I cannot understand why every second car is not an Alfa Romeo - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 02:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
You were lucky you hit the stone with the corner of your car and not strait on. That could easily have made a hole in the sump.
My wife once drove our 156 to work (her Fiat Punto was being serviced) and hit a stray stone (10x10 cm). The aluminium tray became slightly bend. But the sump got a crack, luckily only a little oil ran out. She got the company chauffeur to check the oil level before driving home.
PS! the 156 was lowered 40 mm by first owner. That's too much there were roads that I had to avoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Yes the sump was my first concern. I do not believe it was involved ... will double check the oil level this morning as it is currently being used as the daily as the Honda Odyssey is in the finishing stages of having it's rear crankshaft seal replaced (as I could not stand the oil leaking any longer).
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #153 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 03:44 PM

I can highly recommend the aluminium trays from Alfastumper in Denmark. I have one on my GT. They give you more ground clearance as well as durability.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), sonís girlfiendís car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (sonís new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Okay I now think it was the gearbox side, but anyway as soon as the Odyssey is out of the workshop the Alfa will go in and up on stands so I can remove the undertray and inspect for damage properly.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #155 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Okay the Honda is done. New rear main crankshaft seal and both top outer ball joints ... great to do something before I fail a warranty of fitness

Will have a look at the 156 this weekend.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #156 of 289 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
PSk

I've had a cold, but finally today got around to remove the undertray and confirming any damage. Extremely luckily I can report that the passenger side suspension sub frame took the hit and has been dented, but no need to replace. If the engine ever gets refreshed I'll restore the sub frame then but I believe there has been no alteration to wheel alignment specs. The plastic undertray has lost a little bit more, sigh, and must have flexed up considerably as the rock slide through.

Thankfully the gearbox and engine were not hit, but if I had been a mere 50mm's further left the gearbox would have taken the hit instead of the sub frame ... phew!!!

So I've repaired the undertray, again, this time with a small alloy tube, on the inside (top) riveted to the plastic, right across to hold it up properly and parallel with the ground. No more wet nappy look .

So all buttoned up again ... and gee I was lucky
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 06-02-2017 at 11:57 PM.
post #157 of 289 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Here's what I did, and an installed photo showing how it is nice and parallel with the ground now. Probably the last fix I can make with the original plastic undertray. If it gets hit badly again I'll have to purchase the alloy one ...

The metal straps were the first fix I made, which worked but the undertray did hang down a little in the middle, now it doesn't. As you can see the rear corners are completely missing, with another chunk ripped of by the rock
Pete
Attached Images

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #158 of 289 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 03:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
I can highly recommend the aluminium trays from Alfastumper in Denmark. I have one on my GT. They give you more ground clearance as well as durability.
I'm afraid that Alfastumper doesn't have the alu trays any more.

It a long time since your last entry. Is it still going fine with your 156 V6?
I hope all is well with your son and the rest of your family.

I have had some difficulties finding a middle part for my exhaust. None of the usual suspects carry it. I found one nearly new on German e-bay. As we are going on a round trip to Germany we visit the guy (an Italian guy in Germany near Stuttgard were we are going anyway).
My experience with the Fiat Bravo is that the exhaust was finished after 6 years. My Guilietta is now 6+ years old. The rear silencer I bought from a fellow Alfisti and member of the Alfa Club, who had bought a twin rear part of exhaust. They are very popular right now.
post #159 of 289 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I'm afraid that Alfastumper doesn't have the alu trays any more.
That is a pity. My repaired one will just have to do. I think it would be relatively easy to fix the missing parts with fibreglass but low on my priority list.
Quote:
It a long time since your last entry. Is it still going fine with your 156 V6?
Just clocking up the miles. Recently flew straight through a road worthlyness check, but thankfully I checked the lights before we went and the right rear brake light was not working ... 5 minutes later and a wiggle of the bulb and it was ... hmmm.
Quote:
I hope all is well with your son and the rest of your family.
Up's and down's but mostly he is doing okay. Life is very structured for him and the repeated questions making sure it remains that way gets tiring but this is my families life now and we make the most of it .

I have recently bought some very cheap small paint brushes and I'm going to paint some Rustroy on my GTV as it is becoming obvious that I will not be recommencing its restoration any time soon ... so it is important that it does not go backwards while it (im)patiently waits.
Quote:
I have had some difficulties finding a middle part for my exhaust. None of the usual suspects carry it. I found one nearly new on German e-bay. As we are going on a round trip to Germany we visit the guy (an Italian guy in Germany near Stuttgard were we are going anyway).
My experience with the Fiat Bravo is that the exhaust was finished after 6 years. My Guilietta is now 6+ years old. The rear silencer I bought from a fellow Alfisti and member of the Alfa Club, who had bought a twin rear part of exhaust. They are very popular right now.
My exhaust looks really good thankfully. The only issue there is a minor oil leak (cigarette seals?) that drips on the front part rarely. I've ignored it for now, but it is working it's way up my priority list largely because it's oil is not cheap

I hope your Alfa and family are happy too
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #160 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
PSk

So finally I have a new job, started it this week, and pay is much better but the good and bad is I have to drive to Rotorua from Papamoa/Tauranga every day. This is a ~70km trip so the 156v6 is doing ~140km's per day.

So his weekend the wheels will be rotated and I will be doing that at least twice as many times as she gets serviced. Unfortunately there is no covered company carpark so I will have to get some windscreen shades to protect the leather but otherwise she will be racking up the km's. She is already up to 144,000 km's (bought at 113,000) with a brand new cambelt at 103,000 ... so probably early next year she will need a replacement cambelt.

While it is great to drive such an awesome car on a great road (passing performance is wonderful) I'm not exactly over the moon about running up the km's so fast, BUT then I do believe in using Alfas and will **** well be doing that!. If it breaks, or wears out, I'll just bloody well fix it!

I think I will set aside Saturday morning, or Friday evening, for 156v6 wash time
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #161 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
So finally I have a new job, started it this week, and pay is much better but the good and bad is I have to drive to Rotorua from Papamoa/Tauranga every day. This is a ~70km trip so the 156v6 is doing ~140km's per day.

So his weekend the wheels will be rotated and I will be doing that at least twice as many times as she gets serviced. Unfortunately there is no covered company carpark so I will have to get some windscreen shades to protect the leather but otherwise she will be racking up the km's. She is already up to 144,000 km's (bought at 113,000) with a brand new cambelt at 103,000 ... so probably early next year she will need a replacement cambelt.

While it is great to drive such an awesome car on a great road (passing performance is wonderful) I'm not exactly over the moon about running up the km's so fast, BUT then I do believe in using Alfas and will **** well be doing that!. If it breaks, or wears out, I'll just bloody well fix it!

I think I will set aside Saturday morning, or Friday evening, for 156v6 wash time
Pete
Congratulations on the new job Pete. My wife does the same distance to school and back every day in her 159 ti Sportwagon 2.4 jtdm. We live in the southern suburbs near the beaches and her school is in the north east. The 159 makes the commute much more enjoyable than it would be in a Camry, thatís for sure. The journey involves about 10 km of 100 KPH on the expressway each way, which is ideal for the diesel. We have never noticed it do a DPF clean. On my instructions the EGR has been blocked off, which also helps a lot to keep the inlet system clean.

Current Alfas

Non Alfa

Past Alfas
post #162 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz3litre View Post
Congratulations on the new job Pete. My wife does the same distance to school and back every day in her 159 ti Sportwagon 2.4 jtdm. We live in the southern suburbs near the beaches and her school is in the north east. The 159 makes the commute much more enjoyable than it would be in a Camry, that’s for sure. The journey involves about 10 km of 100 KPH on the expressway each way, which is ideal for the diesel. We have never noticed it do a DPF clean. On my instructions the EGR has been blocked off, which also helps a lot to keep the inlet system clean.
Yes perfect for a diesel. My trip is 80-90% open road so ~100 kph most of the way. Some great corners ... and thankfully we've found the 156 economical but of course not to your 159 level.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #163 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:24 AM

I don’t have a daily commute, so my GT 3.2 doesn’t use a lot of petrol in a week. It is pretty economical for a high performance engine, but would be expensive on a commute like my wife’s. I’ve been driving the 3 litre 75 project car around lately. I finished fitting a Twin Spark transaxle to it a couple of weeks ago and boy has that livened it up. It is considerably faster now and even more fun than those cars usually are. We fitted GT leather seats to it which make it much more comfortable to drive than with the worn out and dated cloth ones. I’ve had four 3 litre 75s, two 164s and the GT, so you might say I’m a Busso fan.
PSk and simon johnson like this.

Current Alfas

Non Alfa

Past Alfas
post #164 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
PSk

Thanks to the flippin tax man the pay I actually get isn't that much more ... sigh. So more time required before the 1750 gets more attention.

And also the economy of the 156v6 is very important on the long trip to work and back. Last tank worked out at 8.5 l/100 which I am very happy with, especially as I know the speeds I hit on some passing lanes . So I'm confident I can get the whole week out of a tank, which is 700 km. It is a pity that she has to use 95+ octane as that adds to the cost.

When this next tank is nearly empty I will have to try the VW Golf Mk4 which I have actually got going nicely now, but presently unable to sell. I think it might get close to 7 l/100, so maybe we will keep it and the 156 can rest back in the shed (?, but then we have the cost of another cars rego and warrants ... hmmm). Don't want to have to sell the 156, and it would be an even harder sell than the Golf, but ... I'll just work harder
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 10-24-2017 at 12:20 AM.
post #165 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 01:16 AM

Garage
I guess it depends on which engine is in the golf; 1.6, 1.8T or the 2.slow. Pretty much all of them have a self grenading diff from memory (althoug our 1.6 keeps on keeping on at 274Km)..

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode