79 Spider fresh from body shop - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 06:39 AM

You have set your car up the same way that I want to do my 79. I like the combination of Euro style (light weight) bumpers with modern interior. What kind of seat belt setup is that?

Your ride height and tire/wheel combination looks spot on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

The seats are out of an 86 Veloce. I had them recovered in cloth. A local guy did a nice job for $200 cash.
The springs are the Vick Auto/IAP sports. I also have two right side front spring pans with no spacers. The shocks are what where on the car when I bought it. They may be original but they are not the black SPICA shocks that I have seen on other cars of this vintage. They work fine with the stiffer springs.

The standard bumpers are pretty heavy. I think that the handling is compromised by having those lumps at the extremes of the car.

Ed
Richee likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:07 PM

Nice job what a beautiful ride. I was curious what the specs are on the tires you chose?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
I was curious what the specs are on the tires you chose?
You are challenging my memory. It got 15" wheels five or six years ago. I think that they were Falken Ziex 195/65 -14.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
Hi Bill:
It still has the 4.56 axle! The new engine is revving well and I may not need to install the 4.1. And I have bought a 12.2 mm camshaft from Richard Jemison, so it may need that 4.56 ratio.
Ed
With the extra power of your new cams, You might find the 4.56 trouble. The problem is actually in the TX - the first gear is very low, with a large gap to 2nd. This started with the little sub-80HP 1300 engines in the 50's, but with more power there is no trouble getting moving from a stop. Instead you have to shift to 2nd about the time you've crossed the intersection, especially if you made a vigorous departure.

Close ratio gears in the TX solves this problem, but they are costly and hard to find. I managed to get a set a lot of years ago, and got a 4.3 LS axle from an Euro sedan! That made the perfect combination for AX, where I was constantly rowing from 1st to 2nd. The 4.56 just added to the problem.

Robert
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I have had a 4.1 axle for the past couple of years. 7000 rpm in 4th is almost 110 mph and 5th is a nice cruising gear. I think that Richard got my 4.56 for a race car.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode