An Interaction with Alfa Parts Exchange - Larry - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Take a look here
105 Spider Parts - 105 Spider Wipers - Classic Alfa

Unfortunately no "Tuder" script on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM

I love talking with Larry Sr ! My favorite curmudgeon. Many spirited discussions, and I had a great visit there once, when I was on the road and needed help.
I too am grumpy a lot of the time, but if people are respectful and patient, I will work with them.
For a Long time, I wouldn't sell parts, because of people giving me grief over prices, like the NOS GTV6 door handle with key, I wanted $100, and I got slammed on the BB for gouging and holding customers hostage to my "greed". And BB posts like"Who do I think I am, trying to get $125 for a NOS GTV6 front air dam still in the bag.
APE is a valuable resource, because many things are not available new anywhere, and you are lucky to find them at all.
AND, if you treat Sr. with respect, he is a hoot to talk to !!
bill2000 likes this.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 12:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
It is relevant because it represents a pattern of grumpy old Alfa experts. I could have also mentioned Al Cosentino or Fred DiMatteo (RTFM). Snowflakes beware!
As a long time member of Alfa Owners of New England, I had the great pleasure of getting to know Fred DiMatteo very well, as a matter of fact his whole family. I could see how Fred might come across as crotchety, but if you got to know him, he was a prince. When I talk to others about Fred, I always mention his energy, he was unstoppable. His Alfa trips to Italy, were amazing, as if he was given the golden key to unlock excursions to Autodelta, Pininfarina, Balocco and more. Trips to ARI in NJ were a blast. I miss him, but enjoyed looking back. Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 01:07 PM
DrZ

66Super

The Larry's provide invaluable service to the Alfa community, especially tight wads like me. Like many things Alfa there is a learning curve and once you get there it can be kind of a special place. I agree with the beer algorithm.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VabeneGTV View Post
As a long time member of Alfa Owners of New England, I had the great pleasure of getting to know Fred DiMatteo very well, as a matter of fact his whole family. I could see how Fred might come across as crotchety, but if you got to know him, he was a prince. When I talk to others about Fred, I always mention his energy, he was unstoppable. His Alfa trips to Italy, were amazing, as if he was given the golden key to unlock excursions to Autodelta, Pininfarina, Balocco and more. Trips to ARI in NJ were a blast. I miss him, but enjoyed looking back. Fran
Fran, it's good to see your name on the BB.

I spent 3 years in exile in Boston from 1979-1982, and it was then that I joined AONE and met Fred, Anna, and Peter. They were great friends to my wife and me, and also to our new-born daughter, also named Anna.

To call Fred unstoppable is an understatement - he was an unending source of Alfa energy, and always had time to field a question, give a hand, or just sit back and enjoy Alfa friends.

I recall that when we were pitching the 1989 National Convention that was a cooperative event between Connecticut and New England, we gave a slide presentation.

The last slide was a parody of a popular Ferrari commercial (Why do we build Ferraris like this? Because Il Commendatore wants it that way!), and instead of Enzo next to a Ferrari, we had Fred next to an Alfa. The narrative was, "Why should Connecticut and New England host the 1989 Convention? Because Fred DiMatteo wants it that way!"

As I tinker with my latest Alfa, I often think of Fred as I seem to re-invent the wheel that he long ago knew all about.

Best,

Mario
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 10:11 AM

I believe NorCal has a right to this review without this amount of harassment. He is reporting his experience. I have had 4 dealings with APE and yup, they range from downright rude and insulting to "salt of the earth" friendliness.

I really dont think anyone is expecting a Walmart type customer experience. However a little humanity never hurt anyone. I am 30 mins from APE but gave trying to deal with them years ago.

Larry had the right to run his biz as he wants (this post aint gonna change anything) but maybe if Alfa parts hunters where warned ahead of time they would understand or "tolerate" the experience.

If I choose to call APE I mentally prepare myself for a interesting encounter (positive and negative)

Just saying

Daron

74 GTV (red) (rusty) (fun)
67 Super (white) (also rusty)
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Having "Avoid" in the thread title is like a newspaper printing a false story on page one and a correction on page 6 the next day.
gprocket likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 01:17 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

APE & Larry

I`ve dealt with Larry regularly for years. He`s great to deal with.

If you are a sensitive little flower, avoid me as well..........

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I've known Larrys Sr and Jr for 30 years. Sr is in particular a character, and you have to take him as he is. It's his business, take it or leave it.

In my extensive experience, I've had fair and decent dealings with both of them across the board. They are a business, have to make money, set prices accordingly; they're not a swap meet or hobby. So sometimes their prices might seem more than you'd expect, but (1) they pay rent on two locations, (2) they have to make money for it to make sense, and (3) where else are you going to find this stuff.

Larry Jr in large part keeps the East Bay and SF Alfa scene going with trans, diffs, Spica stuff, engine parts, you name it. He makes nearly weekly deliveries to the Berkeley businesses and hobbyists. I couldn't have had all the Alfas I've had without them. So they get my vote, 100%.

Andrew
rkirkpatrick likes this.
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:26 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
I am another satisfied customer of Alfa Parts Exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
Having "Avoid" in the thread title is like a newspaper printing a false story on page one and a correction on page 6 the next day.
I agree with the above comment. How about if we edit the thread title to something less inflammatory? "Interaction with" instead of "Avoid"?
gprocket and alfaparticle like this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ghnl; 08-30-2017 at 10:45 AM.
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:37 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
The Alfa community is loaded with quirky people and vendors. I'd wager that is the case with a lot of non-mainstream hobbies. I guess I've grown used to it over the years and learned to deal with it. The only vendor I'd ever apply an "avoid at all costs" label to was Ed, from Caribou.

I've been fortunate to have nothing but good interactions with the people at APE, including both Larrys. Maybe it's because I had a little heads up to their business model before I ever dealt with them, or maybe it's just because I'm so charming. Who knows. But they do seem to be a vendor that fills a valuable void in our community, so I'd suggest it's in your best interests to figure out how to interact with them.

They hosted the most recent swap meet, and presumably they'll be hosting more. That's a very good venue to attend and get to know them (and others) in person.

A couple of tips I'd recommend for dealing with APE:

1) Recognize that they're a business, but that they don't have state of the art inventory control, etc. They're not Amazon.
2) They're not well set up to handle orders for individual nuts and bolts.
3) If you need to order something small, best to try to come up with a number of items you might need. That way they're not spending time to find and ship you that one small nut or bolt.
4) Even better if you can bundle up that small part with something more significant.
5) Don't ever try to 'bargain' with them.
6) If you do need to order that one small part, then I'd try to be a little humble and understanding with them up front. It might also be the kind of thing that's best done via email with them, so they can process it during their down time, and not as an interrupt.

Yes, I know you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to spend money with a vendor. But we are in a fringe community. Hopefully you can find a way to make things work.

HTH,

bs
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:54 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx9146 View Post
I believe NorCal has a right to this review without this amount of harassment. He is reporting his experience.
NorCal is not being harassed. He posted his interpretation of a shared experience. Based on that interpretation instructed us to "Avoid" APE. The forum, like it or not, is rw-rw-rw-. Post a strong opinion and others will post theirs. That's exactly how it's supposed to work.

If by chance you can't afford LSD, buy yourself a color TV. - Godard

1982 GTV6
1973 GTV2000
1971 Karmann Ghia Vert
1982 Land Cruiser
1988 Land Cruiser
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Interesting observation: There are currently 57 "Likes" which would suggest that many people agree that Larry should be avoided. However, of those likes 49 are in support of Larry. If it were my business I'd be freaking out. But one thing's for sure: Larry couldn't give a rat's behind what I, NorCal, or any of the rest of the peanut thinks or says...
spydaman likes this.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Count me as a fan of APE as well. I find Larry Sr. very entertaining to talk to, and have had nothing but pleasant interactions both over the phone and in person.

1968 Euro-spec 1750 GTV (still under restoration)
1973 2000 Spider
1979 Alfetta Sprint Veloce
2017 Giulia ti Q4
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:14 PM

A lot of those supporting Larry in this thread mention "pleasant interactions". I for the most had the same. But I stopped buying from APE when Larry sold me a rusted-out wiper motor for $100 plus shipping as "ready to install". It wasn't in so many ways. And after provided all the details and documentation he requested the asswipe still refused to even discuss either a refund or an exchange.

I have had no trouble finding all the parts I need other wrecking yards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode