I suppose I could have unbolted the convertible top frame from the car and repainted it separately, but I chose to leave it attached to the car since it was properly adjusted, operated correctly, and the old top fit perfectly.
So after covering the interior with some inexpensive HF moving blankets, and some 2 mil plastic drop cloth material, I got to work with a 4” diameter, 80 grit nylon abrasive wheel on my drill motor. I finished up with some hand sanding, beginning with 150 grit sandpaper, and ending with 220.
Here's a picture of the nylon abrasive wheel I started with and a couple shots of how the frame looked after I was done sanding:
'88 Quad - "Claudia"