Lancia Vandalism - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Lancia Vandalism

Hi there, so, I'm unfortunately in the position of having to ask for some assistance in repairing my Lancia Fulvia after it was vandalized in it's locked garage. Normally, I'd just suck it up and pay for it myself, but I've been extremely underemployed for 2 years now, and I just can't swing the repaint job. I've barely been driving the car other than exercising it every two weeks, since I know I can't currently afford major repairs. I opened my rented garage one day to find that the car had be vandalized - a swastika and the word "Fag" scratched into the paint, and one of the rear view mirrors smashed and bent beyond recognition (a $1k replacement!). I don't know why this happened, the police were called and a hate crime reported, but there were no cameras and I don't know of anyone who has a beef with me - or even knows that I parked the car where I did. So, I'm not expecting justice, but I do need help getting the car presentable!
I've since moved the car to a new private garage, but if anyone wants and is able to contribute to the gofundme campaign my partner has started, I'd be eternally grateful. And if you're ever in SF and need a place to stay, I have an extra room in the heart of the Mission District, and would be happy to host you as a big thank you!
Sorry if this rubs anyone the wrong way - it's not my style, but I really need my car repainted and it's happening at a time where I can't afford to cover it myself. Thanks for any support - and if you can't donate, it would be appreciated if you could repost on social media and spread the word.
Thank you!

- Jeff Barhoum
https://www.gofundme.com/together-against-a-hate-crime

Jeff B.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:10 AM

Very sorry to see, people can be disgusting. Best of luck to you.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:06 PM

Sorry to see.

Does your insurance not cover this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 01:51 PM

How's that go-fund-me thing working for you ??

Might work for the up-coming valve job on the 911 !
Attached Images

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:43 PM

Garage
Jeff, I am sorry to read about your car being damaged while in a locked garage. My 164-S was damaged while at a movie theatre one night by a "souvenir collector" that tried to remove the chrome plated plastic Alfa Romeo script with something like a screwdriver; he should have carried dental floss -it works better. Also the thief managed to pry off the Alfa emblem that covers the trunk lock. The theatre manager said I'd have to file a police report before they would review their tapes...anyway for a plastic emblem they damaged the original paint and stole or messed up two badges.

What kind of mirror was on the car? I have a nice spare Talbot clone, if it will help (send me a PM).

I suspect that your hood could be repaired without requiring a full body repaint too. The $4,300 donated would probably more than cover that repair work. I understand being underemployed and having the car done right as well.

Best wishes,

Mark
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieandthemag View Post
Sorry to see.

Does your insurance not cover this ?
he needs a new insurance company if his current company will not cover it.

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 04:46 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Wow, that's terrible. What is with people that do that kind of thing. I'm really sorry to see this. Best of luck with the fundraiser. It's all going to work out.

Yes, what kind of mirror(s) is on your car.

101/105GUY, your comment is totally inappropriate.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post

Man, that's an understatement! Then again it's what we've come to expect from this member...

Sorry to hear about the car...

Last edited by gprocket; 06-28-2017 at 10:41 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 AM

Garage
I'm sorry to hear about that.

There are some sick people in this world.

Peter

Peter
1991 Spider S4 & 2004 156 GTA Selespeed
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:50 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Sorry that happened to you, Jeff.

Donation sent.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Indeed!
I thought it so inappropriate and distasteful that I've removed it from public view.

@101/105guy,
Any more rude, distasteful or inappropriate posts like that, in any forum, will make you a prize winner;
...a two week vacation from this site.

Jim
Admin
NCboatrx likes this.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Thanks Jim.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Hi again, sorry for the delayed response. On top of this episode, my mother's cancer returned and I had to leave town to help with her recovery from surgery.

I already tracked down and purchased some Talbot mirrors. The insurance company - Hagerty - will pay to repair the damage and "blend the paint" about $3500 worth. (I've put in $4k, but I'm still at least $7k short of a full repaint, provided nothing scary is found under the paint - that'll go on the credit card!). The problem being that the paint is pretty shot. They said I'd be stuck with shiny new paint blended into old paint. I wasn't thrilled with this, I'm totally cool with the entire car having dull paint, but I really can't live with the mixed look. It's a case of "if you're going to do the front, might as well do the whole thing) My partner was the one who started the campaign as he wants me happy with the result, as it's bad enough to have the car vandalized, but to then have a visual reminder of it every time you look at the car isn't ideal.

Looks like I missed some more hateful speech?
@GV27 - Thank you!

Jeff B.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan

Last edited by sfalfa; 06-28-2017 at 09:42 AM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalfa View Post
I didn't see the post as hateful per se -- just as very, very, VERY insensitive (and therefore inappropriate).
Sorry about the vandalism and thanks to Jim for cleaning up the thread!!!

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 12:03 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
Indeed!
I thought it so inappropriate and distasteful that I've removed it from public view.

@101/105guy,
Any more rude, distasteful or inappropriate posts like that, in any forum, will make you a prize winner;
...a two week vacation from this site.

Jim
Admin
It felt really good to push that little button. Thanks, Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalfa View Post
Hi again, sorry for the delayed response. On top of this episode, my mother's cancer returned and I had to leave town to help with her recovery from surgery.

I already tracked down and purchased some Talbot mirrors. The insurance company - Hagerty - will pay to repair the damage and "blend the paint" about $3500 worth. (I've put in $4k, but I'm still at least $7k short of a full repaint, provided nothing scary is found under the paint - that'll go on the credit card!). The problem being that the paint is pretty shot. They said I'd be stuck with shiny new paint blended into old paint. I wasn't thrilled with this, I'm totally cool with the entire car having dull paint, but I really can't live with the mixed look. It's a case of "if you're going to do the front, might as well do the whole thing) My partner was the one who started the campaign as he wants me happy with the result, as it's bad enough to have the car vandalized, but to then have a visual reminder of it every time you look at the car isn't ideal.

@GV27 - Thank you!
The only thing you missed is the support of your fellow BB'ers. But, you're all caught up now.

I'm like you, it's better to have all dull or all shiny, but not a mixture. Try to look at the good side of all of this, your baby is going to get a fresh coat of paint and maybe (hopefully not) some rust repair.

I hope for the best with your mom's health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
I didn't see the post as hateful per se -- just as very, very, VERY insensitive (and therefore inappropriate).
Sorry about the vandalism and thanks to Jim for cleaning up the thread!!!
Yes, thanks Jimmy!

Brian __________________________________

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode