Removing the stupid bulb warning light - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Removing the stupid bulb warning light

Has anybody removed the bulb warning light that is so troublesome?

I just cut the bulb off my rev counters circuit board, and noticed after an otherwise successful test that one of the chips was very hot.

Now I did not test its temperature before I removed the bulb, but now wondering if I should solder a wire between the terminals that the bulb previously used as of course I've broken the circuit. Maybe that is why the chip is so hot?

Thoughts?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post

Maybe that is why the chip is so hot?

Thoughts?
Pete
The chip (there are three of them) is a known problem and fail point in the 156. They simply burn out, no idea what the root cause is HOWEVER, when they do, they end up causing a parasitic drain on the battery and leaving a telltale rear lamp very, very dimly lit.

Replacing the rev counter is the economic repair - a search on the UK AlfaOwner site will give you more info. Yes, the V6 counter is different to the 4cyl. And, I just binned one only days ago from a ‘04 156v6

I imagine you didn’t go to all this trouble to remove the idiot bulb before checking that all the lamps on the car are working?? I often found it was the second number plate lamp that went out.. hard to see given there are two.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Yes I've checked everything ten times, including both number plate lights. Sometimes I thought I had solved it, for it to burst on again with the next drive.

Such a shame you threw that rev counter out as i would have bought it.

Because my little brain thought, wrongly, that I needed to remove the gauge needle, which I was unable to ... but ended up taking the black centre part off. Under that part is a little balance weight, which I did not realise at first and could not understand why it would not go back on. I guess I've used too much force and now the axle is not dead centre so somethings touching restricting the needle's enthusiasm.

But the f'cking warning light is no longer on 🙂. In the end I dropped a bit of solder on it to complete the circuit, as though the bulb was still in there.

Re chip, I wonder if that is why my previous battery died, and I now need to drive her a minimum of once a week?

Anyway, other than a poorly designed large white electrical plug that does not want to let go, its a fairly easy job and now I know, its quite easy to pull apart. Clever in fact, how it all snaps together.

Any thoughts on fixing the rev counter? ... hot chip and now not working => buy another one ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 04-25-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:24 AM

Garage
Google 156 rev counter chip repair

There is a thread here >http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum...39108&get=last
Which details the parts etc.
You may have to sign up to see the pics

At the end of the day, it’s faster/cheaper to replace the counter
You could have had it for nix, I was holding it all this time for just this reason...

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Thanks Craig, your knowledge of these cars is very useful and appreciated.

BTW Craig, I cannot get the forum.alfa156.net site to respond. I wonder if it has closed? Are you able to access it still?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 04-25-2019 at 01:19 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
PSk

I have sourced another rev counter. Unfortunately it has the selespeed display so must have come out of a GTA.

Mix and matching of components will sort this minor issue. First thing I will do is test the replacement rev counter to see if the chip in question gets hot. If it does, I've wasted my money and will track down a replacement chip and just fix my own rev counter ... will likely be easier than working through all the second hand rev counters I can find on planet Earth
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 05-13-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode