Scuderia Houston , exists?? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Since we can assume those following this thread are mostly Houstonians, it might add some humor to note that when we moved there in 1965, Memorial City did not yet exist, and there was nothing West of Gessner Rd than prairie.

I had a summer job at Brown and Root over on Canal street. I10 was 4 lanes (2 per side) up to 610, at which point one had to drop down onto Old Katy Hwy into downtown, through the city streets, and out the Eastern side up onto Canal for the rest of the trip. I could leave our home in Bunker Hill Village at 7AM and be at work at 730, no problem.

Then, someone flushed Detroit and the town filled up.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Montreal?

There was a Montreal at SW Motors? The first and only one I ever saw for a long time was down south of town at some guy's shop getting a tune up. In the early 70's a Montreal was verboten in the US due to smog, bumpers and who knows what else? I'd be very surprised if SWM ever sold a new one.

The SM was a very cool car, as well. The Triumphs we sold generated a LOT of warranty work, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Small world indeed. I nearly bought a 4 month old green '72 Spider w/AC from there that a "little old lady" traded back in for a Berlina, but wound up buying a 914 instead. (don't ask)
That was one of the coolest places and I hung out there for quite a while drooling over the Spider's, GTV's, Citroen SM, and my one and only view on the showroom of a Montreal. They were very nice guys, letting me into the service bays to talk to the mechanics and I was even presented a small poster on onion skin showing the development of the Alfa Romeo Marque shield. I had that stored away for decades but somehow lost it.
Great place and time....

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Senior TEXAS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
There was a Montreal at SW Motors? The first and only one I ever saw for a long time was down south of town at some guy's shop getting a tune up. In the early 70's a Montreal was verboten in the US due to smog, bumpers and who knows what else? I'd be very surprised if SWM ever sold a new one.

Yes sir, a vibrant green one.(don't know the Alfa Color)
Don't know if it was for sale or just for show but I remember a very crowded showroom that Saturday morning, and waiting for a chance to sit behind the wheel, which was magical.

Get out there and [B][SIZE="4"]DRIVE ![/SIZE][/B]

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

As I grew up in Sweden and arrived first in Jan 68 , I recall 610/i10 intersection being built....I worked at the parts dept at Memorial Motors (M-B, Volvo, Excalibur) and drove out on I10 to Brittmoore , just past new Beltway 8, at 5 oclock traffic, took a picture of the road at 5.15 from my Volvo (also a P1800) going home past Memorial City....still have that picture...there were 4 other cars on the road!
and going out Westheimer past Fondren ,there was a two lane gravel road out to Fulshear IIRC, and out by Dairy Ashford I used to go rent horses to ride on the pastures (now apartment bldgs)

SouthWest motors , was that on Westheimer or West Alabame , close to Kirby?

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Yes sir, a vibrant green one.(don't know the Alfa Color)
Don't know if it was for sale or just for show but I remember a very crowded showroom that Saturday morning, and waiting for a chance to sit behind the wheel, which was magical.
so Bill is from Houston also? Maybe when we cruise down to Corpus (I hope you got my email) we can talk more about 'old days'....

Last edited by Bjorn S; 04-16-2014 at 09:36 AM.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
. I10 was 4 lanes (2 per side) up to 610, at which point one had to drop down onto Old Katy Hwy into downtown, through the city streets, and out the Eastern side up onto Canal for the rest of the trip. I could leave our home in Bunker Hill Village at 7AM and be at work at 730, no problem.

that was still the case in early 68 when I arrived....
my dads used car mgr ,Roger Binnicker, had a jet propelled go kart in the show room , he had tried to set speed records with it on Katy Frwy (I10) one evening when they shut it down for him , but he got air borne over one overpass and they stopped the try.

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Don , told my sister about your post....here her reply:
Quote:
Boy, did I have him fooled! Tell him I haven't changed a bit, lol.

Margaret Wilson
ShadowGlen Labradors, reg.
Shadowglen Labradors

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Bjorn...

Had me fooled? Perhaps her strategy of smiling winsomely and saying little had the magical effect of making her seem both mysterious and seductively sophisticated.

Southwest Motors was on Chimney Rock when I worked there, which (if memory serves) was 73 - 74. Joe, Ned, and Hank Locario, plus a Triumph mechanic named Glen who appeared to have had polio and worked on crutches while dragging around two rubber bands for legs. Looked exactly like Berl Ives. There was also a Triumph mechanic motorcycle-crazy person named (memory again) Mike Taylor. Jean-Louis was a diminutive bat-***** nuts Frenchman who seemed to live down inside the engine bay of a DS21 most of the time. The worst of the bunch was Frank Morris, one of the partners, who was perpetually in a foul humor. Fortunately, the Locarios more than balanced him out.

I note you had two Triumphs. At one point we had to overhaul over 15% of the engines in NEWLY ARRIVED Triumphs. A few actually went "bang" just backing them off of the trailer, including both a TR6 and a Stag. Often we would find an odd number of connecting rod bolts once we got them opened up. It always broke my heart to tell the cute young girls who were trying to commute to their first job after college in a Spitfire bought for them by their daddies that the transmission parts were on back order for the 9th month (or more).

Alas, the good ol' days never were. But I miss some aspects of them anyway.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 PM

Garage
My 79 spider came new from Southwest Motors. I can't recall the name of the original owner. I'll go check and see if it is on the title.

I was wondering Don, in your time at Southwest Motors if you ever did any business with Bill Sours in Bryan?

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The name Bill Sours is vaguely familiar, but I can't tell you why. After I left SWM I ended up at BAP/Geon for over 14 years (after some more time playing guitar in musical theatre). Might have traded with him when I was based on Houston. No real recollection of him, though.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 PM

Garage
You probably did. We got parts from Southwest and also from Bob Fernald in Austin. I dealt more with Bob, still do from time to time. The store Bill and I started in Bryan was a BAP-Geon I'm pretty sure. We carried a lot of Beck Arnley and IAPCO stuff. My partnership with Bill went a little sour, no pun intended, and I lost track of him. I sold out to him and in turn he later sold the business to someone else and later on still it closed. Last I heard he was getting married and going to work for his father in law. That was in the mid-80's. Been a while.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bjorn...

Had me fooled? Perhaps her strategy of smiling winsomely and saying little had the magical effect of making her seem both mysterious and seductively sophisticated.

Southwest Motors was on Chimney Rock when I worked there, which (if memory serves) was 73 - 74. Joe, Ned, and Hank Locario, plus a Triumph mechanic named Glen who appeared to have had polio and worked on crutches while dragging around two rubber bands for legs. Looked exactly like Berl Ives. There was also a Triumph mechanic motorcycle-crazy person named (memory again) Mike Taylor. Jean-Louis was a diminutive bat-***** nuts Frenchman who seemed to live down inside the engine bay of a DS21 most of the time. The worst of the bunch was Frank Morris, one of the partners, who was perpetually in a foul humor. Fortunately, the Locarios more than balanced him out.

I note you had two Triumphs. At one point we had to overhaul over 15% of the engines in NEWLY ARRIVED Triumphs. A few actually went "bang" just backing them off of the trailer, including both a TR6 and a Stag. Often we would find an odd number of connecting rod bolts once we got them opened up. It always broke my heart to tell the cute young girls who were trying to commute to their first job after college in a Spitfire bought for them by their daddies that the transmission parts were on back order for the 9th month (or more).

Alas, the good ol' days never were. But I miss some aspects of them anyway.
Chimney Rock...ok... now I can 'see" it..

LOL, her humor is similar to mine...weird..lol
the two Triumphs were great ,resold in Houston the TR6 in laporte...Gt6 in Sugarland...the GT6 was a "hybrid"...lol...a 68 GT6 with a 75 Spitfire body behind the windshield/firewall...previous owner did that ,but could not figure out why the car looked like a ballet dancer...rear wheels tilting in so much....it was b/c GT6 body was heavier , had 8 blades in the rear suspension (transverse) I rebuilt that rear system 7 times until I got it right...trial and error...first time took me 3 hrs to get springs out ,rebuild , put back...last time 20 minutes...ended up with the right mix of 5 of the blades...car ran great but really was a GT6 "convertible"

post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Wow! I was raised in Houston but I must have been so far out of the loop. First, because it was near the end of all these great stories (born in 62), and second, because we were definitely from the wrong side of the tracks. Our cars were usually whatever my dad could find at the local used car lot. He would always buy a white car (I imagine because of the heat) and to this day, I can't make myself own a white car.

I found this website that might bring back a few memories.

Brad
'69 Series 1 GTV (105.51)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'78 Alfetta GT (Sprint Veloce)
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTree View Post
Wow! I was raised in Houston but I must have been so far out of the loop. First, because it was near the end of all these great stories (born in 62), and second, because we were definitely from the wrong side of the tracks. Our cars were usually whatever my dad could find at the local used car lot. He would always buy a white car (I imagine because of the heat) and to this day, I can't make myself own a white car.

I found this website that might bring back a few memories.
WOW yourself !...That website is my buddy Rolfs...He just moved to Panama in August after having visited there with me! I recognize ALL those pictures....
the black and white Volvo Sugga (Tp21) at the bottom of the pictures was my sons , his "going to HS car"
anyway...Rolf worked awhile for my father and for me...he also is my oldest daughters Godfather...but , about white cars...yes...whenever I buy a 'driver" they are almost always white...stay cooler , but most important ,don't show dirt much! current white car , Volvo C30...
also, I see on your profile you are a draftsman...where? Im an Architect

Last edited by Bjorn S; 04-19-2014 at 12:21 PM.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 12:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn S View Post
I see on your profile you are a draftsman...where? Im an Architect
I'm freelance. I did pipe drafting (it IS Houston after all) for 20 years on the board before moving to architectural on the computer. The practical side of me prefers the computer but the artist side prefers the board.

Brad
'69 Series 1 GTV (105.51)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'78 Alfetta GT (Sprint Veloce)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode