• 3 Post By Jd Santucci
  • 1 Post By ossodiseppia
  • 1 Post By classicalfas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The saga of the $706 speedometer repair

The $706 Odometer repair – the good, the bad and the ugly
This past March (2017) the odometer (and trip meter) stopped working on my 1986 Alfa Spider Quadrifoglio. I checked with Aflabb.com and found two recommendations. Powl’s Speedometer in Lancaster, PA and Palo Alto Speedometer in Palo Alto, CA.
Let’s start with ‘the bad’. I made a BIG MISTAKE BY CHOSING POWL’S SPEEDOMETER. I ponied up $24 to ship it to Powl's . The unit was returned within a few working days at a charge of $322 including shipping, claiming to have replaced the stepper motor and a gear, but IT ONLY WORKED FOR 2 DAYS AND LESS THAN 100 MILES before it stopped working. I called and they said to return it (another $24). After 6 days of hearing nothing, I called and left a message. NO RESPONSE FROM POWL’S. I called the next day and left a message. NO RESPONSE FROM POWL’S. I called a third day and spoke to a woman who said Rickie, would get back to me that day. NO CALL FROM POWL’S. I sent an email outlining my frustration and Rickie called. He identified himself as the owner and said he was having trouble finding the parts, now a chip and pc board. He called back about a week later still could not find the parts. Shortly thereafter he asked for $255 more to buy a cluster to get the parts. He said I had no other options so I agreed. A few days later the woman called and said that deal fell through and we were back to the start. I tried to help find the part but failed. In a subsequent discussion I realized they were not Alfa experts when they couldn’t pronounce Quadrifoglio. At that point I realized I did not want them working on my car and requested they send the part back and refund my money.
Now the ugly. Rickie said he would send the unit back but not the money. I was shocked, explaining I sent him a unit with a broken odometer and in the end he is sending me back a unit with a broken odometer and keeping my $300. I suggested that his reputation had to be worth more than that. His response was ‘so that’s how you want to play the game’. That was the last I heard from Rickie or Powl’s. I sent 2 subsequent emails requesting disposition of my money but NO RESPONSE FROM POWL’S.
The good: I called Palo Alto Speedometer. They knew all about Alfas, said they would evaluate it free of charge. I sent the unit to them (another $24). They evaluated it, called, estimated $285 plus shipping and asked if I wanted to proceed. They called again in a few days and confirmed it was repaired and the charge was $285 plus $21 shipping. The unit was RETURNED WITH THE DAMAGED PARTS (including a blown stepper motor). It has worked perfectly for 5 weeks.
Conclusion: My ordeal with Powl’s Speedometer lasted about 5 weeks and cost me $376 including shipping costs and I ended up right where I started with a non-functioning odometer. My successful transaction with Palo Alto Speedometer took a little over a week and cost $330 including shipping and I have a repaired unit. So fellow Alfa aficionados, be careful who you deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:15 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Did you pay Powls with a credit card?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yes I paid by credit card
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:04 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Call your credit card company and share your story with them. They might get your money back.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank You, ossodeseppia. Credit Card refunded me the entire amount.
ossodiseppia, ghnl and Tom Frasca like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:06 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd Santucci View Post
Thank You, ossodeseppia. Credit Card refunded me the entire amount.
HA! That's great news. Congratulations on the refund.
Tom Frasca likes this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 03:52 PM

Garage
Fantastic, now call Rickie and tell him to go F himself. I hate when uncrupulous people try to take advantage of customers thinking they have no recourse.
Tom Frasca likes this.

1966 GTA replica, 1967 Duetto, 1987 Quadrifoglio
1972, 1973, 1974 Montreal
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:32 PM

Garage
Granted this is an old thread but just to chime in on how together Palo Alto Speedo is. I've had crappy local speedo repair on my MGB that lasted only a brief period. Both of my Alfas have had rebuilding of odo/speedo from PA Speedo and they were done right at the right price.

Triple Black '87 Spider Quad, Silver '74 S2 Spider, '05 Triple Black modified Porsche Boxster S, Red '74 street/track MGB Roadster, 2015 WRX STi Stage 3+, 2016 4Runner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode