An Interaction with Alfa Parts Exchange - Larry - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:18 PM

XXX

Last edited by mygtveloce; 02-22-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
If you're going to own Alfas, you'd better learn how to interact with quirky weirdos.
This is so not true.

I've owned Alfas and several other European cars off and on for the last 45 years and have never found a need to conduct business with "quirky weirdos" to maintain these cars.
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 PM

I have been parts from Larry for years and he has always helped me out. I know that I do not like to order one small part from anyone because their time is valuable. I always remember that I have old cars and many parts are no longer available new or used and sometimes have to trade for parts. I gave Larry probably thousand pounds of Fiat and Alfa parts for $100.00. I agree that owning old cars and finding parts is a big problem and most classic car owners have to be patient when their cars need parts. I number of my Alfa friends are old and do not want to sell parts to anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:18 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunki View Post
I've owned Alfas and several other European cars off and on for the last 45 years and have never found a need to conduct business with "quirky weirdos" to maintain these cars.
Sure, Alice.

Attached Images

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 03:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
If you're going to own Alfas, you'd better learn how to interact with quirky weirdos.
True to that Tom! The amount of times ive called some of the odd ball sellers of parts and bit my tongue at some of their mannerisms. Its part of the fun of owning an Alfa - many people just dont understand, but its fun :-)
spydaman likes this.

Alfa Romeo Spider and Cagiva Mito. Im a tragic for punishment!
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:56 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
You guys amaze me. This poor guy wants a hard to find part for his car. He calls THE source for hard to find stuff and has a horrible experience. My experience with APE and small parts is that there is a minimum fee for small stuff. 20 years ago it was something like $25.

It's really not fair for everyone to give the OP a hard time because he had a bad experience with someone at APE. He is just sharing his experience.

My last experience with someone there has made it my last experience with APE. I needed a bell housing, I called said exactly what I wanted and gave my credit card number, etc. Sr. called back for clarification and the part showed up some days later. It was full of cracks. I called back to get another and asked that it please be inspected before sending it. I got chewed out and told that these cars are 40 year old effing pieces of s**t. The conversation got worse. I was sent another un-inspected bell housing. How could I tell? It was covered in a thick layer of dirt and grease, just like the first one. I don't mind dirty parts, but I do mind parts that are not serviceable if I pay for one that is serviceable.

I prefer to do business with people who want my money. I consider myself reasonable and am willing to pay asking prices. I will not shop at APE ever again. I'd rather pay $200 for a small part from someone who appreciates my business than to have to put up with moody, burnt out employees and business owners.

I'll buy used parts from anyone other than APE.
steveh29, jantar and nunki like this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:46 AM

Garage
In Larry's defense, we're getting old. Our blood is thickening. Maybe the morning coffee hadn't greased the plumbing. He has always treated me well.

Ciao tutti

93 Spider (red)
87 Milano (not red)
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:11 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo View Post
In Larry's defense, we're getting old. Our blood is thickening. Maybe the morning coffee hadn't greased the plumbing. He has always treated me well.
We can defend and/or make excuses for most anyone. All that does is support poor attitudes and behavior.
jantar and nunki like this.

post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo View Post
In Larry's defense, we're getting old.
Matthew 7:12 So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Those prophets were pretty old too.
ossodiseppia and evieceli like this.

Spending my kids' inheritance one mechanic at a time.
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:19 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have come to understand that one of my challenges/opportunities in this life is to learn humility and tolerance. For this to happen, I must encounter people that try my tolerance, and force me to surrender ego as the ultimate demand.

In every case, doing so has brought more good into my life than the price that was exacted.

In the case of the Larry's, I've chosen to admire the supreme curmudgeonry that they have achieved, Sr. being naturally farther along the road than Jr. I choose to admire the art and freedom of self expression rather than focus on whether my ego has been stroked.

I still struggle mightily with the local Sonic Drive-in help that cannot, or will not, listen to the order being placed, preferring to interrupt in the middle of the conversation to ask questions that were already answered. But then, perhaps we are all being asked to contribute to the education of smart-*** teenagers, and in so doing, become accomplished curmudgeons ourselves.

"Get off my lawn!!!"

One of my bucket list items is to go to work as a Walmart greeter and set the record for the shortest amount of time to get fired without actually touching or saying something to anyone, or breaking any public indecency laws.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Hi. I think the post has served its purpose. A vendor review. If you like him, great. If you don't, great. I obviously can't put the entire Congressional transcript of our call here. He called me back to tell me he had the part, and was getting my address to ship it. He started scolding me like I was a 2 year old because I was "talking to fast" and hung up. Hung up a 2nd and third time after a minute or two of conversation when I called back to try and understand what set him off. It has nothing to do with parts being too cheap, It has to do with his lack of patience, which sadly prevented him from getting other more profitable orders from me.

If I can figure out how to delete the post, I will. Can't find the "delete" button. It's served its purpose. If I can't, well, then, Larry is a vendor that I didn't know from Adam, and I provided an objective review. I'm not going to remove the post simply because he is the apparent Amazon of Alfa parts.

I want to reiterate my prior appreciation that I posted a couple of weeks ago in the 105/115Spider forum to the many people who have provided information on my car. This has been a great board, and I look forward to helping future members with the knowledge that I have acquired through the help on the board.

1987 S3 Spider Quad 81k miles- California car- no rust - always garaged - everything works!, until it doesn't.......
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Well said DPeterson. After a good night of sleep (yesterday was a frustrating day on many fronts), I would probably figure a way to do it differently. Ok moving on. I'm done with this post.....(my 43 year old attention span has reached it limit.... ))

1987 S3 Spider Quad 81k miles- California car- no rust - always garaged - everything works!, until it doesn't.......
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Garage
Some good came out of this post. I'm not here to bash anyone but instead to thank everyone. I've never heard of Alfa Parts Exchange so I went to their website and looked at photos of so many awesome cars. I've been exposed to wrecked cars my entire life as my dad is a retired auto body master craftsman. You know the kind.... the ones that can actually "make" any body parts and none would know that they weren't factory panels.

Anyhow, thank you for the new source of parts and possibly future project cars as well as some fond, indirect memories of working with my dad. I love this BB!

Kind regards!
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:54 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
I have come to understand that one of my challenges/opportunities in this life is to learn humility and tolerance. For this to happen, I must encounter people that try my tolerance, and force me to surrender ego as the ultimate demand.
You're reading too much into someone's post, maybe mine. This has got nothing to do with ego and everything to do with being polite. Life is too short to put up with this kind of attitude from anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
If I can figure out how to delete the post, I will. Can't find the "delete" button. It's served its purpose. If I can't, well, then, Larry is a vendor that I didn't know from Adam, and I provided an objective review. I'm not going to remove the post simply because he is the apparent Amazon of Alfa parts.
Don't delete your post. It's a objective as you said.

post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 12:14 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
That's the best piece of advice on this thread - and it applies to the old car business in general. Man, you meet some seriously grumpy and weird dudes sometimes! I try to deal with them by smiling and calling them sir and just being friendly to a fault and that usually works out OK. But yeah, sometimes dealing with the old donkey just isn't worth it.

Don's advice is good too and I don't think aimed at anyone on this thread. I think he was talking generally about dealing with grumpy weirdos at junk yards.

I have used APE a couple of times and it wasn't a bad experience per se, but I don't use them for parts I can find elsewhere just to save a few bucks. But for some parts it's hard to know where else to turn.

Definitely don't delete your post. People need to know what they're getting into.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 07-19-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode