I cannot understand why every second car is not an Alfa Romeo - Page 13 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 291 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
A couple of things ...

1. Yesterday I was about to get into the 156 and a bloke stopped his van, left it running, and we had a 5 minute chat about the car. He used to own a 2003 selespeed and had never poked around a v6 before. So opened the bonnet, etc.

While the bonnet was open a work colleague asked if all was okay ... embarrassing ... lol

2. This morning the project manager saw me parking the 156 and asked me how it was and said he always wanted to own an Alfa ... moto of this was story is, don't live wanting, but buy one!

Going to click over 150k very soon. Getting used almost every day now
Pete
oz3litre likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 291 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Hi Pete
Wheel suspension and rubber bushes are more likely to require a check and four wheel tracking.
Worn shock absorber gives more rocky bodywork and it takes longer time before the body is stable after a patch of bumpy road.
Erik
post #183 of 291 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Another 156 is parking, at work, near mine recently. A silver 4 cylinder one ...

I said hello to the owner this morning as blankets were being stuffed in the already over loaded rear seat area. Potentially owned by, or helping, some people doing it tough here in Rotorua.

I hope she continued to be dependable for them

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 291 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
PSk

F*CK!

Just rotated the tyres again (@5000 km's as we are mid way between service) and the left rear has canvas appearing through, on the inside edge, so another couple of tyres are required. ****, ****, **** ... hopefully I can get the same type and deal I got with the last pair of tyres we bought for her.

Bloody expensive driving 140km's every day to work and back. Fuel is bad enough but the wear and tear does worry me. She's up to 152,000 km's now, so cannot complain with the pair of tyres that need replacing as they were on the car when I bought her.

Oh and yeah it does pay to do this tyre rotate, otherwise I might not have noticed this because she does wear the inside faster than the outside edge ... but the rears (now the fronts) are very, very close to the wear indicators ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #185 of 291 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Just after I graduated, my DD was a 1954 MGTF, 1250. Could not afford new tires and the worn-smooth tires offered little traction on the wet roads on Vancouver Island.

When the wear got down to the fabric, wet traction improved.

PSk likes this.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #186 of 291 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle View Post
Just after I graduated, my DD was a 1954 MGTF, 1250. Could not afford new tires and the worn-smooth tires offered little traction on the wet roads on Vancouver Island.

When the wear got down to the fabric, wet traction improved.

I bet the traction on snow also improved
post #187 of 291 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:47 AM
Gold Subscriber

Haw
But I also had had a Healey BN2 and my sister had a Triumph TR 3. Considerable experience in Brit sportscars as Daily Drivers. In the dry, wet, and snow.

When I bought a used Giulietta Spider in 1965, the advance in handling and braking was a remarkable improvement. In the dry, wet, and snow.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #188 of 291 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
PSk

2 new boots have been chucked on the 156v6, so all safe again. Now all tyres are the same brand

Pete
oz3litre likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #189 of 291 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 03:30 AM

Tire wear

Pete I have not read all the thread word for word however just a few points of interest on tire wear.
156 will wear out front bush's and ball joints on top and bottom control arms. A good mechanic can check these very quickly. The rear lateral arm bush's can also wear. A quality wheel alignment should provide you with good tire wear. Standard specs should be taken with a grain of salt. Better set the car up to suit its environmental use.
post #190 of 291 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfettaparts2 View Post
Pete I have not read all the thread word for word however just a few points of interest on tire wear.
156 will wear out front bush's and ball joints on top and bottom control arms. A good mechanic can check these very quickly. The rear lateral arm bush's can also wear. A quality wheel alignment should provide you with good tire wear. Standard specs should be taken with a grain of salt. Better set the car up to suit its environmental use.
Thanks for your post alfettaparts2. FYI, the tyres I replaced last evening had done at least 40,000 km's as they were on the car when I bought it. I consider that acceptable.

I have had a wheel alignment done due to the last tyre issue and now, as advised on this site, rotate the tyres front to rear every 5000 km's. Since doing that I have not had any weird tyre wear issues again

Yes if I knew somebody in the wheel alignment business, like I used to back in my motor racing days, I would take some camber off the rear wheels as while she handles amazingly I could work with a little less handling

Saying that both tyres that were replaced would have failed the next warrant of fitness so while the inside was worn more than the outside the tyre wear indicators were either reached or would have been reached in a matter of weeks.

So no complaints, she is a good car
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 02-01-2018 at 09:51 AM.
post #191 of 291 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Good news. As soon as an approved bank loan comes though the 156v6 will return to being a weekend warrior. While great fun to drive to work everyday the number of km's she has been running up has been concerning me.

Need to get something tiny that runs by dangling an oily rag in front of it, that can be worn out instead ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #192 of 291 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 07:34 PM

I bought a 08 Punto JTD running a 1.3 turbo diesel and it runs on the smell of an oily rag so to speak.Chain drive so no cambelt, enough power 90hp/200nm, good enough handling to keep up momentum and enough convenience features to satisfy.
Can thoroughly recommend if you haven`t got a car yet. 115000km`s and modest price of $4600. Good value plus is still Italian.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #193 of 291 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz View Post
I bought a 08 Punto JTD running a 1.3 turbo diesel and it runs on the smell of an oily rag so to speak.Chain drive so no cambelt, enough power 90hp/200nm, good enough handling to keep up momentum and enough convenience features to satisfy.
Can thoroughly recommend if you haven`t got a car yet. 115000km`s and modest price of $4600. Good value plus is still Italian.
I was thinking diesel until I found out that I had to pay $62 per 1000 km's road user charges. I do 700 km's per week so that would be ~$62 per 1.5 weeks. The 156v6 is using around $110-120 per week so I now think a Honda Jazz or Daihatsu Siron that can do around 50mpg would be overall cheaper to run.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #194 of 291 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:26 AM

When I sold new cars (Nissan) we worked out that 400k`s per week was the cutoff and the more k`s over that figure the more you saved. Remember you have even greater economy plus the new generation diesels have less maintenance including longer engine service life .Direct cost of fuel is also quite a bit cheaper per litre. I`ve reduced my costs by 25% just by going from a 1250cc petrol engined Punto Mk2 to a 1300cc diesel Grande Punto. Both cars make my 156 2 litre TS seem like I`m running a V8 in comparison and that car is still reasonably economical. True the road tax is a pain but we buy 3000-5000k`s at a time which makes it a little easier.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #195 of 291 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:48 PM

Well, I like it this way. Not everybody is the Alfa-type, so to say.
And I like it when I see an other 156 GTA on holiday that it is really special. Waving, thumbs up. I don't see BMW 330i-drivers do that ;-)

I drive this GTA for almost 12 years now, and I am still happy with it! 220.000 km's and still counting. Just not so fast anymore.

Mario

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode