Aussie '66 Giulia Super Resto - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 613 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Edmunds View Post
Derek

Did I miss something but was there one exhaust port missing from that photo of the exhaust in the engine bay?
I have a fair collection of parts, doors, guards, trim (lots of) and various other bits if anyone is in need of same. Have also tracked down a source for new heater diaphragms if anyone is having heater problems like yours truly.
Barry
Interesting spot! I am a bit baffled too as to why you cant see it, I can assure you it was there when I unbolted it!

Barry I might get you to have a look to see if you have some bits such as front carello indicator housings and front left indicator spear. The jury is still out on my front right door and I am also looking for the early metal battery tray.

Oh and the right rear door hinges. I got a bit frustrated with those stupid round head bolts with the hex key hole in the centre, of course all of mine were rounded off and I got to the hinges with a grinder in the heat of the moment

I will go down to the panel shop this week and take a few pics of the doors and bonnet and boot. They were sodablasted, which was great to remove the paint but then had to be machine sanded as they were too smooth for the primer. They are really starting to look good but it is scary what you find under paint...

Photo update coming soon

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com

Last edited by alfa2go; 09-07-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 613 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 12:20 AM

Derek
I have two of the Carello indicator repeater lights and think I have a couple of the Carello front units in the colelction as well. Lenses are a bit hard to get at the moment.
Those round head hinge bolts are worse than stupid and near impossible to loosen so you usually finish off rounding out the hex holes. Yes I too had to resort to the angle grinder treatment.
Barry
post #18 of 613 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Great, I'll PM you about the bits. I have new indicator spear lenses and my front lenses are ok its just the housings are really badly pitted. I might have a few goodies I think I saw you were looking for a while back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 613 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 03:20 AM

Alex, or Dave

Could I get a copy of the parts list?

Thanks
Barry
post #20 of 613 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Well here are some pics of my doors, bonnet and boot at the panel shop. A few surprises under the paint, but want to do this right so they will be cut out and patched properly. The front left door is the most troublesome and not just because it seems to have grown legs
Attached Images

post #21 of 613 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:12 AM

Looking nice, straight and clean Derek, excellent basis for the impending resto. The rust pitting doesn't appear too bad.

You should have seen my original doors. Scrap/spare parts only.

Keep posting some pics as progress occurs as will be most interested. Dave

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
years"
post #22 of 613 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Well by far the worst part of my car is the front right corner where it has had a fair hit in the past. The repair was pretty average but I guess these cars weren't worth much 10-20 years ago. I have a replacement front right guard, lower valance and radiator support cross member for it though.

Name:  IMG_2948_sml.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  40.1 KB

And here are a few goodies that will be going on. With a fresh paint, it would look a bit average putting on the cracked and busted bits that were on it. I must admit I enjoy tracking down parts and meeting people along the way!
The Carello headlights are all NOS, I would have liked to have gotten the early 7" Carellos but alas they were elusive (and probably expensive!)

Name:  IMG_2949_sml.jpg
Views: 1986
Size:  58.2 KB
Name:  IMG_2947_sml.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  49.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2950_sml.jpg
Views: 1996
Size:  19.0 KB

post #23 of 613 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:15 PM

Yeeoch Derek, that filler looks damned thick. Just as well you were able to track down the spare panels. The NOS Carellos look sweet and I so agree why would you want to put old parts back on your restored car. I have yet the pleasure of tracking down new lights but am well aware they are available from Classic Alfa/Alfaholics etc. It all depends on cost as to precisely which lights I will acquire. I have new indicators, and picked up some nice condition second hand tail lens but am now thinking it would look even better with new ones.. **** more $$ to spend. I also have the C piller badges but not yet a new round mirror. Oh well, once you have gone so far there is no looking back, heh heh. I should do an inventory of all the parts I have acquired for my project as I know I have a lot stashed away for it.

Are you repainting your car in Hawthorn (Bianco Spino) white or is it to receive a colour change? I just can't recall what you may have had planned for it.

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
years"
post #24 of 613 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 PM

Any chance there is a pair of indicator spears out there for sale ?

Dan

Dan Walker, Stevenson Ranch CA
67 Duetto, 93 Spec Miata
post #25 of 613 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:03 PM

Hi Dan, you might like to PM Barry Edmunds as I recall he previously mentioned he has heaps of parts for Supers or alternatively Alex over in the UK as he too may have what you are looking for. Dave

years"
post #26 of 613 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm still looking for the left, I have a pair of pitted ones that you can have once I find a nice leftie.

post #27 of 613 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Thought I should do a final update for '09. I have been able to source a few parts that had eluded me such as NOS original door rubbers, NOS front carello indicators, etc

Cant say I am particularly happy with the delay in the resto but you know how funds have to get redirected sometimes. Still, January is looking positive to finish the bodywork. I guess an advantage of having a drawn out resto is the kids get old enough to help out!

A mate spotted this grille on the wall of a metal plating shop. Couldnt believe my luck that the centre lower heart wasnt broken. It will be nice to put the correct grille back on my Super. Pulled it out today to see how it would clean up.
Attached Images

Last edited by alfa2go; 01-02-2010 at 05:23 PM.
post #28 of 613 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Kids did a pretty good job I reckon
Attached Images

post #29 of 613 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 AM

Derek,

That's quite a find! I was lucky enough to get one at a parts jumble a few months ago, but yours looks like new - and is obviously a credit to your kids. Don't knock child labour!

I happen to have some of the inner lights, NOS, with the cursive Carello script ... let me know if you need a pair.

Cheers and a happy new year,

Alex.
post #30 of 613 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Gold Subscriber

Derek,
What a find! You are doing some great worke there. Keep up the effort as it is worth it in the end. "Do it properly only once". Another one saved.
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode