I cannot understand why every second car is not an Alfa Romeo - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Heck I put my boot in my Busso engine all the time (once warmed up). Accidentally hit the rev limiter a few times, etc.

All Alfas have bloody strong engines, end of story. The only problem with an old second hand one is rust and the previous owner. From the 75 onwards rust is no different than any other quality car.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Heck I put my boot in my Busso engine all the time (once warmed up). Accidentally hit the rev limiter a few times, etc.

All Alfas have bloody strong engines, end of story. The only problem with an old second hand one is rust and the previous owner. From the 75 onwards rust is no different than any other quality car.
Pete
Exactly. I can't help feeling a tiny bit sorry for the guy, even though he is gullible and misinformed, because he allowed those idiots to talk him out of the absolute joy of owning a Busso engined Alfa. He should forget what they told him, go out and buy one and live the dream, like we do.

I drove our 1989 3 litre 75 project car, with its 2004 GT seats, through the hills to my brother's place today and it ran beautifully. It seems to have an exceptional engine in it because it really goes. It has only done about 170,000km. My Alfa mechanic, who has serviced it almost all of its life since new and who sold it to us, kept telling me it was always a good engine and he wasn't wrong. It took 12 months to get it back on the road after sitting in his yard for two years, but it was fun and well worth the effort. I had to replace all the hoses, get the injectors reconditioned, sort the ignition, rebuild the brakes and other stuff that suffered from sitting around, but it ticks over like a clock now. We don't push it hard through corners yet because it needs decent wheels and tyres, the caster arm ball joint conversion and a wheel alignment, but it feels great on the road. We scored an almost new set of Koni yellows from a friend's ex race car that ride beautifully. In my experience Koni yellows are ideal on 75s. This one is the fourth 3 litre 75 I have owned and my son still has my first, (the one in my avatar), though it has been off the road for over a year with a worn out clutch plate. We have another clutch and flywheel assembly to put in it one day, thanks to another good friend.

All the best wishes for your son and family Pete.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), son’s girlfiend’s car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (son’s new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #78 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
Exactly. I can't help feeling a tiny bit sorry for the guy, even though he is gullible and misinformed, because he allowed those idiots to talk him out of the absolute joy of owning a Busso engined Alfa. He should forget what they told him, go out and buy one and live the dream, like we do.

I drove our 1989 3 litre 75 project car, with its 2004 GT seats, through the hills to my brother's place today and it ran beautifully. It seems to have an exceptional engine in it because it really goes. It has only done about 170,000km. My Alfa mechanic, who has serviced it almost all of its life since new and who sold it to us, kept telling me it was always a good engine and he wasn't wrong. It took 12 months to get it back on the road after sitting in his yard for two years, but it was fun and well worth the effort. I had to replace all the hoses, get the injectors reconditioned, sort the ignition, rebuild the brakes and other stuff that suffered from sitting around, but it ticks over like a clock now. We don't push it hard through corners yet because it needs decent wheels and tyres, the caster arm ball joint conversion and a wheel alignment, but it feels great on the road. We scored an almost new set of Koni yellows from a friend's ex race car that ride beautifully. In my experience Koni yellows are ideal on 75s. This one is the fourth 3 litre 75 I have owned and my son still has my first, (the one in my avatar), though it has been off the road for over a year with a worn out clutch plate. We have another clutch and flywheel assembly to put in it one day, thanks to another good friend.

All the best wishes for your son and family Pete.
Thank you.

The biggest issue I have with driving Alfas is I get too excited and next minute I'm getting complaints from my wife, re G forces ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Thank you.

The biggest issue I have with driving Alfas is I get too excited and next minute I'm getting complaints from my wife, re G forces ...
Pete
Mine will put up with it on club cruises occasionally because she loves driving Alfas and knows how they affect you. She loves her 159 to bits. I corner faster on my own though.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), son’s girlfiend’s car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (son’s new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #80 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Unfortunately I've had to make another trip to Auckland and back ... yes my son has had to return to hospital as he was getting hostile and delusional again .

It appears that I have a rear wheel bearing on the early stages of wearing itself out. Everything I've read on the net reads as though I have to purchase a new hub and bearing assembly, and I cannot just press/bang new bearings into my existing hub. Is this correct?

Otherwise she is just fine, maybe the air conditioning could do with a service but its okay. I'll keep running her until the bearing noise is excessive as money does not grow on trees down here at the moment
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #81 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 03:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Do you know eper FIAT ePER
According to that you need a new hub.
NB! Prices are from mid 2000s.
post #82 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 08:10 PM

Pete, from an engineering perspective it would seem unlikely that a bearing is a one way placement within a housing - if it is pressed in it can be got out again but there appears to be quite a few 156`s being dismantled and although you would have to do your research regarding whether there is any difference between the V6 and the 2 litre TS parts a second hand item may well be a cheap easy solution enabling you to stretch those dollars.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #83 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz View Post
Pete, from an engineering perspective it would seem unlikely that a bearing is a one way placement within a housing - if it is pressed in it can be got out again but there appears to be quite a few 156`s being dismantled and although you would have to do your research regarding whether there is any difference between the V6 and the 2 litre TS parts a second hand item may well be a cheap easy solution enabling you to stretch those dollars.
Good idea, and at least then I'll have a spare one that I can experiment with
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #84 of 289 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Okay I no longer think it is a rear wheel bearing that I am hearing. I jacked up each wheel and spun the wheel with my fingers on the spring or bottom of the strut and as smooth as silk, both sides.

So what is the best way to check the front wheel bearings please?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #85 of 289 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:45 AM

Best is what you probably have already done - jack up the wheel, spin it first to check smoothness and noise then grab wheel at 12 and six o clock positions and see if there is any movement.

Richard J
post #86 of 289 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
You can hoist the front of the car so the wheels are of the ground and spin them by starting the engine select a gear (4th or 5 th) and spin them. Turn of the engine and select neutral and listen.
There are several bearing on the drive shafts. It can also be a bearing in the gearbox.
See here FIAT ePER
post #87 of 289 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Best is what you probably have already done - jack up the wheel, spin it first to check smoothness and noise then grab wheel at 12 and six o clock positions and see if there is any movement.
Yeah there is no movement.

Starting to think that it might be gearbox, but we will calmly work our way to the cause. My father and I are both sure there is a bearing that is not happy somewhere although we were fairly sure it was a the left rear ... was just about to order the wheel bearings when I thought I better check. And no cannot feel anything at all.

Will do the test that Erik suggests after I return from another trip to Auckland. Will be due for an engine service then.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #88 of 289 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:29 PM

Noise carries unfortunately and can be difficult by just listening to identify where it is actually coming from, although in theory with a front wheel drive car it should be easier. Thats why the lift the wheels off the ground method and check for smoothness and excess movement ultimately is best. There is a support bearing for the rh driveshaft which could be the culprit as it is exposed more than the other bearings in the drive chain and instinct suggests this as maybe the culprit. Regarding gearbox bearing noise best thing to do is change the oil first. Acquire some Amsoil gear oil (available here in New Zealand) and fill the transaxle. I have tried everything else except Redline (not available in NZ) and NOTHING works as well. When I had my workshop it fixed cars I would not have thought possible - local car dealers loved it. It quietened a slight bearing noise in our own Lancia Flavia transaxle, and a very very noisy and almost no second gear synchromesh gearbox in our GT Junior. The Junior gearbox was exceptionally bad and the Amsoil synthetic was put in as an experiment with low expectations so it is worth a try.
I routinely put it in all our cars (12) and without exception the gearboxes are quieter, the synchromesh (if fitted) works perfectly and of course you have superior protection.

Richard J
post #89 of 289 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Noise carries unfortunately and can be difficult by just listening to identify where it is actually coming from, although in theory with a front wheel drive car it should be easier. Thats why the lift the wheels off the ground method and check for smoothness and excess movement ultimately is best. There is a support bearing for the rh driveshaft which could be the culprit as it is exposed more than the other bearings in the drive chain and instinct suggests this as maybe the culprit. Regarding gearbox bearing noise best thing to do is change the oil first. Acquire some Amsoil gear oil (available here in New Zealand) and fill the transaxle. I have tried everything else except Redline (not available in NZ) and NOTHING works as well. When I had my workshop it fixed cars I would not have thought possible - local car dealers loved it. It quietened a slight bearing noise in our own Lancia Flavia transaxle, and a very very noisy and almost no second gear synchromesh gearbox in our GT Junior. The Junior gearbox was exceptionally bad and the Amsoil synthetic was put in as an experiment with low expectations so it is worth a try.
I routinely put it in all our cars (12) and without exception the gearboxes are quieter, the synchromesh (if fitted) works perfectly and of course you have superior protection.
Brings back memories. We used amsoil in our transaxle gearboxes for years. Not only improved them but made the synchro actually last.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #90 of 289 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:02 PM

Garage
It may not be a wheel bearing, the noise could well be coming from a drive shaft inner cv joint, they make a similar noise to a bad bearing when they start to go, this usually starts to happen if the cv boot tears and isn't replaced straight away, I recently experienced inner cv driveshaft and front bearing issues on my 3.2 GT, I thought the left bearing was gone but my mechanic showed me a trick how to pick which one it is, get the wheels of the ground and while spinning the wheel put an ear on the guard on top of the wheel, it turned out to be the RHS bearing.

72 2L GT Junior 73 2000 Spider. 2004 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode