Aftermarket part tolerances vs. OEM - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:29 AM

Garage
This is what we should all be doing!
Attached Images

alfaloco and aguirola like this.

Cars ruined my life! 😱
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:38 AM

happened to me already twice (the last one today), 105/115 gearbox mount wich is not round and impossible to install, it is the right diameter but its egg shaped, put it on the lathe and it become obvious, shave it round on the lathe and bang on!! wacht out for this
alfaloco likes this.

Last edited by quadrifolio; 03-27-2019 at 10:42 AM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrifolio View Post
happened to me already twice (the last one today), 105/115 gearbox mount wich is not round and impossible to install, it is the right diameter but its egg shaped, put it on the lathe and it become obvious, shave it round on the lathe and bang on!! wacht out for this
A perfect (or not) example of the kind of crap parts we are being sold. That mount hole in the tranny is round, last time I checked.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post
A perfect (or not) example of the kind of crap parts we are being sold. That mount hole in the tranny is round, last time I checked.
A perfect example that some providers do not care much about what they sell, or their clients.
It's called the 'bottom line'...............

So what do you do? Stop buying from them until they straighten up, and let them know LOUD & CLEAR!

Regards, Alberto
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I sent the link to this thread out to Centerline, Vick Autosports and Mr FIAT as a heads-up on this issue. If anyone feels like others ought to receive it, feel free to send it. I think most of our other vendors here in the USA, like Di Fatta, Alfa Parts out in CA, and other specialty shops offer mostly OEM parts. We won't have these problems with original Alfa ricambi parts.

Thanks for the interest and support.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Di Fatta Bros sell aftermarket parts. I trust them more than some others because they sell the same parts that they install in customer's cars.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I didn't know that about DiFatta, but anything I've bought from them was a perfect part. I like dealing with them because they absolutely KNOW Alfas.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post
That mount hole in the tranny is round, last time I checked.
the hole in the tranny is idd round, the mount wasnt
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:46 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
Here is what can happen. You won't buy from a vendor because the parts they sold you didn't fit, didn't work or didn't last. You then choose to say nothing and boycott the vendor. They have no clue why no one is buying parts. They are not making any income, so they close their doors. One less vendor, less competition.

One could have called, written the vendor to notify them as to what the problem is and try to work it out. The vendor then can go to the source and see where the problem is. The vendor should check for QC and send the bad parts back asking to have the issue fixed.

OEM parts will dry up and thn all we have is after-market. Only when someone says something or the vendor does QC, will we have parts like OEM.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
One could have called, written the vendor to notify them as to what the problem is and try to work it out. The vendor then can go to the source and see where the problem is. The vendor should check for QC and send the bad parts back asking to have the issue fixed.

OEM parts will dry up and thn all we have is after-market. Only when someone says something or the vendor does QC, will we have parts like OEM.
Agree, and I do so, always complain when a spare is not right made and let them know, I just trying to alert others about this bad fit so they first do check the sparepart before intalling it
velocedoc likes this.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Guys, we as consumers should not have to be the QA inspectors for suppliers. It is up to the manufacturer to produce the part to spec, assuming they care about their product quality. And further, it is the responsibility of a good vendor to ensure that parts they are sourcing and offering to us fit the car. After all, they are Alfa owners, too!

This is the very reason I sent out those links. We pay for the part, we have a right to expect an acceptable level of quality.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:58 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
With the rising prices of 102/106 cars, manufacturers have rushed into the market with previously NLA parts that are, at best, vaguely shaped like the original.

I admire Classic Alfa for their good service, but for awhile I was sending them a weekly “does not fit” report. I’ve got quite a pile scheduled to go back to them. They’ll pay the freight, but it’s a hassle none of us need.

Many of the parts are polished trim items, which have to be, themselves, trimmed to fit. Much work, after which we discovered that they simply cannot be fitted.

About 10% of the silent blocks had unusable IDs or ODs.

The sad fact is that true OE is NLA, so we have the choice of paricipating in the QC process, or going without.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode