105 cigarette lighter survey - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

105 cigarette lighter survey

I know I should probably log this under technical but i think more people will spot it here and I want a good sample.

just for the sake of knowing, how many people out there who own a 105 of any description have a fully functioning cigarette lighter in their car ?

Also does anyone know how the damm thing is suppossed to work ?

Cheers,

Phil

Phil
1961 MGA 1600 Roadster, British Racing Green
1966 Giulia Sprint GT ,Argento
1970 1750 GTV s2, Verde Olivo Metallica (AR213)
2005 Holden Rodeo LT Crew Cab, Fox Fire Red

{Oo==V==oO}

Previously owned
1983 Ford Laser KB, Beige
1985 Volvo 360 GLT Dark Mettalic Blue
1970 GT Junior stepnose Resprayed Red, Giallo Ochre
1923 Amilcar Sports, rusty
I may only own two ALFAs now, but the handle stays as I am always chasing another one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 07:53 AM

Garage
Hi Phil,

I have a 1969 1750 GTV and the lighter works on mine - I don't even smoke !

You put the end of the cigarette fully into the lighter, then push the outer ring away from you, until it locks - the filament then heats up slowly, accompanied by a burning smell, and when it's finished the outer ring pops back out automatically like a toaster.

Paul
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 08:03 AM

I have one in my car and recently took one out of a 2000 GTV. Neither of them work or serve any useful purpose.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 08:16 AM

Quote:
filament
Filament is on my list of cool/funny-sounding english words - along with scrutineering!
Anyways: I dont even have a cigarette lighter in my car - I have tried with several others from other cars - but they are too big! I dont smoke - have tried, since it looks SO cool - but I would still like to have a lighter, since the dash looks silly with that gaping hole - so if anyone has a spare for sale, I'd like to know!

Jørgen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 1300GT Junior
1971 2000 Spider (racecar!)
1964 Vespa Gran Sport
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 08:20 AM
alfa of-corse

I replaced mine with a generic lighter from an Auto Parts store, the stock one was working fine, but now i can charge a cell phone or plug in a Radar Detector, not that an Alfa driver would need one of those now would they?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 08:51 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
The one in my Alfetta works, I even used to use it when I smoked. I also picked up an NOS one for my Spider. I'll bet you can get handfuls of them from AFRA.

Brian __________________________________

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Have one working lighter, one NOS spare and one non-working lighter. An absolute must for a correct restoration. Heck, the looks on the faces of non-Alfa people when they see a cigarette inserted into the lighter is worth the price of admission alone but their reaction when the thing goes 'ding' at the end of it's cycle is priceless!
Attached Images

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

The PO replaced the "drop-in" style lighter with a conventional one, out of an Alfetta I think.

I don't smoke, but it certainly works to power things like my G-Tech Pro and phone charger.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 12:07 PM

Did AR switch lighter styles at some point? Both 69 GTVs I've owned had the drop in lighter, but my current 74 GTV has a "regular" one. Was the drop in replaced at some point, or do the later GTVs have the regular pop out lighter?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Ken Lee
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 02:21 PM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

If Alfa switched to a 'regular' pop out lighter (or irregular depending on which side of the fence you're on), it was after '74. The drop-in lighter, p/n 105.02.65.035.00, is shown in the '74 parts book as the correct lighter and it's operation is described in the '74 owners manuals for the 2l Berlina, GTV and Spider.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Wow. Great response. Well mine is without a doubt broken. I will either have to give up or learn to light a smoke will steering with my knees.

Take care,

Phil

Phil

{Oo==V==oO}

Previously owned
I may only own two ALFAs now, but the handle stays as I am always chasing another one.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Speaking of ALFA lighters, how cool is this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0&category=595

Phil

{Oo==V==oO}

Previously owned
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 01:49 AM

Phil,
I recently disassembled and cleaned my lighter in hopes of getting it to work. I must've done something right because I can now park a cigarette in the hole and it's lit long before the outer ring pops out. Pretty cool.
Attached Images

Kai Schorr
105.36 : 1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Kai, I disassembled a broken spare one and I made it worse. I would sure like one of those for my sprint.

One by one my electrics seem to be packing in. Last week it was my headlights. this week it seems to be my wipers. Tried the fuses, no problems there, I got a shock from the switch. I hope the motor is not shot. i really don't feel like extracting one from my spare car. Has anyone ever done this ?

Phil

{Oo==V==oO}

Previously owned
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 12:47 PM

Yeah, those early cigarette lighters are hilarious. You put the cigarette in, and it smokes it for you!

Steve S.
'65 GTA
no cigarette lighter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode