I cannot understand why every second car is not an Alfa Romeo - Page 15 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 289 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Check the power steering pipes and cooler, they're known leak points after the rad (or lower subframe) has been out.
Thanks, will do.

I already have a slightly leaky power steering pump. I did think of resealing it while everything was apart, but I didn't want to end up restoring the 156v6
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 289 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Does anybody know where the individual components of the air con are?

I know where the condenser (radiator) is and the compressor are located but where do the following live:
1. Accumulator (receiver?)
2. TX (expansion?) valve

My wife and daughter moaned about the ability of the air con system yesterday so I'm thinking it's time for it to be serviced. I can't do this but if the dash or front of the car has to come out/off I'd prefer to do that myself thanks

Previous cars I've had the air con serviced on required the TX valve to be replaced as often the cause of a leak, and the accumulators (receivers) I believe don't last forever. And gee for that car the air con was brilliant afterwards!

Thanks
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 03-11-2018 at 04:26 PM.
post #213 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Okay I remembered that I have an electronic service manual and have located the accumulator/receiver/drier and it is in front of the right front wheel, apparently. I've also spoken to a local shop about getting her regassed and checked for leaks. From my understanding of aircon systems, and I'm still learning, the accumulator/receiver/drier should just be replaced as it will be fill of water by now with the car being 17 years old.

So one day I will take a day off work and take her to this shop to get a new accumulator/receiver/drier installed. Surely they will be able to install a generic one, and then regassed and checked for leaks. Before I take it there, I will remove the front bumper, grill, inner wheel arches and of course the under tray. The place is only a couple of kilometres from home, but no point paying for them to remove this stuff when I can do it with more care and for free. Plus without these removed they really cannot properly check for leaks.

But I want to also post a Alfisti public warning message

Yesterday we took her for a nice run to Matamata for lunch, and a bit of op shopping, meet up with parents thing. On the way home I was being followed by a lowered Holden Commodore and after going through an intersection more carefully and slower than I needed I thought time for some fun so I dropped her down into third and gave her the beans and soon, for a very short time, we experienced the lovely Busso swell of torque and were rocketing along. I quickly backed off and thought to myself, that has shown the Commodore how it is done

I looked in my mirror and the Commodore was fast approaching, in fact very fast and he (assumed) did not lift until the front of his car had disappeared in my rear view mirror, as he braked heavily. Next milli-second he pulled out and rocketed past but this was done through a corner with probably no visibility of any oncoming traffic.

Now all turned out okay but if the timing had been bad (a few seconds later a car came the other way), or if he had not just missed the rear of the 156 or miss judged my adjusted speed due to the fact that I had lifted off and returned to cruising, things could have turned out ugly because I had wound him up and I did not know of course their driving abilities and how they were going to respond. A silly moment of driving by me. I had put my wife and son at risk and lost control of the situation and given it all to this other driver that I did not know at all.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:17 PM

Commodore drivers don’t like it when they are suddenly left in the dust by an Alfa. They think their cars are all conquering until they come up against something that handles. They often go blasting past after you slow down in my experience. What that proves in their mind I don’t know. I had a guy in a Commodore try to emulate my flicking the GT round the roundabout at the bottom of our street and I saw the look on his face in the rear view mirror when he realised his car wasn’t up to it. It was priceless.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #215 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Currently doing 7 days of work a week as we are releasing to production, so I thought bugger it I'll take the 156v6 today ... blew any cobwebs well and truly out with a new top speed for me in this wonderful car. Hehe ... felt very slow after that short burst 😁
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #216 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
PSk

So I removed the 2.5 badge from the rear of the car ages ago because it did not line up with the v6 24v badges and this annoyed me. Last weekend my son and I took my father on a vintage car run, to check on projects in members sheds, and I was instructed to bring the 156v6. He normally takes his MGB but the 3 of us would not have fitted ... anyway much to my surprise I ended up having a chat with this chap about my 156 and how he's always admired them and what size is it ... so yeah time to put the 2.5 badge back on

So what do I stick it on with please?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #217 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 03:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Some tape with glue on both sides. With a sharpe knife form the tape after the 2,5L V6 and what ever is on the back of the luggage lid.
It a bit pasion job.
post #218 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 02:57 PM

I`ve used a touch of clear RTV to put the K back on the back of the mighty Twin Spark.
By the way took a V6 156 for a drive the other day and despite the fantastic sound compared to the TS was disappointed in the difference in performance plus much heavier in the front end in comparison making it less responsive and unwieldy in feel. This is the 2nd V6 manual I`ve tried (plus the auto Q). Think the GTA might be the one to try ( but I don`t like the body modifications) so for me personally I think I`ll stay with the 2 litre, besides I do all maintainence and access definitely is easier in the 4 cyl.
156`s though are pretty good cars and in my opinion one of the best looking of the "modern" cars from any manufacturer.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #219 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz View Post
I`ve used a touch of clear RTV to put the K back on the back of the mighty Twin Spark.
By the way took a V6 156 for a drive the other day and despite the fantastic sound compared to the TS was disappointed in the difference in performance plus much heavier in the front end in comparison making it less responsive and unwieldy in feel. This is the 2nd V6 manual I`ve tried (plus the auto Q).
I'll make sure I never drive a 4 cylinder then , but I admit I don't push my 156v6 very hard. I'm 50 now and cruising is becoming my thing more and more. I still do like to find the lines but I know that I am way below the cars and even my own limits.
Quote:
Think the GTA might be the one to try ( but I don`t like the body modifications)
Yes I agree with you. Obviously I'd love to own a GTA but the single divider front is a styling fail. I doubt I'll own a different 156 than my current one. Now that we have the Toyota Vitz she (the 156v6) is a luxury and more and more we use the Vitz for weekend chores. It is actually quite a good little car and so cheap to run.
Quote:
... so for me personally I think I`ll stay with the 2 litre, besides I do all maintainence and access definitely is easier in the 4 cyl.
Yes while I enjoy looking at the v6 engine, I do feel a little nervous to the thought of working on her. Even changing the oil filter is a pain, and Alfa Romeo could have made this easier by just a little extra design effort in the shape and mounting of the power steering pipes. I've not experienced this VW sort of pointlessly annoying engineering on an Alfa Romeo before. Sure you have to remove a lot of things compared to a Toyota to do simple tasks, but usually there is a reason. In the power steering pipes case, it was either cost cutting or just plain oversight, or like VW Golf Mk4s (possibly the worst car I have ever worked on), we don't give a **** about people working on our cars attitude.
Quote:
156`s though are pretty good cars and in my opinion one of the best looking of the "modern" cars from any manufacturer.
A visiting friend found it hard to believe she was 17 years old from a styling point of view.

I will be able to weld properly again very soon, so will make bottle holders that attach to the front of the front seats, then she will be perfect.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 05-26-2018 at 04:01 PM.
post #220 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:37 PM

Pete, I`m 64 but when I drive the 156 which gets used very little,as it`s our luxury "modern" car I drive it reasonably hard when its safe to do so and the difference in grunt is not great but the agility etc is better. We have a Fiat Punto 1.3 turbo diesel for every day use and being a tight arse the fuel consumption makes even the Alfa seem like a large capacity V8 so the Punto is the first port of call. Both Alfa and Fiat though are a bit boring compared to the other older cars we have (old Alfas, old Lancias, old Ferrari , Fiat 500 & 126 and even our DS21 Citroen, that`s why I was fleetingly looking at V6 156`s again to get some magic back in our "moderns" but I`m happy with what I`ve got. Modern cars are brilliant at many things and so convenient but ultimately even cars with "character"are now diluted. Can`t see myself buying new when I retire in 4 months.

Richard J
post #221 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:54 PM

I meant to say too that we have had people come up to us and commented about the car - ours is silver with red leather interior - and commented what a smart looking car it is. Ours is a year 2000 NZ new car and they find it incredible to believe it is that old. Credit to Centro Stile for creating such a nice looking car.
PSk and oz3litre like this.

Richard J
post #222 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:00 PM

I purchased my Milano Verde at the end of 1988 and also purchased a Milano Silver a few years later. I think that both cars were good at the time and have waited 30 years for a new Alfa. The new Giulia QV is what I have hoped for this past 30 years. I have a hard time believing that Alfa did not sell cars in the US for twenty years and started with the 4C as an introduction.
post #223 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz View Post
By the way took a V6 156 for a drive the other day and despite the fantastic sound compared to the TS was disappointed in the difference in performance plus much heavier in the front end in comparison making it less responsive and unwieldy in feel. This is the 2nd V6 manual I`ve tried (plus the auto Q). Think the GTA might be the one to try ( but I don`t like the body modifications) so for me personally I think I`ll stay with the 2 litre, besides I do all maintainence and access definitely is easier in the 4 cyl.
The GT 3.2 V6 is the way to go I reckon. Itís just as fast and powerful as the GTA, but classier. It not as boy racer as the 156 GTA and is practical as well with the fold down seats and large boot. Mine has KW coil overs, strut brace and Quaife lsd so it handles superbly. 156s are still great looking cars and a lot of fun to drive though. My daughter and sonís girlfriend have identical year 2000 TS 156s and love them. The TS engines are delightful. We just got back from a wonderful club run through the Adelaide hills to the Barossa Valley and back in the GT. It was an economy run though so I couldnít fang it through the gorges.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #224 of 289 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:43 AM

Pete

Did you ever find out what was wrong with the air conditioning, or have I missed the answer in a previous post?

Mine is not working now - I had a new compressor 2 years ago, so its probably not that.

By the way, absolutely agree with what you say about the 156 v6. Mine is just great in every way.

Thanks

Berlina (1972), 156 v6 manual (last of the Bussos!), Guiletta (1982, transaxle, driven by my son), Polski-Fiat 126, Suzuki Swift GTi, Locost motorkhana special,

Last edited by Berlinabrisbane; 06-06-2018 at 03:44 AM. Reason: typo
post #225 of 289 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlinabrisbane View Post
Pete

Did you ever find out what was wrong with the air conditioning, or have I missed the answer in a previous post?

Mine is not working now - I had a new compressor 2 years ago, so its probably not that.

By the way, absolutely agree with what you say about the 156 v6. Mine is just great in every way.

Thanks
Er, I've forgotten about it to be honest. Now that we have the Vitz for the mundane running around it is not such an issue, plus it is winter here in NZ ... I did ring an air conditioning shop and got the usual, but we are all stuck between a rock and a hard place because you need a license to work on aircon and the equipment. Based on it's age it will need a new drier at least. I will take it in one day as a better car when the aircon works properly (btw it does appear to work, just not as good as the family would like).

But the car is now closer to perfect, and yes I need to paint this black but I've not got any handy ... the prototype drink holder (and no 156 was harmed in this process ):
Pete
Attached Images

kens likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 06-12-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode