I cannot understand why every second car is not an Alfa Romeo - Page 18 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #256 of 289 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:05 PM

I’ve been told by different mechanics and parts guys that German Lemforder control arms are the best and last longer. They are more expensive, but probably worth it in the long run. I have poly bushes on the GT ARB and they are fine.

You certainly have to keep away from the Chinese control arms. I found a Chinese company online that makes them. They will sell you 100 for a Honda, for $1.10 each! They will also supply boxes with any manufacturers label you want, complete with barcodes and part numbers.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 289 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Why can't I just buy the bushes? Not the Latvia ones but genuine?

I understand the labor comments but if I spent $500 on the 156, my wife would be unimpressed.

I'll get a quite on poly ... hate giving the massively inferior product my money though
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 07-29-2019 at 12:32 AM.
post #258 of 289 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Why can't I just buy the bushes? Not the Latvia ones but genuine?

I understand the labor comments but if I spent $500 on the 156, my wife would be unimpressed.

I'll get a quite on poly ... hate giving the massively inferior product my money though
Pete
I dunno Pete... can you buy just the OE bushes?
I donít think they actually sell them

Just poly (for the top)

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #259 of 289 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:18 AM

Pete, on Ebay.UK there are a number of the big British and Euro parts wholesalers advertising suspension kits, some including rack ends for quite cheap prices. Many of these are from Euro manufacturers.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #260 of 289 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:03 AM

And there are the suppliers who will sell these product. I am not saying the parts are inferior!

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...nlMh_kvGGBasM:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...379518064.html

These lower ball joint fit Alfetta GT GTV GTV6 MILANO/75/90

Glen 3.0 GTV6 2.0 156 JTS
EX 1.2 Alfasud. 1.8 and 2.0 Alfetta's 2.5 Alfa75

Last edited by sportiva; 07-30-2019 at 01:20 AM.
post #261 of 289 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Gee I'm really touched by all the responses.

I've just made an offer of $100 for 2 brand new top wishbones (both sides) on Gumtree ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #262 of 289 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:37 PM

I think most of us can relate to the need to stretch the dollar, and having owned a workshop I`m used to hunting down cheaper suppliers without compromising quality, or sourcing common parts from a brand which does not command premium prices. Remember also as the car ages parts suppliers often want to dump parts on shelves and replace their stock with parts relevant to a later model where the margin is still high - every sq centimetre has cost remember, so old stock is normally got rid of when your business is in supplying quick moving parts for later more common cars Our 156`s are no longer common on the roads so demand would have dropped significantly.
Thank heaven for the internet.

Richard J
post #263 of 289 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Welll I'm a bit pissed with my 156v6, its failed a warrant, but not for the expected left front suspension play, but f'ing right rear tyre has worn down to the cords on the inside. The out side of the tyre is like brand new (probably an exaggeration) and yes I have been rotating them very 5000 kms.

I checked my notes and that is only just over 30k kms. Not good enough, especially as I don't corner hard.

The car's alignment is to specs, as I've had that checked ... but I've immediately taken as much toe-in as I can out of thd rear wheels.

Does anybody know how to take negative camber out of the front and rear?

Hmmm ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #264 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Okay, the sheer volume of internet discussions on the amount of camber these cars run and premature tire wear highlights this is a known issue.

I've also found offset bushes, for front top inner, for racing 156s, but if you installed them the "wrong" way around you would reduce the negative camber, but I've also gound a YouTube video of offset bolts somebody made ... good idea.

The rear camber is not adjustable, but you can adjust toe in. I've had a look and I believe the hub bolts on to the strut, so I could move the top hole (done this for a Toyota Tarago to increase camber) but I also could make an offset bolt, like what is used for toe in setting, to make the camber adjustable.

I think modifications are required because I'm not keen on replacing tires so often, and in the end this is the result of Alfa Romeo trying to make the fwd chassis handle. I don't mind the 156v6 being fwd, but this tire issue has highlighted that it was a mistake.

I need to do front top inner bushes so while there see if I can tone down the camber, and the same for the rear, after ensuring all bushes are in good order. A fun little engineering exercise!

Will I lose the sharpness of the handling? Maybe, but I'm 51 now and my 18 year old self would say I drive this car like a ***** ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 09-01-2019 at 01:41 AM.
post #265 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
PSk

A quick internet search shows there are many offset bolts available so should be able to purchase something that will work. Weld a couple of pieces of metal on to the struts, for the top bolt, so the offset bolt washers have something to act against and rear sorted. Piece of cake

And the good thing about doing this modification this way, is a future owner can always return the alignment to factory specs, if they want to wear their tyres out quickly or do some race track work
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #266 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:13 PM

Garage
Are you sure the dodgy camber isn’t a result of previous accident damage, or a failed/rusty rear strut/spring mount?

I only ask as I don’t think you mention that the wear is equal on both sides?

The rear strut/spring bases are notorious for rusting out, as are the upper mounts. The rear control arms (transverse and longitudinal) are made of chocolate also....

I miss my 156 Sportwagon, it’d be an absolute hoot with the GQV 1750tbi engine

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #267 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Good question, but both rear tyres have similar wear, the right just got there first. I did notice they were getting thin on the inner edge but didn't notice that one had peeled the tread off. Must have happened very recently.

Car has had a thorough 4 wheel wheel alignment when I had my first tyre issue and in specs, on all corners.

I have noticed that some reviews of the Chinese tyres (Hifly Hf805, 215/45r17) I'm using complain of quick wear. I wonder, as others don't state this issue, if it relates to camber setting. Some tyres handle camber better than others ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 09-01-2019 at 05:43 PM.
post #268 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
PSk

I will check all components are good while I'm in there.

It is possible that she is running more front camber due to top inner bush wear, as I know the left front is knocking, and these tyres were on the front only max 2k ago.

So yeah she needs a bit of love to get her bsck to perfect ... but while there I will make her adjustable.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #269 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Note she is not used as a daily driver. To the gym and back though (but that is not often ), but that is a mainly straight trip.

So 99% of her mileage is going to Hamilton or Auckland. Open road stuff
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 09-01-2019 at 06:08 PM.
post #270 of 289 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Pete, I suspect it might be a combination of worn bushes and so so tyres. i`ve had my twinspark for a while now and no high wear on any tyre - but perfect bushes and tyre pressures always correct (I run 37.5 psi all round) The V6 has fairly new tyres and I`ve been using her a bit lately and no signs of wear so far despite driven hard through bends but again she has been fitted with good quality tyres. Tyres are so important, they are your only contact with the road so tempting that it is I would never contemplate scrimping. It`s the old adage that you usually get what you pay for.

Richard J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode