Vintage Customs: Customers Beware - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 06:43 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I think every business, no matter what it is, has some unhappy customers.

What is that saying? You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

People make mistakes or they miss something. It's human nature.

When things are done deliberately, that's a different story. If you take parts from one customer's car and put them on another, that is dishonest. When you keep telling customers you'll do things and don't, that too is dishonest.
gprocket likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Osso, no offense but I think this has gone a bit beyond an "unhappy customer." There is no customer who would have been happy with the situation.

All, I know I said I would let this thread be but I do have an update that I feel must be mentioned. As can be seen a few posts back, when I finally received the car there was an unacceptable amount of issues. Most egregious was an inability to truly drive the car due to a rubbing driveshaft.

When I brought this to Daron's attention he relatively quickly remedied the situation by sending a car shipper to me, bringing the car back up to Washington, and fixing it. Shockingly, he was more or less on time! (4 weeks instead of promised 2 weeks) Unfortunately, not all issues were addressed but at the end of the day he fixed the big ones, kept to his word about not billing me, and shipped back and forth at his cost. It saddens me that it got to the point it did but ultimately Daron went through great expense to make it right. I can appreciate that.

Now, anyone have recommendations on how to deal with swirled clear coat, a stuck wing window, and a noisy brake booster?

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love
post #153 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilry View Post
Now, anyone have recommendations on how to deal with swirled clear coat, a stuck wing window, and a noisy brake booster?
Probably best to start a new thread with these questions. But I'll a least ask some follow up questions:

When you say swirl, do yo mean there are scratches in the clearcoat? Depending on how deep, you might be able to have them polished out.

When you say the quarter window is stuck, do you mean that when you turn the knob it tries but resists opening? If so the weatherseal is probably stuck to the glass. I would try washing it with hot, soapy water and maybe get inbetween with a thin putty knife. If the knob gear feels like it is jammed, you'll need to remove the door card and remove the gear mechanism. Not really that hard.

You'll need to describe the noise...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
". . . Most egregious was an inability to truly drive the car due to a rubbing driveshaft. . ."

"Now, anyone have recommendations on how to deal with swirled clear coat, a stuck wing window, and a noisy brake booster?
So, you don't know how to fix these things yourself? I could say more but I won't. . .

Quote:
It saddens me that it got to the point it did but ultimately Daron went through great expense to make it right. I can appreciate that.
I'm sure Daron can appreciate it too. No doubt it was worth the expense to get you out of his hair.
nunki likes this.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #155 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
Probably best to start a new thread with these questions. But I'll a least ask some follow up questions:

When you say swirl, do yo mean there are scratches in the clearcoat? Depending on how deep, you might be able to have them polished out.

When you say the quarter window is stuck, do you mean that when you turn the knob it tries but resists opening? If so the weatherseal is probably stuck to the glass. I would try washing it with hot, soapy water and maybe get inbetween with a thin putty knife. If the knob gear feels like it is jammed, you'll need to remove the door card and remove the gear mechanism. Not really that hard.

You'll need to describe the noise...
Yes, just some small scratches in the clear coat, I contacted a detailer and we'll see.

The quarter window will open, but only half way. Guess the door card is coming back off again.

I will start a different thread on the booster.
post #156 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
So, you don't know how to fix these things yourself? I could say more but I won't. . .

I'm sure Daron can appreciate it too. No doubt it was worth the expense to get you out of his hair.

Wow...I don't even know what to say to your pompous, unnecessary, rude reply.

Daron put in a 3 inch drive shaft, which did not fit with the suspension on the car. Which he fully took responsibility for so no, I can't whittle down a carbon fiber driveshaft. For the rest, yes, I do know how to fix those things (or can figure it out). I just shouldn't have to since I paid him to rebuild my car.

Get out of Daron's hair? I paid him every cent he was owed and let him get 2.5 years overdue on delivery. I think I was a more than fair customer.

You really are a ray of sunshine, my friend.

1972 GTV- Terry Tinney-built motor/transmission, Custom 1750 Interior, and a whole lotta love

Last edited by cavilry; 07-11-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: correcting language.
post #157 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:00 PM

Garage
180out, I whole heartedly have to agree with Cavilry, uncalled for. I'm sure you would feel absolutely the same if you were f**cked like he and others who have responded being in that position, including myself. When you are honest and trustworthy you want to believe the person you are working with is the same and can be somewhat blind to what is really happening. I think I would rather be honest and trustworthy then constantly being a suspicious *****, what a terrible way to go through life. DONT YOU THINK.

1966 GTA replica, 1967 Duetto, 1987 Quadrifoglio
1972, 1973, 1974 Montreal
post #158 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM
JJr

Garage
180OUT you must not have read cavilry's original complaints, maybe you didn't get your morning coffee or just got up on the wrong side of the bed.
Either way, hopefully this thread won't hear from you again, aside from a apology.
post #159 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:02 PM

Sigh. A point I've made at several points in this very long thread is that if you embark on lengthy and complex repair work like restoring an Alfa Romeo, you will be better served if you pay close attention to the work being done. The unvarnished truth is that nobody is going to care as much about your car as you do. This makes it imperative---at least in my opinion---for you to be prepared keep in constant (weekely, even daily at some points) communication with the shop as work progresses. I'm not going to waste time explaining why. If you don't get it, then you don't get it.

A little over 10 years ago another Afabb member embarked on an extensive restoration of his Super. The key to his success is that he stayed in regular contact with the shop doing the work. Here's his link:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sed...der-knife.html
nunki likes this.

post #160 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
Sigh. A point I've made at several points in this very long thread is that if you embark on lengthy and complex repair work like restoring an Alfa Romeo, you will be better served if you pay close attention to the work being done. The unvarnished truth is that nobody is going to care as much about your car as you do. This makes it imperative---at least in my opinion---for you to be prepared keep in constant (weekely, even daily at some points) communication with the shop as work progresses. I'm not going to waste time explaining why. If you don't get it, then you don't get it.

A little over 10 years ago another Afabb member embarked on an extensive restoration of his Super. The key to his success is that he stayed in regular contact with the shop doing the work. Here's his link:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sed...der-knife.html
And I don't know how many times I have to make the point that this was NOT a restoration. It was carburetors, interior, brakes, and electrical quoted at 4 months and $15000 which ballooned to 3 years and over $25,000. Prior to Daron taking the project, the motor and transmission were done, the body was done, the glass was done, etc.

You're welcome to your opinion on how someone "should" manage the project of their car being worked on by someone else (though what are you paying a premium for, then?) but where do you get off insulting my mechanical skills (I completely rebuilt a 1968 VW bus in the time VC had my car, while having a full time job) and by insinuating Daron was happy to get me "out of his hair?" I was not in Daron's hair, which is why this took so long. In fact, I would have been MORE in his hair if I'd stayed on him daily as you seem to think I should have.

You certainly don't need to be involved in this thread, that's your choice. If you want to defend Daron, please do as it was not my intention to insult his character or work. The point of this thread, which obviously people were interested in seeing, was my experience. And if you look through many of the replies, it was not a unique experience. As I've said a few times, the Alfisti are welcome to (and some should) go to VC for work, I just felt it right that someone should relay the true experience of what to expect.

Just a very interesting reply my man...tone deaf at best...
Belash and Backto105 like this.

Last edited by cavilry; 07-11-2018 at 02:34 PM.
post #161 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Even bigger sigh . . . As I said, you either get it or you don't. You are right about one thing, however. I'm outta here.
nunki likes this.

post #162 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Bye Felicia, have fun insulting people on other threads .
Scrambles likes this.

post #163 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 03:10 PM

High Road

Cavilry,I,m absolutely compelled to chime in again. Your behavior towards Darron has been just stunning in that he is still in business and thriving. I am once again blown away at God,s mercy. You have been the customer that everyone in any P.R. job wants to have. You have taken the High Road and ended up with an awesome car we would all love to have.

The comments in post #157 also have me floored. How anyone can have such arrogance! To justify such gross ineptitude, and apathy for a customer as Darron has shown should be incomprehensible, and was 'till a minute ago.

I guess we,re all learning. How to work on old cars no longer in production. How to work with old people. How to deal with bad situations.

I just want to say thank you for sharing your bad experience to help me and others avoid the same. And I want to encourage you to keep taking the high road in dealing with challenging people.
spiderJohnNH likes this.
post #164 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

I hate to dredge up an old forum post, but just for the sake of full transparency to anyone who might hazard across it and wish to know more.

Unfortunately, the car I waited so long for will be shortly coming up for sale...I finished fixing all of the things Daron missed and had a really hard look at my "toy." Now that my daughter is here, free time is in short supply. For the monthly 15 minute drive and the annual car show, I just can't justify keeping the Alfa in my garage. It deserves more than that and my family deserves some breathing room from the financial struggle of trying to live on one income in California.

Anywho, the main point of this post was that I totaled up all of the invoices from Daron and co. at Vintage Customs. Two main takeaways:

The $15,000 quote which I thought was $25,000? Actually, it was $47,135.42. A nice 318% of budget. That doesn't include the parts I ordered along the way and sent in for them. (It does, however, include the $1,300 for the driveshaft I still don't have.)

The amount of rework I paid for along the way is insane. They "catalogued" my car 3 times, even though I was sending them lists (as requested) all along. They were clearly forgetting what needed to be done as they never created any lists. They also charged me twice for the center console work, twice for brake bleeding, etc.

Water under the bridge and I'm too tired and depressed to be angry, but I did feel it was relevant info for anyone considering sending their car up there.

Hope all is well and people are getting into the driving season!
Belash and Kristianjaeger like this.

post #165 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 AM

Garage
WOW, talk about taking it up the Arse! I thought my friend who never got his car back and I who had to get it repainted got F’ed. Sorry to hear. Have faith, the Alfa community isn’t going anywhere, and when the time frees up and the funds aren’t so tight you know where t find us. Good luck.

1966 GTA replica, 1967 Duetto, 1987 Quadrifoglio
1972, 1973, 1974 Montreal

Tags
crooks, restoration shop, shop, vintage customs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode