613 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

You are all probably sick of me getting distracted from finishing the bodywork, but here are my latest purchases. I am pretty sure I have most of the new trim and bits I need now. This is after recently buying bits from the UK, Germany, Italy, Malta, & the U.S.!

The front Carello indicators are in great condition, the marchals werent necessary but I love the look of them undermounted to the bumper like the Carabinieri cars and who knows they might have come off a 250 GTO! The Maserati Fiamm Triple horns were also unnecessary but are period like the marchals. And finally a set of NOS door rubbers! I have been hunting these for a couple of years. You pay a premium but the result in good door shut is worth it. In the end I have a spare front left are rear left I just put on ebay.
Front Left Door Seal
Rear Left Door Seal

Oh, and my paint & panel fund is getting even more diminished as I have to dip into it to fund the 'family holiday' to Melbourne that just happens to co-incide with the Alfa Centenary celebration
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode