Fiat 1500 Stabilimenti Farina - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM

I have pictures from ruoteclassiche of a Fiat 1100B Stabilimenti Farina Convertible with a body just like this one.. looking for the issue now but was a 2005 or 2006 issue.. It was no article but a readers letter.. I will ask the people I know in Italy a bit.
Dr etcetrini.. Tnks for comments on my little darling, my 1100S.. The Car is strictly Fiat, however a S, no ES as far as I can gather. Chassisnumber is older than ES Pininfarina prototype car strangely enough. It was in an even worse state than the 1500 Farina above. Almost running now... I'll keep you posted ! Paint shop soon ... :-)

Ferrari 330GT2+2 series 1, Fiat 1100SMM Pinin Farina,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:04 PM

ruoteclassiche

I just found the issue but I have cut the page out and it must somewhere among my files .. obviously not FILED yet.. Looking still Issue is however Ruoteclassiche no 194 February 2005 I am sure it can be ordered as a back issue.. Is was 1100E Farina. just slighly smaller than 1500
Nik

post #18 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:51 PM

Farina = Pinin Farina or Stabilimenti Farina?

I think it should be evident by this time that "Farina" should rarely be used by itself unless you are writing about flour. That is, unless I am the only one who is ever confused by the mistaken assumption about which coachbuilder is being referred to?

Just to be clear, the two coachbuilding entities were completely separate even if there was the occasional effort done in harmony, the most obvious example being the 202 Cisitalia which were bodied similarly by Pinin Farina, Stabilimenti Farina and Vignale. On many occasions these cars had duplicate Cisitalia chassis numbers coming from different carrozzerie! This has made for a confused picture of Cisitalia production. Keeping ourselves accurate on the coachbuilders, explaining their build numbering systems as well as the body configuration of each car will allow us to figure it all out. If not, I fear that confusion will continue to dominate our discussions of these cars.

I have been collecting coachwork numbers for these cars for more than 25 years and it is still amazing to me that many people can see no value in doing so. With Pinin Farina (later "Pininfarina") the numbering system was not precisely linear for the entire production so each body number does not necessarily have strong implications as to where to place the car's origins in time. For Stabilimenti Farina, it would appear that the numbers were applied linearly through time. With enough information collected, we may be able to predict when a project was initiated.

I've only recently found a numbering system for some 1940's and 1950's Vignale-bodied cars as well. Many cars bodied by Vignale have seemingly not had a body number (that was easily found anyway) so I've been tempted to believe that Vignale had no such system until late in the 1950's. But, it now seems that there was a system. It may be that it was not applied across the gamut of their production or it may be that not all cars were marked in the same way?

More study is needed for each car individually, each coachbuilder in general, each chassis/engine builder, and much more. There is a lot to do. Please help by noting what you can for each car. I am quite sure that a Pinin Farina bodied Fiat 1100S will have a body number to be found somewhere. I am quite certain that a Stabilimenti Farina bodied Fiat 1500 will have a body number to be found. When those numbers can be placed in a listing alongside numbers collected from Siata and Cisitalia and Jowett Jupiter and Lancia and Ferrari and who-knows-what, then we we know a bit more. And when someone adds a number to that data collection we will know a bit more. Ad infinitum. I am pleased and proud to have advanced the studies of these kinds of cars but I am also more than a bit frustrated that many others can not seem to be bothered to join in the efforts. If you want to learn more, collect your little bit of data and share it. With me. With somebody.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

Last edited by iicarJohn; 04-29-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: word substitution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

1500 Balbo

Hello iicarJohn,
for your list a Balbo, which was offered with Ebay
Attached Images

post #20 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

body number

Thanks for the list. I have today try the body number to find (in engine compartment, on A column and various parts from aluminum). There is also no sign with four pays. Perhaps I find something with the restoration. The parts from iron are too rusty in instant
post #21 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

number

Motor+chassis number
Attached Images

post #22 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

door handles

I read somewhere that such door handles are completely typical for certain body company or designers
Attached Images

post #23 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM

Fiat 1500 (6 cylinder)

Thanks for the photos.

Is there a chassis number to accompany the photos of the 1500 cabriolet Balbo offered on eBay?

Regarding the Stabilimenti Farina car,
What does the ID plate say precisely before the chassis & engine numbers? "1500C" or "1500D" ... or "1500E" as you've alluded as a possibility?

I have found notes and/or body numbers scratched on the back sides of Fiat ID plates before, so you might learn something by having a look at the back side. Then again, most often not. Stabilimenti Farina tended to put all four digits of their body number on something fairly prominent behind the seats of the car. Sometimes a plate on the driveshaft tunnel towards the rear and sometimes on a part of the body at the rear of the cockpit. Can't say they were absolutely consistent in this, but Stabilimenti Farina bodies tend to be well marked.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry
post #24 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Fiat 1500 Balbo ID 46278

FIAT 1500 CABRIO BALBO Annunci Auto d'epoca, storiche e moderne: Annunci gratuiti con foto

This Siata was also with Ebay. I unfortunately missed that. But but I have now mine Fiats.
Attached Images

post #25 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Heavy one asks.

What is that? Surely no Farina
Attached Images

post #26 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:17 AM

I would tend to agree it's none of the Farinas. Is it a 1100 or a 1500?
post #27 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

handles

The red car is my Czech Skoda 420 Sport Monte Carlo from the year 1938.

But now really to topic.
Does someone know somewhat about the door handles? Does someone have experience with the Michelotti register? Those offer assistance, but answer not.
post #28 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

There are the Fiats 1100 and Simca 8 in different variations. Those are however pure two-seaters. Me Fiats 6C admitted to have four seats and the size of Alfa 6C. One sees that correct from the side.
Attached Images

post #29 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:35 PM

1500 Vignale

here a pic a a 1500 Vignale from turin 1948
Attached Images

post #30 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte carlo View Post
There are the Fiats 1100 and Simca 8 in different variations. Those are however pure two-seaters. Me Fiats 6C admitted to have four seats and the size of Alfa 6C. One sees that correct from the side.

The blue conv't is very attractive, and as it looks very much like this Alfa 6c2500, I'll assume it is also a Michelotti design..

http://www.grandprixmodels.co.uk/sho...g/BRK43223.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode