1982 GTV6 Balocco #114 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mz107

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
1982 GTV6 Balocco #114

This is my GTV6, which I picked up about 2 years ago. The list of things I have fixed or cleaned up already is pretty long and there is soo much more to do! The rust spots are my biggest frustration, all are fixable but I am not a fabricator and my welding skills are just so, so. But I love this car and plan on tinkering with her for a long time to come. Name:  IMAG0658.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0659.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  73.4 KB
Attached Images

markdiamondgtv6 likes this.

Last edited by mz107; 11-28-2014 at 04:18 AM. Reason: More pic's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:00 PM

Garage
Hey mz - nice rims!
Now I know what you meant by our Alfa's looking like twins.
Looks like yours is in good, long term hands. Isn't it a good feeling when you complete a task, step back and see the improvement?
Nice going,
Hope to see you in the spring,
- Art
Balocco #077.

2007 Aston DB9, 1994 Alfa 164 LS, 1982 Alfa GTV6 Balocco SE, 1975 Maserati Bora, 1967 Plymouth Satellite convertible, 1965 Plymouth Satellite hardtop
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz107 View Post
This is my GTV6, which I picked up about 2 years ago. The list of things I have fixed or cleaned up already is pretty long and there is soo much more to do! The rust spots are my biggest frustration, all are fixable but I am not a fabricator and my welding skills are just so, so. But I love this car and plan on tinkering with her for a long time to come. Attachment 678082

Attachment 678090
This car looks like deja vu, here's mine. (I'm also originally from Staten Island coincidentally)
Attached Images

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That is a nice looking car! Where are you now? Since you don't have a front plate you must be south of NY these days. Which # Balocco is that? I know stop with questions, I have only seen 1 other GTV6 on Staten Island and it wasn't a Balocco, however his car was very nice under the hood. Wiring was clean and original. I took many picture so I could use for clean up in mine.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
That is a nice looking car! Where are you now? Since you don't have a front plate you must be south of NY these days. Which # Balocco is that? I know stop with questions, I have only seen 1 other GTV6 on Staten Island and it wasn't a Balocco, however his car was very nice under the hood. Wiring was clean and original. I took many picture so I could use for clean up in mine.
Thanks! Nope, north of NY - in Massachusetts. I don't recall the Balocco # unfortunately, and don't have immediate access to check (the car's in a friend's garage, in winter hibernation). The car originally was in Georgia, I'm the 3rd owner I believe, I bought it here in Massachusetts and have had it now for more than 20 years. Still love it.

If you're interested, Autoweek did a nice feature on the car in their on-line edition last year, here's the link:

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco stays sharp | Autoweek
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 01:14 PM

Actually, the article mentions that my car is Balocco #116. I'll take their word for it!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Very good article, nice show case of your car. I also liked your honesty about the Balocco/ Maratona not being anything special. I have to admit when I saw the first Balocco I did love the color and strip and the add on's, but you are correct all just cosmetic! They should have put the positrac transaxle in these cars and better cam's but I guess that's up to us. Car still makes me smile when I drive it! and I am always asked what is it?
You mentioned having the engine rebuilt, how long ago? Was it a total rebuild? and of course How much?? If you don't mind me asking. I just did the seals on the bottom of the engine while I have it out but I didn't change the oil pump or crank bearings (I did change Crank seals). Mostly want to clean up the oil leaks from the pans. I am going to bring it in for the heads to be completely over hauled, and I'm thinking half measures is all this poor car has ever known and I do plan on keeping her for a while.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Some of the work completed was re-wiring of all the lights in front of the GTV6, which were mostly non-functional. I did replace and paint the mirror covers to match the red.
Attached Images

Last edited by mz107; 03-08-2015 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Add picture
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:35 AM

Work looks great!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Very good article, nice show case of your car. I also liked your honesty about the Balocco/ Maratona not being anything special. I have to admit when I saw the first Balocco I did love the color and strip and the add on's, but you are correct all just cosmetic! They should have put the positrac transaxle in these cars and better cam's but I guess that's up to us. Car still makes me smile when I drive it! and I am always asked what is it?
You mentioned having the engine rebuilt, how long ago? Was it a total rebuild? and of course How much?? If you don't mind me asking. I just did the seals on the bottom of the engine while I have it out but I didn't change the oil pump or crank bearings (I did change Crank seals). Mostly want to clean up the oil leaks from the pans. I am going to bring it in for the heads to be completely over hauled, and I'm thinking half measures is all this poor car has ever known and I do plan on keeping her for a while.
I had the car restored a long time ago - 1999. Engine was rebuilt at the same time, as it was smoking beforehand. I put in a set of 164S cams at the time, but that was about the only major mechanical alteration (the Stebro exhaust came later). Don't recall the cost, sorry! A lot of stuff was done at the same time, primarily bodywork.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode