Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Product/Vendor Reviews (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/product-vendor-reviews/)
-   -   Vintage Customs: Customers Beware (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/product-vendor-reviews/535457-vintage-customs-customers-beware.html)

papajam 04-08-2018 06:59 AM

It is a shame that one long time BB regular believes that the rules do not apply to him. Specifically, creating other accounts so as to keep his regular user 'reputation' intact. Sorry, doesn't work that way whether you want to believe it or not.

The result of your selfish actions has resulted in not only your posts from other accounts being deleted but the closure of this thread. Should you start a new thread, or post to any thread using a false ID, you will be permanently banned and your regular user name made public.

My apologies to all for having to take this course on account of the actions of one person.

Jim
Administrator

cavilry 04-19-2018 08:40 AM

First off, thanks to Jim for being willing to reopen the thread so that I could update everyone.

So...an update for everyone. Not that anyone will be even slightly shocked by it.

As a recap, I went up to Tacoma to inspect the car on March 29th and had a hit list of items for Daron to address. Sure enough, he forgot that list so I had to shoot him a reminder the next week. He had told me the "first or second week" of April but I could tell at the time that the 1st week wasn't possible. Silly me, I hoped for the 2nd week to happen.

So, I've been calling every Wednesday (my assigned time) to ask for an update. Daron's reply is the same every time "ahhh, you again!! I can't wait to get this car done so you stop callin me! (he says it light-heartedly, though I know there is truth to it)" To which I reply "me to" and then he goes on to say "all I have to do is____" and lists the same list I provided him back at the end of March. The work that Ariel could do (trim, emblems, etc.) has been done but nothing on Daron's list has been done. It's been "up on the lift" more times than I can count...I just don't know.

He now SWEARS I will get a call from his delivery guy this week to arrange pickup on Monday or Tuesday...I really don't know what to expect but with my new job I don't have the mental bandwidth to freak out too hard on him. I just really hope this nightmare can end at some point.

PSk 04-19-2018 11:26 AM

Great that you are now calling him; I'd call him on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday as well, and threaten to escalate to two calls a day ... The squeaky wheels gets the oil ...

Currently you are easy to ignore as it is only one phone call a week he has to deal with.
Pete

Tom Frasca 04-19-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willwiser (Post 8143730)
As I read through this thread, the elapsed time here is the biggest issue from my point of view and it has been too long for the finish...but...on the labor time...having experience as a mechanic in different forms, when something is disassembled by another person/entity it significantly increases the time required to finish a job. By count, there were at least 5 different people/orgs involved in the restoration. Things have passed through 5 different hands/ labeling/sorting systems, and that assumes that everything is actually there. Even seemingly trivial jobs of finding screws, missing or mislabeled parts or ensuring something was done correctly can be time consuming. A screw broke off in the wrong place can take an hour or even more to correct. An unanticipated electrical problem can take a couple of hours to get straightened out. Inevitably some of the parts that are missing are the ones that are not reproduced and/or are hard to find. Even experts make mistakes that need correcting by others if they are to be responsible for the final project.

Someone noted somewhere why unfinished projects are so inexpensive to buy...this is a major reason why. Even when familiar with a car/marque, the time to complete adds up quickly and is rarely worth paying someone to finish, though the prices on these cars are beginning to warrant picking up basket cases (which seem to follow me home, though they are complete cars).

It is great news that you will be getting the car back soon and I bet that the driving experience will make this part of the journey a distant memory, enjoy the ride.

BINGO!!! A "newer customer" comes into my godson's shop, drops off a Spyder (daily driver) with a loose door pull. (scheduled appointment..customers thinking a loose attachment, I imagine). Six hours later, including welding fabrication and reassembly.
So how do you bill a guy $800-900, labor + materials for (no matter what you tell them) the customer thought it was just a loose fastener

nealric 04-19-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Frasca (Post 8170914)
BINGO!!! A "newer customer" comes into my godson's shop, drops off a Spyder (daily driver) with a loose door pull. (scheduled appointment..customers thinking a loose attachment, I imagine). Six hours later, including welding fabrication and reassembly.
So how do you bill a guy $800-900, labor + materials for (no matter what you tell them) the customer thought it was just a loose fastener

Seems to me it could have been communicated fairly quickly and easily that it was not merely a loose fastener. Customer could be given the option of paying for the fabrication or not rather than being surprised with a big bill.

Aggie57 04-19-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Frasca (Post 8170914)

I suspect the answer here is we generally buy things off people we trust, or at very least we subconsciously apply a trust level to each transaction and handle accordingly. Be it a coffee from Starbucks or a house.

That trust of course comes from several places and the reaction of the other party when presented with a quote - estimate - of $800-$900 for a loose door pull is going to be based on how much we have gone about building that trust. All sounds sales school theory I know but successful people do it all the time, whether they know it or not.

Tom Frasca 04-19-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric (Post 8170922)
Seems to me it could have been communicated fairly quickly and easily that it was not merely a loose fastener. Customer could be given the option of paying for the fabrication or not rather than being surprised with a big bill.

You must have read over the part."..no matter what you tell them..."... that included a worse case scenario, my point is an expectation- loose pull= looses fitting in the client's mind.. (BTW the shop ate a lot of the bill...) One day if we meet over a beer ..I will regale you with the $25,000 GTO exhaust stud replacement... :surprise:

Alfar7 04-19-2018 06:27 PM

This thread!

Don`t you guys think this thread has way overrun it`s course.

No one should venture into a relationship with this shop after all this vitriol.

Papajam. Shut this off!

cavilry 04-20-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfar7 (Post 8171698)

No one should venture into a relationship with this shop after all this vitriol.

Papajam. Shut this off!

I mean...I get people messaging me directly for an update so I assume people are actually interested in the outcome, which still has not been reached...

Pat Braden 04-20-2018 09:43 AM

Vintage Customs

Quote:

Papajam. Shut this off!

I also was surprised to see additional posts after Papajam's post of 4/8/2018. I assumed from the post that the thread had been locked after he posted.

I wondered if one of the poster's that I don't recognize since his post was our mysterious name-changing poster.

JJr 04-20-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Papajam. Shut this off!

Your statement is the exact reason this thread should keep going.

alfaman 04-20-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Papajam. Shut this off!

i for one would like to see it go on until the car is delivered...and a review of the work posted...too far invested at this point not to know the final outcome

Tom Frasca 04-20-2018 05:20 PM

Being new to ABB ...I find the technical info from others real-world experiences invaluable. That said, I think it is refreshing to see the community stand by a subscriber in difficult times and offer support, opinion, and empathy.

cavilry 04-23-2018 09:41 AM

Howdy all! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Well, normally Monday's suck, but today I got a little miracle...I received a call from Ariel at VC and he handed me over to Brian, the delivery driver. The car is going on a truck today and will be in my hands tomorrow night or early Wednesday morning. I don't know that Daron is still covering half of the delivery as he promised, but I will argue that out with him later. I just can't believe I will have my car back!!!!!

ECARRILLO 04-23-2018 09:44 AM

Excellent news, hope you get your car back soon!