I cannot understand why every second car is not an Alfa Romeo - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
I guess it depends on which engine is in the golf; 1.6, 1.8T or the 2.slow. Pretty much all of them have a self grenading diff from memory (althoug our 1.6 keeps on keeping on at 274Km)..
It is the 5 valve 1.8 non-turbo. I don't actually get why some people are Golf fans. Yes it is a solid feeling car, but uninspiring to drive. It is quite quick when you give it some but the steering is horrid, and handling feels weird IMO.

And yes this car had a failing diff when I bought it, but to be fair to VW, in this case it was caused by hitting something that cracked the casing meaning all the oil leaked out.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Was being pushed by, I assume, a v8 Commodore this morning on a wet road ... I didn't respond but a few corners later he left me alone, after he finally caught back up, even in the only passing lane didn't pass me.

I've found I can take every corner on my run to work without braking and at my cruising speed
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #168 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 03:12 PM

Good one Pete! Some Commodore drivers, including my youngest brother, have an inflated view of how good their cars are. I have roundabouts at each end of my street and sometimes I flick the GT around them for fun, which is easy with the very quick steering and the tight handling with the KW coil overs and strut brace. One day when I was doing that, I had a young bloke in a Commodore behind me and I could see by the way he came up close that he was going to prove that he could do that too, so I kept one eye on the rear view mirror. The look on his face when he realised he and the Commodore weren’t up to it was classic. I think he had to go home and change his undies.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #169 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Lol!

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #170 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
PSk

So I had the usual conversation that us Alfisti just to have every now and then ...

I parked my 156v6 and a work colleague whizzed his car in into a parking spot behind mine on the side of the road, and got out and said "so how reliable has she been, I've heard that Alfa Romeos have issues" ... while I paused to think how best to respond ... he went on how Alfas used to have a flooding reputation ... I was thinking he meant 164's and their windscreen leaks, but apparently he had access to a Sud once and if it didn't start first time it flooded ... I said that I'd done nearly 40k km's and no reliably issues at all ... I also said that I used to own a Sud and don't recall any flooding issues ... the conversation fizzled on a little bit with me saying I understand they are quirky and that suits me fine.

Now I wonder, has he ever driven any other than this single Alfa Sud? and that like everybody it seems, is how he builds this opinion that Alfa Romeos are unreliable, ie. one single car that sounds like it needed a proper mechanic to sort out. I've found that yes the build quality of the body and interior can be suspect but mechanically they are reliable, as the only issues I've had have been caused by me and racing ...

Sigh
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #171 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 04:38 AM

Thatís typical of those types Pete. The thing that gets me is that they feel the need to tell you your car is crap, based on no experience at all. I think Corollas are mind numbingly boring, but I donít go around telling their owners that. The guy obviously knows nothing about mechanics because he doesnít know that Suds had carby engines from the 70s and yours is a highly sophisticated EFI engine possibly better than what he was driving.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #172 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 01:44 PM

If you have been around cars like I have for a number of years, both as a garage proprietor/ car dealer, and as an owner you will know they have yet to build the "perfect car". Some ignorant people believe the myth however but as I say it depends on your expectations and attitudes as we are all different and what to some is a major issue is to others minor but having owned several Alfas I`ve never had a problem, that`s why I`ve continued to own them. I also point out that they are quirky though and perhaps demand more than someone who wants a mere appliance - that usually shuts them up.
I`ve experienced the same with our daily driver Fiat - a late Fiat Punto JTD but as its our 10th daily driver Fiat and we`ve never had any reliability issues which I gladly tell them - usually shuts them up when I ask "how many have you owned?"
I have sold Alfas to and been with people who have no mechanical sympathy or aptitude whatsoever and you do wonder why they are even interested.
Like you I have found Alfa Romeo to be reliable and fun to drive but one that doesn`t tolerate fools.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #173 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz View Post
Like you I have found Alfa Romeo to be reliable and fun to drive but one that doesn`t tolerate fools.
Yep, and why I never miss oil changes with my Alfas, but with our old Honda Odyssey I've been guilty of driving on for longer than I care to admit when funds were being prioritised on other things.

My wife gets upset with this and sees my attention with the 156 (and it will be the same with any Alfa) as being hopelessly in love with a car, which it is ... but also I know that Alfas will bite you if you treat them like a Honda/Toyota ... and I must say removing and replacing the oil filter on the 156v6 is not a 5 minute task.

Years ago a life long friend wanted help choosing between an Alfa 33 or a Peugeot 309GTI, before he had even finished asking I was saying Peugeot. He's not a car guy and enjoyed the Peugeot for many years
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #174 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 01:24 PM

I sincerely hope that the new Alfas are less demanding of their owner as conquest sales to "non car people" or rather people that are less understanding of a demanding mistress are going to cause real grief and set the brand back maybe to oblivion. Certainly I`ve noticed each successive model of Alfa (and even Fiat) is less quirky than they used to be but when you need to make volume sales and survive this is what you need to do.

Richard J
post #175 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Question for you 156v6 experts.

I've recently been staring at the rubber fuel line that goes to the fuel rail and the absence of hose clips each end of this rubber hose ... is this correct? It has been like that since I bought the car and no fuel leak but it looks wrong. If there was a fuel leak there, the car would have burnt to the ground by now I guess!

Anyway what do you experts think? Is it some sort of bonded hose?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #176 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 02:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
At the old part on line catalog you can find the parts and there numbers.
As it old it not always you can go in. Right now I can't come in all the way. You can try the ling
FIAT ePER

Its always a good idea to change fuel rubber hoses every now and then.
post #177 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Thanks Eric. I guess maybe I should replace the fuel hoses, she is now 16 years old ... I'll give this some thought ... and check my piggy bank.

But I've searched and viewed many photos of these wonderful engines and the fuel hose I'm talking about does not have any form of hose clips on each end. Weird but that is how it is.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #178 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Bay some length of fuel hose and make your own pipes and fit them with jubilee chips.
While you are at it thing about brake rubber pipes as well.
When I started my Spider first time 2Ĺ years ago both my brake and fuel pipes had collapsed internally. The pipes were about 13 years old.
PSk likes this.
post #179 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
PSk

BTW: 680 km's so far on the current fuel tank ... apparently the fuel tank capacity is 55 litres (and I did put in 54 litres last fill) so that works out as 8.09 l/100 km's or 34.92 mpg if I've used all 55 litres (obviously there is fuel in the lines, etc. still)!

If I can reach 700 I could theoretically complete a whole week of driving to work on a tank
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #180 of 289 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:09 AM

Pete, the hoses on my twin spark are the same. they use a barbed fitting and need to be carefully cut so you don`t nick the barbs at the termination if you are removing and replacing and fitted with EXACTLY the same internal diameter hose. The V6 engine always was economical. in the old GTV6 and 90 days they would often beat Alfasuds on the old Alfa Club economy runs. The twin spark is even better though and even sharper in the handling- just doesn`t sound as good.

Richard J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode