Apollo owners, present or past? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Apollo owners, present or past?

Anyone have an Apollo, the Italian-looking Buick-motored Intermeccanica of 1963-65 or so? There were three at Concorso a few years ago.
Thanks.
RB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Banned

Apollo

There is an Apollo for sale written about here:

1964 Apollo 3500GT For Sale
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 01:19 AM

This yellow one (with nice green interior) was for sale for years and years, but has been sold :
Detail

There is a blue one in The Netherlands also.

1) Ferrari 308 GTB QV 2) MG B GT 3) Mazda MX5 4) BMW 320Ci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 PM

Apollo and derivatives

They are not extremely rare but are not seen very often. Of course, some were sold as "Vetta Ventura" and this seems to make each version rarer than they are. There was Apollo-Oakland, Apollo-Pasadena, and Vetta Ventura out of Texas.

My father had an Apollo GT5000 many years ago. It was a nice car in many ways even though it had suffered a minor engine fire. My father purchased it from an insurance company which had sold off some important parts(!). It was chassis "1072". We made a lexan windscreen (sold by insurance company), fitted Dunlop wire wheels in place of the Borrani (sold off by the Insurance company), and I modified two XKE rear bumpers to resemble the original bumpers, one of which ... had been sold off by the insurance company. Only the engine cover required some paint because of the fire. It was a pleasant driver.

I tried for years to collect Apollo historical data and assembled a registry even if most Apollo owners could seem to care less. Milt Brown, the original creator of the Apollo is a friend but also could seem to care less about describing the cars historically. He is always thinking about his next project and has little interest in the past. This is not unusual for folks who actually create things. Ron Plescia, also a friend and also in on the original design, sent a batch of historical notes and leads to additional info. There have been other keepers of registries as well. I tried for years to exchange info with Dr. Bob Turcios, a guy who began a registry much earlier than I. Never a response. I now record Apollo information (and all Intermeccanica information) when I trip across it but no longer make any real effort. The cars deserve to have someone make more of an effort but I've given up on the owners. There are exceptions but, as a group, they simply do not seem to have any interest in recording the histories of their cars or even cataloguing the production with any precision.

I also made multiple atttempts to contact the next owner of 1072 once I found a few bits from the car left behind in my father's garage. It s been a while since I thought of this as the parts are stored away and it would take me some time even to find them. There is one rear bumper and some windscreen trim. He did not seem to want those bits as he never followed through to come collect them even after I contacted him several times over approximately ten years. Yeah, I know. "We are all busy." But, now that I've moved them a few times and stored them away (a few years ago) and will have to make some efforts to find them again, the parts are no longer going to be given away even to the owner of 1072.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 09:36 PM

Apollo 1072

Quote:
Originally Posted by iicarJohn View Post
They are not extremely rare but are not seen very often. Of course, some were sold as "Vetta Ventura" and this seems to make each version rarer than they are. There was Apollo-Oakland, Apollo-Pasadena, and Vetta Ventura out of Texas.

My father had an Apollo GT5000 many years ago. It was a nice car in many ways even though it had suffered a minor engine fire. My father purchased it from an insurance company which had sold off some important parts(!). It was chassis "1072". We made a lexan windscreen (sold by insurance company), fitted Dunlop wire wheels in place of the Borrani (sold off by the Insurance company), and I modified two XKE rear bumpers to resemble the original bumpers, one of which ... had been sold off by the insurance company. Only the engine cover required some paint because of the fire. It was a pleasant driver.

I tried for years to collect Apollo historical data and assembled a registry even if most Apollo owners could seem to care less. Milt Brown, the original creator of the Apollo is a friend but also could seem to care less about describing the cars historically. He is always thinking about his next project and has little interest in the past. This is not unusual for folks who actually create things. Ron Plescia, also a friend and also in on the original design, sent a batch of historical notes and leads to additional info. There have been other keepers of registries as well. I tried for years to exchange info with Dr. Bob Turcios, a guy who began a registry much earlier than I. Never a response. I now record Apollo information (and all Intermeccanica information) when I trip across it but no longer make any real effort. The cars deserve to have someone make more of an effort but I've given up on the owners. There are exceptions but, as a group, they simply do not seem to have any interest in recording the histories of their cars or even cataloguing the production with any precision.

I also made multiple atttempts to contact the next owner of 1072 once I found a few bits from the car left behind in my father's garage. It s been a while since I thought of this as the parts are stored away and it would take me some time even to find them. There is one rear bumper and some windscreen trim. He did not seem to want those bits as he never followed through to come collect them even after I contacted him several times over approximately ten years. Yeah, I know. "We are all busy." But, now that I've moved them a few times and stored them away (a few years ago) and will have to make some efforts to find them again, the parts are no longer going to be given away even to the owner of 1072.
I acquired 1072 a week ago. I am very interested in any history of this diamond in the rough.
Please get ahold of me.
[email protected]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 09:33 PM

Garage
Could-a, should-a, would-a!
If only foresight were as clear as hindsight.

I remember when these were hard to sell, nice runners at around $1500.00
And V12 Ferrari's at under $10K at the same venue.

I recall a rumor that the body bucks for them still exist and that bodies can still be ordered?
I've been in the kit car business before, want to know how to make a small fortune?
Start with a large one, then go into selling kit cars.

Twin-Cam Hemi, Webers, Headers, Overdrive, Disc brakes, and no emissions equipment to spoil it all. These are gonna be FUN rides!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 04:52 PM

Iam restoring 1072 and would like to contact past owners.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:19 AM

I own #0058. I sort of wish I had bought a completed car long ago when I bought this one. The restoration process has been extremely lengthy.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:58 PM
Gold Subscriber

I never owned an Apollo but in the mid sixties a young man in my Southeast Los Angeles neighborhood had a red one. The fellow was a member of a successful music group called the Association which had a number of pretty big hits back then. His name was Larry or maybe Del Ramos. In my car crazy high school that Apollo created a sensation when it would cruise by.

Just a couple of years ago I saw a nice Apollo entered in the Copper State 1000 which is a bucks up charity rally here in Arizona.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:29 AM

Apollo 1072

My notes show that my father purchased 1072 during October 1982. It no longer had its original iron block engine but another had been fitted. My efforts to learn more led me to contact Ron Plescia, the man who did the initial body sketches. Later, when Ron saw the car or perhaps some photos, he called it "the droopy pants car" because the rear portion of the body was different than the others in that it dropped from the rear axle to the tail in a way that is more pronounced than others. Said to have been green originally, the car had orange paint when purchased 1982. It came to my father from an insurance company (San Francisco Bay Area) and we never learned the previous owner's name or location.

1072 had experienced a minor engine fire that damaged some wiring and cooked an area of paint on the bonnet/hood. Parts sold off by the insurance company included the windshield, the right rear bumper and the Borrani wheels and splined adapters. The Intermeccanica badges and the hood latch were also missing, presumed either sold or stolen. Once we got car cleaned up and the engine running (new carburetor fitted?), it was a pleasant car to drive.

I scanned these images about five years ago in a block of four and only cropped them this morning back into individual images. The photos were taken in Walnut Creek (CA) during the Spring of 1984 after I'd repainted the hood and modified Jaguar XKE rear bumpers to fit the rear. I believe that Jaguar splined hubs were modified so that the 15" Dunlop wires could be fitted in place of the Borrani 400mm wheels. Other cars in the background are: Fiat 500 (Topolino, body only), an MG-TD chassis, two Arnolt MG examples (coupe and convertible) from 1953, the nose of my mother's Morris Oxford Traveler and the tail of a unique Maserati A6G/2000 coupe Frua. There's also a Volvo 144 and a VW bus powered by a Volvo 2.0, used often as a tow vehicle on cross-country trips.

I think it was later during 1984 when 1072 was sold to a guy named Chuck Blair who worked in Concord, California.

Much later, I learned that this "1967" car (numbered "A-67GT-1072") was first sold September 20, 1966 as an unfinished example along with two other Apollo cars to Ron Kellogg of Whittier, California. This is all I know about the ownership history. I have only a portion of the original rubber trim (deteriorated) from the windshield opening and the left rear bumper. I have some earlier images shared by Ron Kellogg.
Attached Images

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:49 AM

Six years ago (August 2013), I wandered purposefully into the Concorso Italiano as some folks were arriving and setting up a day early, if I recall correctly. Aside from a Siata Gran Sport (SL*0307*B, my purpose for wandering in), I saw (and photographed) at least eight Apollo/Vetta Ventura examples! Plus there were seemingly two that were covered. There may have been more that were displayed during the actual show?

I also have a couple of photos of three examples at the same event some thirteen years earlier. I have made no effort to identify chassis numbers for these cars as yet.

Here are the images I have from August 2000.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode