Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Type 2 Spider - Photo Thread

326K views 886 replies 203 participants last post by  marcphil2 
#1 ·
Can anyone link me to a thread featuring photos of type 2 spiders? I am wanting to see what other owners have done...colors, wheels, mods, restorations, etc.

Thanks in advance! Happy Alfa motoring to all on Fathers Day!

#4 ·
Well, since you ask, here's a picture of my '76 S2. It has been converted to earlier bumpers, plus a few other go-fast items. Primary use is for autocross competition.

perhaps we can just start one now. PLEASE post photos of your spider, series 2 preferred!!!:cool:

Thanks!

Attachments

Reactions: Gurubroker
#821 ·
looks great..... and those wheels are very period 60's and 70's anyway. The 5 spoke star were popular on Ferrari's and many other cars of the time.

#11 ·
Here is my '74 staring down a Ferrari a couple years back. F badges and side marker lights removed by previous owner. PO also repainted lighter shade of green than original (Verde Inglese?), which can be still be seen in a few out-of-the-way spots. Mechanical mods include 10.4 pistons, RML ignition, chassis stiffener, Koni reds, and C'line sport springs. Thanks for starting this thread and to others for posting.

Attachments

#14 ·
My 78....

Best Regards,
John M

#16 ·
Thanks Geneo:

I used the same source as George. We have the same brackets. Reoriginals and Spiderpoint sell the brackets as well.

I haven't taken any pictures lately...here is one from an autocross last fall.

Best Regards,
John M

#18 ·
Beautiful car, John (all of them, really) and an honor to have the "Meanie" (aka Sylvia Poggioli) mentioned in the same paragraph. Yours is the one that somehow retained her youthful appearance perfectly, while mine had a few wild years and is starting to show her age but still looks okay as long as she doesn't stand right next to her sister :)...

#19 ·
I've got a quick question, what year did the exterior rear view mirrors change from chrome/metal to plastic? Then what year did they add mirrors on the passanger side too? I'm curious because I'd like to get a chrome mirror on my 78, wich has a single plastic mirror, I'm just worried it would look put of place on a cream car.

#20 · (Edited)
Hey John M.,

What size tires and wheels are you running? Did you have any fitment issues getting those big meats in there?

John S. and Jim M.: I love Spiders in green. And yet I have two that were originally green until the POs decided they needed to be red. Just what we need - another red Alfa...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Regularity rally

FrankenAlfa '71 Series 2 with Series 1 nose (formally green). Or the missing link?? Watch for it on eBay - "Extremely rare Series 1.5 - Starting Bid: $40,000. Bid with Confidence..." ;)

#26 ·
Hey John M.,

What size tires and wheels are you running? Did you have any fitment issues getting those big meats in there?
Hey Rich:

Those are just 205 50 15s...hoosiers!:D Sitting on 15x7 wheels. No issues with the outer fenders. But I am running spacers to get some clearance on the inside of the tire near the top of the inner fenders near the shock towers. And spacers on the front to miss the control arms. Still will occasionally rub a little on the 78. The 92 rubs like a banshee even with the spacers. I think I need to rebush the rear end. Smoked the inside of the rears autocrossing like I was a Nascar driver!

The chrome daytonas in the first picture have 215 60 14s and don't rub. Its all in the back spacing. BTW....love those chromos on your FrankenAlfa! Most attractive wheel IMHO for these cars.

Towards Alfaseb's question...I don't know when the conversion happened. I suppose you could retro easily, but may have to do some paint work if the mirror bases don't match up perfectly. Also...if you did the mirrors, you should complete the transformation by adding the stainless wiper arms and blades, and the stainless bumpers!:D

Best Regards,
John M

#21 ·
Series 2's eh? bought today!

Here's the Series 2 Spider (1974) that we bought just today to replace last December's totaled 1979 Spider. I see you don't have any blue cars yet on this thread. This one's due for some Mille Miglia wheels. We'll see how the tires are then. Presently a non-runner with some dents and some rust. Probably some significant hidden bondo, too.

Michael

Attachments

#22 ·
original side mirror

out of curiosity, what was the original side mirror for the 73 and 74's? On one I had a round chrome and the other has a trapezoid chrome. Both driver-side mounted only. I see a lot of early 70's with plastic mirrors and on both sides. Where those add-ons/options?
Cheers,

#28 ·
out of curiosity, what was the original side mirror for the 73 and 74's? On one I had a round chrome and the other has a trapezoid chrome. Both driver-side mounted only. I see a lot of early 70's with plastic mirrors and on both sides. Where those add-ons/options?

The original sales brochures on the CarDisc show the round chrome mirrors, driver's side only for both '73 and '74. Others, e.g. the trapezoid chrome or the black rectangular plastic ("tornado?") ones, could have been a dealer installed option? The bases for the round chrome ones are the smallest, I believe, so putting a larger-based mirror would have avoided the paint issue John M mentions, but not vice versa.

FWIW, going the sales brochures year by year, the first brochure that shows the black plastic mirrors is from '78, on the Niki Lauda edition. But who knows with Alfa and the inconsistency that is part of their charm.

This post has been deleted
#34 ·
While browsing through the BB on a 6 degree Winter morning, it is nice to think of playing with my Red '76 Spider last summer... The photographer seemed to like "artsy" angled shots. And, before somebody gives me a hard time, the hanging emergency brake cable has been secured.

Attachments

#32 ·
Verde Inglese

As with Green Meanie and Road Trip, I have one of those 74 vintage, in what I previously thought was a 'rare' color....A "bit" tuned - Mild cams, head, etc., HP Spica pump by Wes Ingram, and HC pistons.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.