I cannot understand why every second car is not an Alfa Romeo - Page 16 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 291 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
As you can see in the photo of the bottle holder, my ashtray does not close properly because the operation of it (by design) confuses people and they have tried to pull it open instead of pushing it in to make it open itself. Alfa should have put a push label on it ...

Anyway it has finally been broken properly and now hangs fully open. Yes my family members also could not work out it's operation ...

So I've worked out a nice and simple way to fix it since pulling it apart has shown that some plastic gear teeth have been stripped. I have removed the little opener/closer device and I just need to purchase a spring sized like the original opener helper but one that works in reverse so the ashtray is held closed by this replacement spring. That will work nicely and if we ever need to open it we will be able to and then it will spring closed

So now I just need to locate this spring ... hardware store?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 291 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
PSk

I have fixed the ashtray not closing by bending the longer end of the helper spring into a square shaped hook and it now works backwards. The hook end neatly grabs on where the removable ash bin slides in.

I also removed the ash bin lid because it's spring fort against the main lid closing.

Now the ashtray springs closed and finally looks good when installed.

To open it you just push downwards on the lid face
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 09-24-2018 at 11:20 AM.
post #228 of 291 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Its not about how much power but how it is delivered

So had a great visit by one of my step sons and took him for a couple of trips in the 156v6 ... almost every time we accelerated by through the wonderful torque surge he could not help but admit a little laugh. A knowing "heck this is fun" laugh.

He's not a car guy but the first time we drove on to a motorway he said "this things got some stick"

I love this engine, and I love how it feels like it is having fun and how the torque builds, and how it feels like you are accelerating harder the faster you go ... like the car is saying "Oh you are serious this time ... lets go then"

There are hundreds more powerful, better in all specifications engines ... but few many make driving so inviting!
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #229 of 291 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 05:52 PM

I totally agree Pete. The way they pull hard from low revs and then just keep on pulling up to the red line is unique in my long automotive experience. American V8 engines have low down torque which runs out at revs and many Japanese ones don’t do anything until they are revviing hard. Few have the low down power, flat torque curve and the fast, high revving ability of a 24 valve Busso. My 3.2 GT is capable of starting from a standstill in second gear and winding out to 7,000 rpm smoothly in no time. It is interesting the difference between that and the 1750 TBI 159 we now have. Despite having 320 nm of torque at 1,400 rpm, it doesn’t pull away at low revs in second quite as smoothly. I guess the extra two cylinders and 50 bhp help. It is a wonderful engine though and heaps of fun to drive. It feels like the real Alfa engine it is. My wife says it needs more exhaust sound though.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #230 of 291 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
PSk

My cars pulling power is not linear.

It will pull from walking pace in 4th or higher gear and then as it works up the rev range it pulls harder until you are getting pushed back in the seat (especially if in 3rd ) and it keeps pushing until you hit the rev limiter. Somewhere in the rev range the push/pull does reduce it's intensity a little, or I've got used to it and braced, but it's does not drop off suddenly.

I love that it is so flexible but I also love how it gets stronger as the revs rise (around 3k ?), and I love how its keen to rev until I feel guilty 😄
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 09-24-2018 at 08:41 PM.
post #231 of 291 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 03:44 AM

Pete

Concur with the earlier comments about the Busso in its 156 incarnation - the way it delivers over the rev range is hard to beat.

Also, you might recall I queried your airconditioning failure.

With Queensland summer approaching, I had a mechanic fix look at it. Fault was attributed to a breakdown in the circuit from the fuse/relay box to the A/C compressor. He ran another wire to the compressor - reckoned that he would have spent far too much time tracing a break in the original wire through the harness.

Nice and cool now.

Berlina (1972), 156 v6 manual (last of the Bussos!), Guiletta (1982, transaxle, driven by my son), Polski-Fiat 126, Suzuki Swift GTi, Locost motorkhana special,
post #232 of 291 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlinabrisbane View Post
Pete

Concur with the earlier comments about the Busso in its 156 incarnation - the way it delivers over the rev range is hard to beat.

With Queensland summer approaching, I had a mechanic fix look at it. Fault was attributed to a breakdown in the circuit from the fuse/relay box to the A/C compressor. He ran another wire to the compressor - reckoned that he would have spent far too much time tracing a break in the original wire through the harness.

Nice and cool now.
Interesting. My aircon does work but not good enough for my impatient family, if you park it in the sun. Yes I need to book it in ...

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #233 of 291 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlinabrisbane View Post
Pete

Nice and cool now.
Have a chat with Bazz.. apparently the aircon compressor clutch circuit is shared with the cigarette lighter and fuse, or something as equally bizarre)

I miss my 156

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #234 of 291 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
PSk

So guys how do I test that the aircon compressor is running when it should be please?

We had a great boys run in it yesterday joining many other old enthusiasts doing a garage run and the aircon took a very long time before the car cooled to a comfortable level. Surely can do better?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #235 of 291 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:47 PM

Pete, on our series 1 156`s the a/c comes on automatically (look at the temp selector knob on the extreme left). There is the a/c compressor switch at the bottom of the knob with a green led which comes on when the ignition switch is on and can be turned off if not wanted. My theory is this was configured this way to ensure the compressor and system was used constantly albeit briefly to maintain seals etc and reduce the chances of gas loss because we all know the worse thing you can do with any refrigeration system is not use it.
My suggestion is check the clutch in the compressor by grabbing hold of the compressor pulley front and turn it before turning the car on. Next turn the ignition on and try again to turn the compressor pulley front - it should be locked up. Get someone to start the car up with the a/c on and observe the pulley of the compressor which should click on and off over say quarter of an hour once pressure switch operates. Look at the compressor pulley and check that it locks up immediately and does not slip on engagement. I have been unable to obtain a new clutch and bearing unit for my own compressor (Sanden) despite scouring the net and ended up replacing the complete compressor with a Behr brand compressor which looked exactly the same and was recommended.
If the compressor is cycling (not too frequently though) it would appear everything is ok and the system may simply require more 134A gas but you can only tell this through a pressure test which usually requires a visit to an A/C workshop. you can though buy through TradeMe cans of 134A to top up - these come with a pressure gauge if you need it.
PSk likes this.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #236 of 291 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Guess which car was the backup for the Toyota Vitz when it broke down (er, flat left rear tyre) ... had to jump in the 156v6 to meet my sister in time, and meet the family in Hamilton for an important day, for us.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #237 of 291 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:29 PM

You can hardly blame the Toyota for a flat tyre but great to have a dependable Alfa as reliable backup.
I made the mistake of not replacing the water pump when I did the timing belt 400km`s ago so waiting for the new water pump to arrive from EB Spares. Lesson learnt - don`t be so cheap next time - I replaced absolutely everything else though including a/c compressor. There was absolutely no noise or leak from the water pump so I took the gamble - cars only done 133 000km- not as long service life for the components as our older Alfas are they.
EB Spares are good for 156 parts but I bought at the same time brake overhaul parts for my 2 litre 105 from Classic Alfa and not only do they provide track and trace but through DHL arrive within 3-5 days whereas I`m still waiting for the 156 waterpump.
This happened last time too when I used the two companies on the same day - the EB Spares 156 timing belt etc arrived a couple of weeks after.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #238 of 291 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
PSk

This post will sound like I am being cheap, but I also believe in the "if it aren't broke don't fix it" theory ...

So finally got around to a scheduled service, and thanks to the Vitz the 156 has reduced to 10,000 km's per year and will probably be even lower from now on. So decided to chuck her up on 4 jack stands and take my time and at least look at every thing just to make sure there was nothing odd going on, while rotating the tyres, changing the oil and filter.

Somebody has previously cut the front brake pad wear indicators but strangely in different places on each side, so removed the wiring from the left caliper as it was doing nothing (just adding to my unsprung weight ). The pads in there had the wire so I guess it was giving trouble with false warnings ... ? ... anyway a completely unnecessary warning IMO, so now properly removed.

Now I had planned to refresh the seals, etc. in the power steering pump as it's dirty but it currently does not use oil, so suspect it might be getting dirty from elsewhere, like maybe a minor cam cover leak, so I did the cheap alternative and cleaned it instead and now will keep an eye on it. I also cleaned the front of the cylinder head and cam cover as much as practical as it was dirty too. She has now done ~158,000 km's so to be expected but otherwise a pretty clean engine, and now cleaner.

While the undertray is off I will do the air conditioning compressor clutch test thanks to AlfaVirusNZ's instructions, but I could not start her yesterday because strangely the battery was flat. Now I have not driven her for maybe a month, but I've just noticed that overnight the charger has not reached fully charged status so maybe the battery has given up the ghost. Will find out soon. While I am a tight arse in many ways, I don't stuff around with car batteries and any more issues in this area and a brand new one will be immediately purchased ... I spent way too many of my childhood years push starting my fathers shop vehicles, lol.

Not much else to say other than I think a drive today is in order, and maybe a wash . As you can probably tell by this post that I pretty much just pottered around on the 156 taking my time, under no time pressure ... even cleaned the inside of the wheels (***!). Far more enjoyable than last time when we had somewhere to be ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 11-10-2018 at 10:45 AM.
post #239 of 291 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz View Post
Pete, on our series 1 156`s the a/c comes on automatically (look at the temp selector knob on the extreme left). There is the a/c compressor switch at the bottom of the knob with a green led which comes on when the ignition switch is on and can be turned off if not wanted
So when I pushed this green led button so "on" there was a loud click and the centre of the compressor pulley now spins.
Quote:
My suggestion is check the clutch in the compressor by grabbing hold of the compressor pulley front and turn it before turning the car on.
Yes I can turn the centre of the compressor pulley easily.
Quote:
Next turn the ignition on and try again to turn the compressor pulley front - it should be locked up.
Hmmm, this locking up does not happen, even with the green led "on" ... maybe the pulley needs to be turning before it will lock up? Or we have found the fault?
Quote:
Get someone to start the car up with the a/c on and observe the pulley of the compressor which should click on and off over say quarter of an hour once pressure switch operates.
I have not run it that long, but with the engine running and the green led "on" the centre of the compressor is also spinning so the compressor has engaged. The temperature setting is on the lowest so maybe the compressor won't click off until that temperature is reached.

I've always thought that I needed to set the temperature lower, or on the low side, before comfort is reached. I guess if the aircon is not working properly this makes sense, and it is unlikely to be a temperature sensor issue.

Hopefully alfavirusnz you will pop in and give your thoughts ... no rush though
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #240 of 291 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
PSk

I have an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz
Next turn the ignition on and try again to turn the compressor pulley front - it should be locked up.
Hmmm, this locking up does not happen, even with the green led "on" ... maybe the pulley needs to be turning before it will lock up? Or we have found the fault?
On my car there is no power to the compressor clutch until the engine is running, so that answers that

Now I have to work out how to get at the air cleaner ... yes I have as yet never replaced it
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode